A bit quiet on the new dash cam front?

Is the dash cam scene quiet at the moment?

• Yes - But there are some game changers due this year!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - The dash cams have peaked with the hardware available!

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No - Stop moaning, there's plenty of new stuff available now!

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No - But a bit more innovation wouldn't hurt!

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Quiet as a nun in a church!

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

bronze84

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware F750, K1S, Marcus3, Mobius, Xiaomi Yi, Sony AS100v
Is it me or have the amount of new dash cams coming out at the moment gone a bit stale?

I know there are generic cams coming out all the time, but it seems that nothing at the minute has a wow factor. I dunno, maybe my expectations are too high. I like to change my cams every 6 months or so as I get itchy feet and enjoy trying new products, but i'm struggling to choose my next cams at the moment.

:rolleyes:

you'll see more over the next few months I'm sure, new chipset options take time to release so in between you only see the generic stuff pumped out in a new look every other week, that's their version of innovation though I guess

So you're saying it's best to hold on a couple of months?

(PS: Poll added to thread just for my curiosity)

you'll have more choices later in the year that will be improvements over current tech I'm sure, there's always something new coming, it's evolution rather than revolution though so it's not really game changer type stuff as such but things are always on the improve

What exactly are you looking for or wanting that's not available now?

Dual cam set up with 1080p 60 on both cams - Like I said, maybe my expectations are to high.

I'm tempted to get two separate cams which do 1080p 60 (Joovuu X for example) but the fact I wouldn't be able to emergency record a clip on the rear one (from the drivers seat) puts me off

Got it.
I haven't graduated to dual cams. Mounting that rear one would be troublesome. :)

Better dual channel options are coming, I think we're still some way from dual 1080p60 being an option though

From Street Guardian Rick?

haha i just said yesterday that the dashcam marked seem a bit stagnant to me, and by that i dont meanform factor, there things still go on as we speak.
But on the more innovative front i have noticed little lately, the biggest news proberly beeing the Qvia with a zoom lens.

haha i just said yesterday that the dashcam marked seem a bit stagnant to me, and by that i dont meanform factor, there things still go on as we speak.
But on the more innovative front i have noticed little lately, the biggest news proberly beeing the Qvia with a zoom lens.

keeping an open mind about the zoom lens but gut feeling is it's not something I'd want, regardless it is good to see a bit of thinking outside the box and not just more of the 'same old, same old' in a new housing like some manufacturers keep pumping out

yeah it prompted me to put another lens on one of the X cameras in my windscreen, i now record footage with readable plates as far out as i can read them with my naked eye.
And "out there" the plates are just a blur to the cameras with the wide angle lenses, even if you try a little digital zoom on the footage.

There are quite few interesting dashcams solutions out every month, but after ordering and testing ( or inquiring additional info from manufacturer ) they are not well worth any special attention to call them "wow - factor" and post to public, so for those who want something special "wow-factor" still need to wait a little bit. However need to remember that "wow-factor" dascham will not be cheap and for those who have no dascham yet, it's still better option to buy dascham from what is available now, rather waiting for few month ( half-year ? ), because you never know when "this special moment" happens when you need your valuable recording. In most cases we regret when it's too late. Having "saved" on time waiting "for that special one" is a big risk. It's like driving your car without insurance. In most cases nothing going to happen, but you never know what / who is around the corner.

I now hate driving any vehicle without a dashcam, feels almost vulnerable. Still got my work cutoff for me though with installations.

At the moment I've hardwired the following:

My car: front and rear (SG9665GC's with Vico battery protect)
Brother's car: front (Mini 0806 with MultiSafer)
Parents car: front (ION hardwired)
Boss's car: front (SG9665GC hardwired)
x4 4x2 HGVs: front (SG9665GC hardwired)
x1 4x2 HGV: front, rear and sides (4 Channel SD Quality Mobile DVR HDD setup hardwired)
x1 8x4 HGV: front (SG9665GC hardwired)

Still to do:

Mechanic's car: front (SG9665GC with Multisafer)
Mechanic's van: front (SG9665GC with Multisafer)
Wife's car: front (SG9665GC with MultiSafer)
x1 4x2 HGV: front, rear and sides (4 Channel 1080p Mobile DVR HDD setup hardwired)
x2 4x2 HGV: front (SG9665GC hardwired)
x2 8x4 HGV: front (SG9665GC hardwired)

11 cameras fitted and 8 to go plus any new vehicles we get.

Just thinking, that's 15 SG9665GC's plus several Multisafers and a Vico.....waiting for my Christmas night out invite from Niko! ;)

What exactly are you looking for or wanting that's not available now?
Small discreet form factor. WiFi that works in the normal sense of WiFi.. (i.e.not limited to smart phone only) Motion detection that works.. and of course, video with the ability to see / resolve a license plate with the same clarity as someone with 20/20 vision.

Front, Rear and sides?

Wow.

Aye it was an unknown brand which I took a chance on and it's turned out to be super reliable, although that's probably due to an SSD drive being used rather than a memory card. Resolution isn't great, we are talking about 480TVL and it's ok when in the little quarter screens but go full screen and you are talking about calculator resolution! lol The cameras are little bullet cameras, not the best form factor but I've now sourced wedge cameras which are also 1080p and weatherproof.

The new mobile DVR unit I've sourced is 1080p and although the bitrate is only 2,000 the image quality is miles better than any other 4+ channel Mobile DVR setup I've seen. I'll be taking a punt with it in our other Mercedes truck because we'll be keeping them a while and the fuse box setup is not friendly according to the mechanic so he was relunctant to put an SG9665GC in it.

The cost for the DVR and four HD cameras is going to be around £500 plus £500 for fitting (warranty reasons) which is a few hundred cheaper than the SD unit we put in the other Merc. Taking a chance again and it's being sourced from China directly but they have good comms. In comparison the Brigade multi channel DVRs for vehciles will cost around £2,800 including fitting and it's around 380TVL quality. The commercial multichannel DVR is still quite a niche market in the UK so I guess that's how they get away with those prices.

As for the rest of the fleet, the trucks are going to be replaced over the next few years so I don't want to fit multi channel units only to have to rip them back out so the SG9665GC's are perfect for them as fitting is quick, quality is excellent, they are reliable and the form factor is perfect especially with the cable tidy.

Back