A crazy idea for multiple A119 cameras

Gibson99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Yes
So now that I have two, and will be using them in the same vehicle (non-gps one in the back window), it would be really cool to sync them up... Perhaps using a simple male to male 3.5mm cable connecting the two av ports. Ideally this sync would cause them to start recording at the same instant so that you can easily sync their videos in a video editing program. The other feature this could enable might be to make both cameras save an emergency file at the same time when you press the triangle button on either one of the cameras. being able to do it on either camera might be simpler in software then trying to designate one of them as the "main" and the other as "secondary".

I don't think it would be feasible to do much more than this. Probably can't sync the clock or other settings, though that would be super cool if it were possible...

But now that I think about it, using the av port may not be feasible as it's probably not designed to function as an input; only an output. But then I remembered the camera has a fully functional USB port. What if you connected both of them to a powered USB hub? The hub would obviously provide power to the cameras, but it would also provide a constant data connection between them that would allow you to sync everything you wanted to. It wouldn't work through the GPS mount (unless the cam can provide power to the GPS mount thru the pins), but could work for two non GPS units. If the GPS mount could in fact be powered by the camera, then this USB connection could even provide gps data to both cameras to have in each of their videos, even with only one GPS antenna. This might even work with more than just two cameras depending on how much live data is shared, though it probably would require one camera to be designated as master and the other(s) as slave, so they all know where to get GPS, time, and emergency button press (or g sensor) info from. Shouldn't be much data really... Initial time sync, maybe a settings sync (would probably good to have them all on the same loop time, though we don't want to force resolution or frame rate as users may have different needs in different camera locations) then the initial "start recording" signal, then the slave units just go into listen mode while recording to their own sd card for a broadcast about emergency button or g sensor, and maybe GPS info at regular intervals.

What would be REALLY nuts is if the new firmware for the a118 that viofo is working on could provide the same features and also talk with the a119. And no I'm not asking that just because I plan to use my two a118 cameras as side cameras :D but if someone wanted the excellent a119 in front but then got a cheaper a118c for the back, this would be just as useful.

Yeah I know it's a far fetched idea (especially trying to do it on the a118), and @viofo and @jokiin will probably chime in with technical reasons why it won't work, but then again, sometimes good ideas start out sounding crazy and impossible. Can't hurt to ask, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kip
we are working a dual channel version now which probably negates the reason to even try that, I suspect it wouldn't be easy to achieve, no harm in the abstract thinking though

My original thought with the av jack was just simple tones or dead shorts to tell the other camera what to do and when. But then I was like duh USB could be simpler and would allow more than one secondary unit!

An interesting thought experiment if nothing else. I have no idea what APIs or device addressing abilities are available in the hardware or its SDK, not to mention how much CPU overhead something like this might need. I can't imagine it would be much, but then again these CPUs are probably simple single core RISC to keep power consumption, temperatures and cost low, so there may not be a way anyway.

This has one distinct advantage over a normal dual channel system: If one camera fails, the other can still record independently. I hope this 'syncing' feature could become a common standard one day, as it has all the benefits of a dual cam system without the main drawback (main camera fails and you have nothing).

You should pair the non-GPS one to the GPS one via Bluetooth, then all the controls, the time, and all the GPS data gets transferred from the GPS camera to the non-GPS camera(s) so they are all in sync with each other, all use the same emergency lock and photo buttons on the dash mounted Bluetooth remote control and the main one can report when the others it is paired with are not working. No complicated wiring or shared power supplies necessary.

Not a crazy idea, but a very simple, sensible and useful idea :)

Any more update on the dual cam A119? Also, is the CPL for the A119 available yet? Anyone in the know?

we are working a dual channel version now which probably negates the reason to even try that, I suspect it wouldn't be easy to achieve, no harm in the abstract thinking though
Is your dual channel version using the NT96660 or something similar?

You should pair the non-GPS one to the GPS one via Bluetooth, then all the controls, the time, and all the GPS data gets transferred from the GPS camera to the non-GPS camera(s) so they are all in sync with each other, all use the same emergency lock and photo buttons on the dash mounted Bluetooth remote control and the main one can report when the others it is paired with are not working. No complicated wiring or shared power supplies necessary.

Not a crazy idea, but a very simple, sensible and useful idea :)
i like it. kinda like the wireless remote for the GitUp cameras, except those can only control one camera at a time. Personally though, in a car, i like wired, because it's more reliable, and you don't have to keep track of a hundred different batteries.

Back