A Dash-Cam can not only help you but it can hurt you

Art B

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently joined this Forum, so forgive me if this topic has already been addressed and beat to a pulp. Hopefully my law enforcement perspective will give you all a little bit more to chew on.

At the end of this topic, if you care to read further, I’ve included a “slightly” off-topic story of how I used evidence no bigger than the head of a pin to solve a no-witness traffic accident, but more importantly, how the good guys won.

There are so many different types and qualities of Dash-Cams on the market. Some are very basic and others show your GPS position, speed, temp, time and inside voice recording.

I’ll use this one traffic accident scenario as an example:

You are happily cruising along a city street approaching an intersection. Your green light suddenly turns yellow as you comfortably enter the intersection. Out of nowhere, you suddenly collide with a car who enters the intersection from your right. You feel confident you entered the intersection on a yellow light but he and his car load of passengers say he had the green which would imply you had the red. As is often the case, no other drivers had the decency to stop to give their eye witness account of the accident.

Now depending on your speed thru the intersection, you could have and likely did enter the intersection on a yellow and his light could have turned green before you cleared the intersection however, he is required to ensure the intersection is clear before he starts out. You feel very confident you are not at fault and it’s likely you’re right especially since you know you have a smoking gun.

5-8 minutes later, here comes the law. You surprise everyone at the scene as you put the final nail in the other driver’s coffin when you announce you have a Dash-Cam. At this point, I assure you, if the officer could kiss you he/she would...you’ve just trimmed hours off his written investigation.

In the middle of this big love fest, the officer asks if he could see the video. You whip out your cell phone or your ipad and since you have a Black-Vue DR500GW-HD, you log into the app and pull up a beautiful video of the time frame in question. So, contrary to what some of you were saying in the last thread about the importance of having a Dash-Cam, the officer will have absolutely no qualms about sitting in your car, sticking his head in your car or sitting on top of your car as he views the evidence.

There it is...clear as day. You entered the intersection with the yellow and here comes this Bozo from the right. It’s pretty clear...you give a sigh of relief, he gives a sigh of defeat and the officer...well, he’s excited at the thought he’ll now have enough time at the end of his shift to enjoy a 2nd donut...life’s good!!! But wait...what’s this little number in the GPS info? It says 33...oh my...that’s your speed. The officer looks at the speed limit sign across the street...it says 30 MPH.

OK, so here’s where you stand. The officer will complete his investigation. He will suggest you retain your SD card for your insurance company...he has enough info from the video. He will write in his narrative that you presented to him and he personally viewed your Dash-Cam info showing you entered the intersection on a legal yellow...at 33 mph in a 30 MPH zone. He will still show Mr. Bozo was at fault, BUT...by your own evidence, he will state your GPS/DASH-CAM indicates you were exceeding the posted speed limit. On the surface, that makes you partially culpable since Mr. Bozo would argue if you were traveling 3 mph slower, you would not have reached him thus there would not have been a collision.

Since technically, the officer doesn’t know the difference between a Dash-Cam and a jelly donut, he has no way of knowing the accuracy, calibrated date or authenticity of your video. Mr. Bozo’s insurance company will now have a little more teeth, albeit baby teeth, but bite back ability none-the-less. I would suspect they will likely come to an agreement where each insurance company will settle on fixing their own driver’s cars and move on from there...all because your Dash-Cam inadvertently presented the other side with ammo.

Now I would never ever suggest you lie at a traffic accident though many do. What I would suggest is, if you believe you were in the right, say so. If the officer is on the fence or leans in favor of the other driver and he lists you as the primary cause of the accident, don’t sweat it. Remember, officers written traffic investigations is merely a guideline for insurance companies based solely on all the facts he/she had at the time.

What you should do is go home, quickly view your SD Card video. If it clearly shows you in the right, download the video ONLY on your computer. Use your computer’s video viewer program to separate the GPS data from the actual video, copy the video to disc and present the disc to your insurance company. You also have the right to go down to the police station to add an addendum to the original report in the form of a statement. Your statement could simply be you have additional evidence in the form of a video of the accident that you are submitting to the insurance company. Your video will not change the officer’s assessment of who was at fault, however, it is now part of the official written investigation.

Is this an ethical thing to do? You bet it is. Opposing attorneys will always look for any smidgen of evidence to poke holes in your story. A non-highway posted speed limit in California indicates “safe speed for conditions” Driving 33 MPH in a 30 MPH zone is arguably NOT unsafe and you should not have to risk the chance of your insurance premiums going up for driving 3 MPH over the speed limit. Even though technically, you are exceeding the speed limit.

Hopefully this offered a little more insight on the pros and cons of having a Dash-Cam.

A short slightly off-topic story about evidence at an accident scene:

One day I received a radio call to investigate a non injury accident that was holding up rush hour traffic in our very busy downtown area. When I arrived, it was chaotic. A car with 5 overly excited women claimed the 18 wheeler a block further up the hill rear ended their convertible rental car. They ordered the trucker to pull over to await police but the trucker flipped them off and drove around them. He obviously gave it a 2nd thought as he noticed they were writing down his plate, so he stopped a block up the hill.

On occasion, my agency suspends investigating non-injury accidents due to personnel shortages. Instead, we facilitate the exchange of info and suggest drivers contact their respective insurance companies which is what I had planned to do that day.

Curiously, I asked the truck driver if he hit their car, his response was, “These F---ing B-tches were sight seeing and holding up traffic so I hit the air horn and they got pissed. They got out and cursed me out so I drove around them. I stopped up the block when they yelled they are calling the police to say I hit them.

His condescending attitude left me with little choice but to conduct a written investigation with deep down hopes of finding him at fault. With his 2 witnesses inside his truck swearing on everything holy they never even came close to the car and the 5 women swearing he did, I had nothing to go by. The rear bumper was pushed in enough to cause these ladies grief with Budget Rent A Car because they opted out of collision coverage.

After 15 minutes of listening to both sides, I told the ladies not to worry...the trucker was at fault and I would write it up that way. The trucker blew a gasket saying I had no evidence and he would have my job.

I walked the trucker up the block, took out a small white piece of paper and a knife. I scraped a pin-head size bug from his undamaged monster size bumper. We then walked back to the rear of the ladies mustang, bent down and again, with my knife, I scraped an identical dead bug off the back of their bumper-mounted license plate. I told the trucker the only way this dead bug could find his way to the rear bumper of their car is if the ladies drove their car at 60 mph...backwards or...his front bug infested bumper came in contact with their rear license plate. His response was, ”well, maybe I just lightly tapped their bumper, but that was it.” The ladies rejoiced and the truck driver just stood there like the idiot he was. I gave the ladies my business card and told them to have Budget give me a call if there’s a problem.

Two months later, I received a monster sized thank you card from all 5 ladies signed by over 100 kids thanking me for being a police officer...the ladies were grade school teachers.

The reason for this story, other than it was hopefully somewhat entertaining, is evidence at the scene of a traffic accident, no matter what kind, will almost always work.

So, at the scene of a traffic accident, showing an officer a video account of what happened can, without question, help you.

Last edited:
Well I guess it's a good thing my Vicovation Vico-WF1 doesn't log GPS data. I can still show video immediately via the iPhone WiFi Vicoviewer app worry free. :)
My Mini 0801 in the rear logs GPS data, but I don't need to use it if it's not helpful or is hurtful like you said. (or can easily ignore the GPS folder all together)

I can only imagine how it is to enforce the law, while some SOB is lying you to you.

Thumbs up Art :)

I guess you can not partially plead the 5 amendment regaring the speed logged by the camera ;)

Last edited:
I can only imagine how it is to enforce the law, while some SOB is lying you to you.

Thumbs up Art :)

I guess you can not partially plead the 5 amendment regaring the speed logged by the camera ;)

Actually...there's some truth to your statement...Nobody knows exactly what their speed was prior to impact at an accident. (unless of course you happened to be staring at your speedo at the very moment you blindly crashed into someone) We all think (or certainly all say) we were going the speed limit. You see, absent of any evidence that you were driving like a formula-1 lunatic, officers at the scene of an accident only ask you your speed because there's a check box on the report where he's required to put it in. Witnesses never ever say things like, "The speed limit is 45...he was doing like...48" Witnesses have no way of determining that speed and an officer will never ever write in that box that he believes you were doing 3-5 miles above the posted speed limit. So the officer always asks the drivers what their speed was and we put it in the report as stated...never to be talked about again unless, of course, like I said if it was an obvious issue up front. So that is why I say it is so unfair for any driver to be hung out to dry over an irrefutable 3 MPH "technicality" You wouldn't and you shouldn't throw yourself under the bus over something so seemingly insignificant because, the opposing attorney will hang his hat on it and in spite his client was way wrong...you will share in the culpability. I'm rambling but I'm hoping it makes some kind of sense.

thats exactly the reason why im only choosing dash cams without gps
the used gps is mostly too unreliable, but the information is presented in the video as a fact
and honestly...most people drive a liitle bit faster that the speed limit :D ....this can lead to that they can be partly blamed for any kind of accident, since they were not following the limit

thats exactly the reason why im only choosing dash cams without gps
the used gps is mostly too unreliable, but the information is presented in the video as a fact
and honestly...most people drive a liitle bit faster that the speed limit :D ....this can lead to that they can be partly blamed for any kind of accident, since they were not following the limit

just because GPS is available doesn't mean you need to embed the information in the video, some cameras don't give you a choice in this, good ones do though, important to know the features of a camera before purchase

still...you dont have always the freedom of choosing waht information gets to whose hands
if for example the traffic accident will lead to your injuries... youll get rescued and the information will be exorted by the police...and then bam! although maybe you are not the one that caused the accident you will receive partly fault for being over speed limit... a double face slap, not only someone caused you to have an accident an injuries, your insurence will have to pay part of the costs
in germany insurance the cause for accidents can be shared between the involved people...like you are 30% responsible and the other guy 70% and so on

and being over speed limit, you alwaysget part of blame....doesnt matter whether it really is the cause or a partial cause or no cause

The most dangerous situation with a dashcam is when you have recorded some very bad accident and not keep your mouth shut.
If the guilty (and smart!) driver knows you have a dashcam he can think the days of prison are much less for stealing and destroying a dashcam instead of the scary consequences from the accident he produced.

Regarding GPS: most people, after watching few times a line and a pointer on some google map he will become bored and never watch again. Why paid for the GPS? Because most of them understand the speed on the video is not for their advantage.

enjoy,
Mtz

A great example of a "dash"-cam hurting the owner http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ottawa motorcyclists with demerits fined Outaouais stunt riding/9042115/story.html this time from Canada. It was the nail in the coffin. If you're going to use a dashcam, try not to break every law you can. ;)
Regarding your news article, it wasn't necessarily the Helmet-cam that hurt this guy...it was the fact he only had half a brain! Motor Cyclists who mount cameras on their heads get a thrill out of video taping themselves doing wreckless stuff. Not always, but more often than not...especially if they're riding knee scraping crotch rockets. Motor vehicle operators with Dash-Cams usually have them for responsible documentation of those half brain crotch rocket riding bone heads. On a side note, I've never in all my years in law enforcement, ever seen or heard of an officer citing a motor cyclist after discovering the countless laws he "appeared" to have broken based on his helmet cam. Reason being, here in the US, an officer has to be able to testify in court that he witnessed not only the violation that got him stopped in the first place, but the numerous other violations he discovered on the helmet cam. The defendant simply has to do two things...one...denies it was him and two, ask the officer one question, "Officer, is it possible, someone else could have been wearing the helmet and committed those moving violations?" The answer will have to be, "yes it's possible" That's it...case dismissed. Canada obviously does things much differently.

Technology is a double edged sword, your dashcam video should remain your property. In the case of the Range Rover incident in New York it was reported that the police were seizing the evidence (memory cards) My personal preference is to have a 100% covert system with one touch (or automatic event) cellular video upload to server feature. Then my attorney can review the evidence and advise.

great writeup.

This is exactly why I dont have GPS on my cameras. I cant think of a situation where it would do anything but harm me.
I also keep a small memory card in my unit. I want as little extra information that is not pertinent to the incident. What if my memory card is seized, and 2 days previously I rolled a stop sign, or something similar and LE used this to brand me an aggressive driver?

I am used to speeding, most of us Danes drive a Little faster, like 60 in a 50 zone ( town ) and 90 in a 80 zone ( highway ) and 130 on freeways where 110 is max, and 150 on the parts of freeways where 130 km/h is max.

If you stick to the speed limit here, 95% of all cars going in the same direction will overtake you, if you do the "extra" speed you will allso be overtaken often as many ppl cant stand to drive behind another car even tho it is going as fast as is allowed and then some.

We simply dont have enuff cops on the streets, and the lawmakers dont make Laws strict enuff to scare ppl off breaking the law.
So to a large extend it is mob rule here im sorry to say :oops:

I can take some "rambling"
1958_Rambler_sedan_pink_and_white_NJ.jpg

Regarding your news article, it wasn't necessarily the Helmet-cam that hurt this guy...it was the fact he only had half a brain! Motor Cyclists who mount cameras on their heads get a thrill out of video taping themselves doing wreckless stuff. Not always, but more often than not...especially if they're riding knee scraping crotch rockets. Motor vehicle operators with Dash-Cams usually have them for responsible documentation of those half brain crotch rocket riding bone heads. On a side note, I've never in all my years in law enforcement, ever seen or heard of an officer citing a motor cyclist after discovering the countless laws he "appeared" to have broken based on his helmet cam. Reason being, here in the US, an officer has to be able to testify in court that he witnessed not only the violation that got him stopped in the first place, but the numerous other violations he discovered on the helmet cam. The defendant simply has to do two things...one...denies it was him and two, ask the officer one question, "Officer, is it possible, someone else could have been wearing the helmet and committed those moving violations?" The answer will have to be, "yes it's possible" That's it...case dismissed. Canada obviously does things much differently.

Well true, he did have half a brain, no doubt. But in this specific case I believe he was caught passing the police station with the camera still rolling when he got pulled over. So there was no way he could say he wasn't recording this himself etc. And people called the madness in to police as well. So basically, they were able to charge him with everything on the tape. Court case is pending of course, so it is likely a few of the charges won't stick, but heck, most probably will :D

Today, I was driving a coach up from Cornwall. On the motorway I was maxed out at 100kph (set by the limiter). My tacho displayed "100kph" and my speedo read 62mph.
Interestingly, my satnav was showing me doing 79mph and the 'waze' app on my mobile was showing 70mph.
I am so glad my dashcam doesn't have GPS speed on it.

GPS are good for dashcam sellers. Just few buyers really need the GPS so their money were spent on a desired feature.

Back ontopic: big cameras can hurt you. Not because can hit your head but because can attract some persons with not good intentions for you.

enjoy,
Mtz

I thought the GPS function is merely for logs saving( for fun or for travelling memorize ) but not for real legal investigation??
the terrible accuracy would make it unfair to you or to others.
Or anyone knows there is really an actual case the dashcam GPS data works for protecting the owners' right?

Although GPS accuracy is actually getting much better in most consumer products, I was think much the same thing about the legal use aspect. If the GPS cannot be used to prove innocence, surely it also cannot be used to prove or even imply guilt. If the courts won't accept your video evidence as proof that you were travelling slower than the speed limit because it was not calibrated, then it cannot use that same video as proof that you were travelling faster for the same reason.

KuoH

I thought the GPS function is merely for logs saving( for fun or for travelling memorize ) but not for real legal investigation??
the terrible accuracy would make it unfair to you or to others.

then it cannot use that same video as proof that you were travelling faster for the same reason.
Also the judges are humans. If you will do something bad, even the GPS speed from your dashcam is not officially accepted, will be more easy for him to give a bad verdict against you. He can even say: the high speed from your video is not accepted as an evidence, but you are guilty because of doing ths... bla-bla.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back