A few A129 usage questions

Stingray

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A129 & G1WH
Hi all. I recently got an A129 and a have a few questions. FYI, I have not installed the rear camera yet, still trying to figure out where I want to mount it.

As you can see from my first pic below I definitely will need a CPL. And looking at the night time pic I have real bad lens flares with the lights (not sure how else to describe it). I discovered that was because my car is high mileage and over the years my wipers have caused light scratching across the windshield. I verified this by holding the camera over where the wipers don't travel and the flaring was gone.

1 - So my question is will the CPL have any affect, good or bad, with the light flare?

2 - My old dash cam is the cheap G1WH. That one did not have the bad dash reflections and light flare. Is that because of the different quality/type image sensors?

3 - Last, I'm just curious what other users think of WDR, do you prefer it on or off?

Thanks for any replies!

Those streaks of light will almost certainly disappear if you clean your windscreen inside and out (properly).

WDR Off.

Reactions: Mtz
1 - So my question is will the CPL have any affect, good or bad, with the light flare?
2 - My old dash cam is the cheap G1WH. That one did not have the bad dash reflections and light flare. Is that because of the different quality/type image sensors?
3 - Last, I'm just curious what other users think of WDR, do you prefer it on or off?
1 - CPL will probably reduce the flare (starburst) a little, but only a little.
2 - Maybe because it was in a different location? Moving a camera up/down will alter the reflections it sees. I doubt you had no starburst before though, maybe it is just more obvious because of the better image quality...
3 - WDR definitely off with the current firmware.

Best way to deal with the starburst is to polish the glass to remove the scratches, you wont get rid of it all but with a bit of effort could remove a lot of it. Since the scratches are actually in the glass you need something hard enough to actually polish them out, proper glass polish, not just cleaner, the smaller scratches will disappear fairly easily, deep scratches, eg from sand under the wipers will never disappear.

Thanks for that thread

Best way to deal with the starburst is to polish the glass to remove the scratches, you wont get rid of it all but with a bit of effort could remove a lot of it. Since the scratches are actually in the glass you need something hard enough to actually polish them out, proper glass polish, not just cleaner, the smaller scratches will disappear fairly easily, deep scratches, eg from sand under the wipers will never disappear.
I was wondering if that was a possible DIY, it doesn't bother me too much but I may look into polishing the glass.

Back