A few Questions - GPS, etc.

BrettLF

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

Starting to install my SG9663DC today and had a few questions.

GPS Antenna - Can i mount the GPS antenna on the Frits of the windshield? Will mounting it there affect performance or so i pick a spot that is clear?

Thicker Camera Mount - Is the thicker camera mount used for more vertical windshields? I have a Ford F150 Raptor and i am assuming the thinner mount is what i should be using.

By Frits, do you mean the black dots in the center? The dots aren't a problem but that's probably too close to the CMOS sensor. It's best to install the GPS in the corner like the photo below.
The thicker mount gives more clearance if you use the CPL on certain angled windows. The thin mount is technically the better mount if it fits for you. (test with CPL clipped on the camera)
1518990567948.png

Yes the black dots in the center. The manual says GPS antenna should not be mounted within 15cm of the camera for best performance.

If i were to mount it on the right side it would be roughly 10 inches away from the camera. Would it be safer for better performance to still mount it over in the corner on the right side?

The corner is where most people mount it. (photo above)

You are welcome to try installing it the minimum distance and see how it goes.

You can always move it later if you're not happy with GPS signal lock performance. Just pry it off with the included trim tool (plastic crowbar) and extra GPS adhesive pads are in the box.

I think i will give it a shot. Your correct, at worst just remove and install over in the corner. I appreciate the lightning speed replies :)

thanks again

Back