A frustrating experience

wuddup

Reaction score
Country
United States
I currently have three cameras in my possession:
  • two of the SG9663DC (pro)
  • one of the SG9663DC (non-pro)
Doing the cables was a pretty straight-forward task. I read the entire quick-start manual twice, but here are my issues:

The pros are running firmware version 1.05 (I know 1.08 is available). Both of the pros start up when I turn my car's accessory mode. Only one of the two pros begins to record. When I push the record button while it is recording, it does not pause. This leaves me unable to go to the menu. I've tried starting it up a handful of times by turning off my car's accessory (cutting power to the cam), but it doesn't work. It also fails to turn off while holding down the power button. The other pro, while it turns on, does not begin recording, and furthermore, the camera seems to be unresponsive to any button presses. I also tried restarting this camera multiple times. Neither of these pros display a picture-in-picture of the rear camera. Both of the cameras seem to have issues rendering in real-time (on the front camera's display) when the rear camera is plugged into it (it lags like crazy).

Now, the non-pro version works as expected. The first time I insert the SD card, it prompts me to format (neither of the pros asked this even after I wiped the card clean). This camera renders in real-time BOTH the front and rear (with picture-in-picture) and is very responsive to button presses. When I push record, then the power button, it immediately switches to WiFi and allows me to download via Novacam.

I'm really considering just returning all of them. The reason I have so many on hand is because the seller sent the wrong one and one was a replacement for the pro that didn't manage to turn on, because of what seems to be a faulty cable...

I really really want to like this camera and discovered it through this exact forum... maybe someone can help sort out my issues so that I don't need to return them all

Hello, don't worry we'll help you figure this out. Let me read over everything and consult with Rick. Stand by for answers. We won't let you down.

I purchased all bundled with the SanDisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-1 Card with Adapter (256GB). I used the same card in all three cameras (works as expected on the non-pro).

I would for sure start with updating the firmware of both Pro's to 1.08. It fixed a file handling bug. You might need to long press the REC button a bit longer for it to stop recording and allow Menu access. How does it behave with no card inserted? Also are you using the supplied card or a new 3rd party card? Can you swap cards around?

Make sure you didn't swap any of the rear cameras around. SG9663DCPRO uses an IMX291 sensor for rear, SG9663DC uses an IMX323 sensor. If you swapped rear cameras by mistake it would cause lockups etc. Can you also test normal single channel operation by unplugging the rear camera cable first? You can also rule out cable issues by using the spare shorter/longer one.

Give me a call if needed, we'll go over everything step by step. (business card in the box)
Jon

Let me give the suggestions a try and I'll report back. Thanks for the prompt response -- I really appreciate it!

"seller sent the wrong one" I'm not sure what you meant there, can you send us a message with the details?

We did have a few orders where people ordered the SG9663DC but we shipped them a free upgraded SG9663DC PRO

Again feel free to call instead of going back and forth on here if it's easier for you

By the way if you think you might have swapped DC/DCPRO rear cameras by mistake, you can tell which rear camera is from the SG9663DCPRO since it has a white sticker that says 291. The SG9663DC rear camera will have no sticker on it.

By the way if you think you might have swapped DC/DCPRO rear cameras by mistake, you can tell which rear camera is from the SG9663DCPRO since it has a white sticker that says 291. The SG9663DC rear camera will have no sticker on it.

DCPRO rear camera has no sticker, that's only on the 291 camera sold as an accessory

The DC rear camera has a 14mm diameter lens, the DCPRO rear camera has a 17mm diameter lens, DC and DCPRO both have 17mm diameter lenses in front, the rear cameras are not interchangeable

DCPRO rear camera has no sticker, that's only on the 291 camera sold as an accessory

The DC rear camera has a 14mm diameter lens, the DCPRO rear camera has a 17mm diameter lens, DC and DCPRO both have 17mm diameter lenses in front, the rear cameras are not interchangeable

Ah thanks for clarifying I'll post some photos then.

he say the non pro works just fine, so i don't think the rear cameras have been mixed up, i assume the non pro don't work with the pro rear camera and vise versa.

DC is on the left DC PRO is on the right

b8cd72949ae064f576a4c7c0e4797597.jpg

he say the non pro works just fine, so i don't think the rear cameras have been mixed up, i assume the non pro don't work with the pro rear camera and vise versa.

if you put the wrong rear camera it will just stutter and be difficult to get any response when you power on

Could a non pro rear camera have been paired with a pro camera by accident ?
Anyways with the pics of lens and also different ventilation holes they are easy to identify.

Okay -- this was a total fumble on my end. Major facepalm here! Sorry, for tossing you all in a bit of a loop.

I forgot to swap the rear camera, so @Street Guardian USA and @kamkar1 are both right. All the cameras work now, but one has a faulty cable.

The seller that sent the wrong one was Amazon (they were supposed to send another pro as a replacement, but instead, sent a non-pro version).

Thank you all for the swift help and support. I'm just going to ship the one back with the faulty cable and the non-pro version back to Amazon tomorrow.

I think i would try:
1: run one of the pro cameras with just the front unit to see if that work alone.
2: assuming that work and it is behaving strange with rear camera attached, i would move that front unit over and try that with the other rear camera ( getting 2 bad rear cameras should be near to impossible )
3: try the same with the other pro front camera.
If front cameras alone work fine on their own, the issue must be with the rear cameras or the cables to them.

Virtual kick my ass if i am wrong.

Okay -- this was a total fumble on my end. Major facepalm here! Sorry, for tossing you all in a bit of a loop.

I forgot to swap the rear camera, so @Street Guardian USA and @kamkar1 are both right. All the cameras work now, but one has a faulty cable.

The seller that sent the wrong one was Amazon (they were supposed to send another pro as a replacement, but instead, sent a non-pro version).

Thank you all for the swift help and support. I'm just going to ship the one back with the faulty cable and the non-pro version back to Amazon tomorrow.

Ok glad you're all sorted, we'll be here if you have any more questions.

NICE (y)
If you run into other issues just reach out to Jon in Nevada, his card should be in the box with the cameras.
Or just give a holler in here, SG almost have 24/7 coverage on this forum.

Back