A question about G-Sensor which was not triggered

ciclista71

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Dash Cam
ToGuard CE20 (broken), Viofo A119v3
Hi,
I have my camera set to Parking Mode OFF and G-sensor as ON/LOW, and I have no wirekit. I have also set a boot-up delay of some seconds.
A couple of days ago I got scratched near my wheel, so I took out the SD Card from my camera and checked the videos, but I couldn't see any RO fodlers, nor recording of someone crashing into me.
So, my questions:
- Is G-Sensor activating my camera to record a short video or should the camera be anyway always powered up, to have this to work?
- Can it be the scratch was not "hard enough" and therefore nothing was recorded?

G-Sensor is not inside the Parking Mode menu but I have this doubt.
Thanks!
Luca

IMG_1736.jpg

If parking guard are off, then the camera will of course not record anything while parked, even if G - sensor are on ( for when driving or when parked )
you of course also need the hard wire kit to make use of parking guard.

I have argued that G - sensor when parked should be super sensitive, maybe so much so a sudden strong gust of wind would set it off, or a bus or truck passing by at speed.
For sure i would use parking guard G - sensor on the high setting.
What your car experienced i would expect the G - sensor to have picked up, it is after all not just a little parking lot door ding.

I see. So right now the G-Sensor will only be triggered if I hit something or am I hit by something while driving. If I want it also when parked, I need the hard wire kit.
It's clear now, thanks.

I am not familiar with this particular model, but the best way is to have a G - sensor value for when driving, and another value for when parked, there are actually just the one G - sensor in the camera, but in use it is like there is two of them.
Personally i do not like having G - sensor on when i drive, the camera record all the time anyway, so it would have to be a very violent crash and me getting knocked out or dying, and the car keep running / being powered for many hours, before the accident will be overwritten, and i dont think that will happen.
So in my daily driving i just use the manual event button to lock and save events i want to share.

When i use parking guard i do have the G - sensor on and on high sensitivity, but i prefer to use low bitrate which film all the time at a low bitrate that generate smaller files and so have room for more.
The low bitrate parking guard footage are also just treated as regular footage, so it will get deleted when it is the oldest footage on a full memory card.
The G - sensor on should detect and lock serious events while parked, but i can not tell for sure cuz my car have never been hit while parked, but testing dashcams i have managed to trigger the G - sensor by kicking a wheel with the sole of my foot, or slap the windscreen where the camera is mounted, you can also just flick a finger at the camera housing if you are sitting in the car and parking guard are on.

I also just use parking guard for 1 hour on the timer in my dahscam as i have a little car with a small battery, and at home ( live in 2 floor apartment ) i have CCTV camera on my balcony door aimed at the car parked in the back yard 20 - 25 M from the camera ( i am zoomed in on the car so i have a chance to identify a person )

CCTV camera normal view, this way other people driving / parking / walking in the back yard do not trigger event, only once every day do a person walk close by my car and trigger a alarm ( zoomed in )
park car 1.jpg

CCTV camera zoomed all the way out ( camera can also turn up / down / left and right if i need that )
park car 2.jpg

The CCTV are also better, it have AI motion detect so only send notification to my phone if a human or vehicle get within 1 M distance of my parked car, i also have a tablet which also get notification when i sleep.

It is rare i park out on the town for longer than the 1 hour ( shopping ) but if i need i can up the timer to 24 hours or more of course.

This work fine for me parking in the back yard, on the street in front of the house there is much more traffic and people walking so there i would get a lot of false events on my CCTV camera,,,,, so it is not the ideal home solution in any case.
You also do not need AI motion detect the CCTV camera record all the time anyway and save on a 2TB large harddrive so room for many many days / weeks with just the 1 camera i have on at the moment, i just have AI motion detect on so i can capture and punish people that do not respect my property.

Last edited:
I see. I do not have a garage and always park the car outside, where my CCTV cannot look at it. But I understand the dual meaning of the G-Sensor, I was not aware of that.

Some cameras also only have 1 shared G - sensor value that is the same for both driving and when parked, it can work too but i prefer the "dual" setup as it allow me to disable the one or the other or both.
Also not all systems support the low bitrate mode, my current system i can choose 1-3-5-10-15 and then 30, but the 1-3-5-10-15 are time lapse recording shich i dont like as it do not have sound, but selecting the 30 FPS mode it is low bitrate, so regular video on my camera in best image quality and 3 minute segments are around 350 MB in size, but a 3 minute low bitrate parking guard segment are just 128 MB in size.

And it work fine,,,,, i was worried that the low bitrate would be very bad for motion / cars passing by at speed, but it work fine.

we have three levels to choose from for both G-sensor and Parking G-sensor
you can reach here for more,

Pretty clear, thanks everyone for helping!

Now I have a question about the right balance: imagine I want to use a hardwire kit with the auto cut-off, I wonder:
- For how many hours can the camera stay in parking mode before the cut-off is triggered? I see it consumes 0.31A when recording, would it be the same also in parking mode?
- How much time does the battery take to recharge itself while driving? Considering my Skoda Octavia Wagon III with a 60AH battery, for instance

I lately don't use the car so much, since I am still working from home, so I just bring my kid to school and come back: this means about 15 minutes + 15 minutes to come back, in the traffic, so at a low speed (<50kmh). Then, the car is parked for the rest of the time. Occasionally, we do long trips (>300km) but this doesn't happen so often (once every two months, maybe?)

I wonder whether the hardwire kit would generate more benefits or problems to my car.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S A119 9
M A119 1
D A119 5
randy A119 5
B A119 14
Back