A ride in the rain.. Problem, and possible solution.

K1600C3

Reaction score
Country
United States
My C3, with 90 degree lens, on a motorcycle has a problem in the rain. The wind keeps droplets of water stuck to the face of the recessed lens:

I figured a convex lens cover might help the wind blow water off to the sides, instead of keeping it in place.
So, I purchased a 21mm watch crystal and stuck it to the face of the camera with some 2-part urethane adhesive, applied with a small syringe.
WatchCrystal_zps2enpyl47.jpg

C3Cover_zpsptc9bgxl.jpg

I'll have to wait for some light rain to test it..
Note: Check for internal reflections under various lighting conditions..

Try a slight amount of Rain-X, that should keep the droplets moving.

I just applied some Rain-X to the dome lens cover, to help it clear. I don't think it would have helped with the stock config, since the lens is at the center of a stepped funnel.. There's no place for it to blow away to..
One item: When I got home, and hit a small bump entering my driveway (low speed, no wind), the water drip fell off, You can also see the effect in the video near the end where I stopped for a light. There, the water slumped to the bottom, clearing the view a bit.

Last edited:
I am really impressed people how smart and skilled in DIY.
Let's see the test in the raining.:):):)

Last edited:
Not wanting to wait for (or ride in) rain, I rigged a remote nozzle on a spray bottle and positioned it to spray a mist on the lens, then went out for a ride.
Unfortunately, even at 60 MPH, there's not enough air velocity to clear the water away.
Still, I think it's a bit better with the lens cover, in that the droplets are spread out, and less likely to be funneled into the very small uncovered lens.
They remain, but don't block the entire view. Note that I re-sprayed it several times during this video segment.

If this a big problem, why not rig a wind deflector at angle to the lens that would channel air along the face of the lens?

Reactions: cf7
Do a search for hydrophobic coatings, there are several sprays available (NeverWet, WaterBeader, UltraEverDry) that you could spray on the cover you have made for the lens and the water will fall off the cover just from its own weight, no need to have air flow.

I rember when i was a teen a friend of mine had a estate ford excort, the near vertical back of it got really dirty quick, but after he installed 2 deflectors on the rear hatch it was much better.
For a more memorable test recording you should have lined all the kids from the block up along the street with ther waterpistols, and then tell them to hose you as you came by :)
Allso remind me i need a new rear wiper, mine is falling apart and dont wipe up high where my mobius sit.

Do a search for hydrophobic coatings, there are several sprays available (NeverWet, WaterBeader, UltraEverDry) that you could spray on the cover you have made for the lens and the water will fall off the cover just from its own weight, no need to have air flow.

I've used NeverWet, but it creates a frosted effect, not good for a lens. The air deflector might work, Start with a curved blade just below, or a wider duct that \narrows down (an excuse to buy a 3D printer :)

Not a huge issue though, since I usually avoid riding in the rain.

Back