A tale of "bad luck" - really bad luck - good luck - really bad luck - and some good luck again

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
So today i went for a drive to visit my sister, so my plan was to hit 3 birds with one stone.

First bird was to pick up a small 8 ohm speaker for my model train ( check )
Then next item was to get my old 200 bar dive bottle filled, but as no luck would have it one of the kids was working the dive shop, and he sure as hell would not fill my 200 bar bottle as it should have been inspected 5 years ago,,,,, and i can not blame the kid he have his order.
And that was then the "bad luck" and #2 bird.

#3 bird was a meal at my sisters place, to make arrangements for help she need from me come Monday.
So i drove from the dive shop to my sisters place and parked, was there for a couple of hours, and then doing the dishes i looked down at my car parked 1 floor below, and now my car have a big ass dent in the rear ( thats the really bad luck )
That was really annoying and i of course had to run down to check my car, and found this.

skade 04-8-2022.jpg

So now we come to the good luck as of course my A229 have been running parking guard, but just for the usual 1 hour on the timer,,,,, so i was a bit apprehensive, but hey who can be that unlucky. :sneaky:
And then good luck was underlined as a little old lady next door opened her window and said she saw it all, and had taken down the plate on the car. :cool:
She also told the woman driving the black / dark car had been going against traffic on the 1 way street, and then as this is right at the entrance to the road, she encountered a car wanting to go the right way down the street, so the woman reversed right into my car.
BUT ! the old lady also said the woman hitting my car wrote a note and put it in my windscreen,,,,,,,, but she returned 5 minutes later and removed it. :rolleyes::mad:

Anyway i was sort of relaxed as the little 100 YO lady had taken the plate, but i was of course still anxious to get home to see my parking guard recordings.
So as a gentleman i thanked the little old lady, and arranged with my little sister to look for dark / black cars with a dent, so i took the street we was on and so did sister, she then went downhill to check the next parallel street, while i went up hill and checked another parallel street.
But none of us found any dented dark / black car.
So now there was nothing for me to do but drive home to inspect my memory card.
And that trip was also uneventful, bus as you can see from the thread name i am still down 1 really bad luck and some good luck.

So ! i got home and took the 256 GB Kingston card in the A229 camera, and for good measure to document i was parked legally also the 128 GB memory card in my K2S side system, so i put both cards in my shorts pocket and exited my car in a almighty downpour and ran for cover.
And this is where the bad luck check in, cuz walking up the stairs to my 2 floor apartment i found out my pocket had a hole in it, and my 2 memory cards was gone. :eek:

This is where it is fortunate i got my buzz cut on Tuesday, so no hairs to pull out of my scalp as you can not get a grip on 4 mm.
So a short sigh session while it stopped raining and i was down by my car to look in the gravel / small stone in the back yard to look for my memory cards, full knowing the chance of just finding one card was slime to none, still i spent a good hour walking back and forth hunched over,,,,, which my poor old back did not like, and then it started to rain again so i gave up.

I still had the little old lady plate capture, so i looked up the number and it was a unlisted color VW touran from 2007, with a 1.9 diesel motor in it, and on its 10 owner, also found out who insured it.
Still i called the cops as it was after all a case of wrong way driving, and also hit and run, and with a plate and a witness it should be a hit out of the park for them, but the police couldn't really be bothered but did take down all i said in case insurance come calling.
So i went online with my insurance company and filled in all the stuff for them, but then after that as it still rained i figured why not play a little kamkar PI.

So i hit up google street view at my sisters address, and found hot she is right there in the door with her cat she walk on a leash :)
I was parked just about where the grey car are in googles picture.

Thats #43 my sister live in, so i scrolled down the street to #17, and wouldn't you know a black VW touran is parked right there in googles street view from January.
So i think we have a address for the winner in " who have been a naughty girl" even if Google have blurred out the plate on the car.

Anyway back the the good luck i still owe.

So it stopped raining again and even if it was just afternoon i brought my BLF Q8 flashlight to most of all help my eyesight focus on a smaller area and not drift off in the mess that is the stone / gravel surface in the back yard where i park.
So i spent a good hour walking back and forth, this time a little more upright as my back had enough after the first search session, but still to no avail, so i gave up on the back yard and focused on the 12 - 15 feet of gravel / stones on the front of the building i walked thru in the rain running close to the building to get to the front door.
And even if i had looked over that particular ground several times before,,,,,, well i found the 256GB card from the A229 camera,,,,,, so i put on a spectacular on the street running around cheering with my arms in the air.

Still. The parking guard recording stopped before the event so i have no cool footage to share with you guys.
But just go to prove, done trust 100 % in your dashcam and its capabilities, if you can always get witnesses involved to be damn sure, i was lucky a little old lady fell from the sky, otherwise as i no longer have full coverage on my car, i would have been so out on my ass.:mad:

Last edited:
So:
  • 1hr parking guard is not enough, upgrade to 3hr.
  • Always use the mobile app and download the important files to your phone before touching the SD card!
  • Always have a spare SD card in a secure case in the car, and swap cards after you capture something important.
  • Don't take the SD card out of the secure case until you are at your computer and ready to insert the SD card into your card reader.
  • Fix holes in your pockets sooner rather than later.
  • Get yourself a hairdryer and a big rubber mallet, and knock that dent out of you plastic bumper before your insurance charges you an excess for fixing it at a garage?
  • Might need a little plastic welding on that clip, but that is easy enough and quite enjoyable to do.
  • Get the culprit to cover the cost of your dent removal, charging x10 the standard hourly rate.
  • Give your new 100 YO lady friend a reward, eg box of chocolates.
  • 200 bars is quite a lot, best get the bottle inspected, although I'm wondering what you intend to use it for?

i am long past 200 BAR, nowadays it is 300 BAR or bust ( not literally )
Just put a new 300 BAR carbon fiber bottle on one of my rifles,,,,,, with UK made fittings of course.
Only tested to 100 BAR as i dont have 300 BAR in any bottle, 150 is all i can do, and i need those 50 BAR for my next shooting session, the 300 BAR bottle will get filled again next week.

O i am so going to up parking guard timer from 1 hour.

A plastic bump like this should "buff" right out, fortunately my M8 are experienced in car bodywork and paint, so if insurance flip me off, we can fix it good enough to pass MOT in 2 years, and the car probably not last much more than that anyway.

IMG_20220804_115609.jpg

A plastic bump like this should "buff" right out, fortunately my M8 are experienced in car bodywork and paint, so if insurance flip me off, we can fix it good enough to pass MOT in 2 years, and the car probably not last much more than that anyway.
If it was UK insurance then I would avoid telling them, as the insurance cost next year would probably increase. Much better if you can get some cash from the culprit and sort it yourself, probably doesn't even need paint given the age of the car. Does look like the clip is broken, but that is an easy fix with a plastic welder.

I guessed you weren't going diving!

With the amount of lift i have today, it would take a lead belt as heavy as i have been for most of my life just to give me neutral buoyancy

That was actually a issue when i was young, i was so skinny that i could not float, had to swim or drown, these days i might be able to float across the channel carrying a couple of refugees.

Last edited:
But just go to prove, done trust 100 % in your dashcam and its capabilities
Not sure how the dasmcam is the problem here. Your dashcam did the job that you assigned it 100% and is extremely capable.
You were the one that set parking guard to 1 hour and it did it's job. If anything, you were the one that limited it's capability.
Whenever I use parking guard, I don't set a time limit on it ever...

Sure can not blame the A229 for anything, the only "problem" would have been i had not set a setting that would have allowed a capture.

But i do use the 1 hour or at least some limiter as i drive very little, some days only 5 minutes, so a parking guard only limited by the low voltage cut off i think is not for me, my small car also have a small battery ( now upped to a "massive" 50 Ah )
Also at home i have CCTV on the parked car, so no need for parking guard really, and even if there was, the back yard where i park is pitch black at night, aside for a 10 W PIR LED light, but that would just back light people approaching my parked car.

I cant wait to hear from my insurance, the problem is they say it can take upwards of 10 days,,,,,,, which i find poor service, what if my car had been rendered inoperative and i needed it daily.
Okay it sort of is, the way the rear plastic fender are ripped loose in the Left side, thats actually not legal to drive with, as you could rip a cyclist or pedestrian to shreds,,,,, well thats how i feel the law in to be interpreted.
We will probably have to take our car guy skills to my rear bumper come Sunday

This is also the first time in the 35 years or so i have owned cars that i have experienced something like this,,,,, parking lot dings sure, but this is more than a ding.

thats honestly really frustrating, i remember seeing a very close near miss and went to take the card from my a129, but i didnt hold the camera so when i pushed the micro sds card slot the camera went flying from its mount and the sd card got launched into space or something, never found it, was a shame because is was a brand new 128gb pro endurance. Hope you get your car sorted

If there was a option to buy a dashcam with a micro SD card and a regular SD card, i would buy that camera that supported the standard SD card, thats for damn sure.
In my Lukas camera back in the day i did use micro SD cards in the SD adapter and it worked just fine.

Actually if someone made a dashcam that would take a USB thumb drive or a NVME drive i would get that too over a micro SD system.

I will not say i hate the micro SD cards, but i have always felt that in dashcams they are problematic.

I have also launched cards out of action cameras, but then it have been at home in the living room, where the card are between easy to very easy to find again,,,,, even if my livingroom can be a little messy at times, as lets face it i live alone - i am a man.

In Denmark we have a saying that go " luck follow the crazy ones"

And apparently i must have fulfilled my crazy ration for the month already, CUZ today returning from a little shopping the lady that live down on the ground floor ( with whom i talked yesterday as she did see me looking for something ) opened the window and said she found a memory card on the sidewalk,,,,, apparently just 10 - 15 inches from where i found the other card, and worst of all on the concrete pavement stones so in as plain sight as it could ever be.

So the 128 Gb Adata card is also safe, and now as i have replaced it with another card for my drive today, it will get a well deserved rest in the "bed" where i keep all my other SD cards not in use.

In Denmark we have a saying that go " luck follow the crazy ones"

And apparently i must have fulfilled my crazy ration for the month already, CUZ today returning from a little shopping the lady that live down on the ground floor ( with whom i talked yesterday as she did see me looking for something ) opened the window and said she found a memory card on the sidewalk,,,,, apparently just 10 - 15 inches from where i found the other card, and worst of all on the concrete pavement stones so in as plain sight as it could ever be.

So the 128 Gb Adata card is also safe, and now as i have replaced it with another card for my drive today, it will get a well deserved rest in the "bed" where i keep all my other SD cards not in use.
I had a feeling that the second card would show up eventually. :joyful:

I saw a video of a woman popping a dent out of the hood of a car using a dildo with a suction cup base. I wonder how well that method would work at popping your dent out.

I think my dent are a bit severe for a suction cup on what ever kind of handle.
I have already lined my M8 up and he will clear out and move his work table that have been sitting right inside the sliding garage door at his place, its not really a garage unless we talk very small stuff like my car.
Plenty of hot water and a broom handle should be fine.

I did try to get behind the plastics today and push out, but i was not able to make the plastic move a mm, and as long as it is as warped as it is i can not get the gap behind the rear wheel well pushed back in, and that is what technically make my car illegal to drive ATM,,,, as the lord forbid a poor helpless innocent Danish cyclist or pedestrian get a bruise.

Though, the way i see it, if one of those get with in the 1 -2 " of my car at speed, they should probably worry about the entire car and not a little piece of plastic.

Its the same when they years ago banned bull bars here,,,,,the argument was people would get more hurt,,,,, my reasoning if you get hit by a semi with a bull bar or a 4x4,,,,,, that little bit of additional metal on the front of it are probably the least of your problems.
So i judge nanny state in operation, and put on my sour lemon face.

Back