A118-C GPS pinout

uski

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Blueskysea A12 + Viofo A119 + Viofo A118C
Hi there

I'm trying to locate the pinout of the A118-C GPS.
There are 3 pins on the 3.5mm jack, does anyone know which is which ?

I'm pretty sure there is a ground pin, a power supply pin (probably 3.3V), and a serial port (what baudrate ? what protocol, probably NMEA 0183)

If anybody knows it would be very much appreciated. Just trying to use my own GPS receiver (I have hundreds at work, just need to wire it properly)

Thanks !

wiring it is no issue, if the data format is not in the format the camera uses it won't interpret it correctly

Hi !
I highly doubt it's using a non-standard data format, is it ?
Most GPS modules use the NMEA 0183 format, at a baudrate like 9600 bauds.
Rarely, they use proprietary protocols like uBlox UBX protocols or the MediaTek proprietary protocol depending on the chipset but I highly doubt it's what is used here.

Do you have any information about a proprietary protocol being used by that GPS module ?

Thanks !

Thank you, I'll look into this. I'm pretty sure it's 3.3V with 9600 8N1 NMEA 0183 protocol. I'll check and report my findings here :)

Have a nice day !

I confirm the settings above, my guess was correct : 9600 bauds, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit.
Protocol is standard NMEA 0183 also.

I tested with a Quectel L76 GNSS module and it works (which means you can use modules with GPS and Glonass).

The pinout is as follows, as jokiin mentionned :
- Tip : 3.3V power supply
- Middle : GPS serial port output
- Base : Ground

This is an extremely common configuration. Most GPS receivers on the market can be configured to work with these settings and most of the time it's the default settings.

So if someone wants to hack something, here's the info ! :)

It shows the GPS speed on the camera itself, so the pinout and serial port settings are right.
I didn't test the player software yet - good question. I'll do that soon and report here.

After testing I confirm the GPS data is properly recorded into the files. Registrator Viewer is able to display all information (speed, latitude, longitude...) from the trip. :)

Back