A118C, black footage

Antifanity

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everybody, I have an A118C that recently had issues with being stuck on the startup screen.

I just recently fixed that issue, by updating the firmware, but now the camera is just black. It goes through the startup process fine, loads up, and it says recording, but the camera is just a black screen on the LCD.

I reset it, cut the power, formatted it, reset all settings, but nothing has works.

Any ideas?

Is an authentic A118C or knock off copy version? Where did you get it from? Try updating firmware to clear a stuck startup.

The camera was bought off of Amazon, this one specifically here.

Firmware is latest version, it starts up with the Viofo logo and goes to the screensaver where you'd normally see the image capture but it just doesn't engage in footage recording.

VIOFO is the only factory making an authentic original quality A118C camera. I don't see VIOFO mentioned anywhere in that listing so probably the cheaper copy version which isn't nearly as stable or made as well. See if they will honor a warranty replacement.

If you go to Viofo's website, and click the link to buy the A118C, it brings you to that link.

If you go to Viofo's website, and click the link to buy the A118C, it brings you to that link.

Not sure why they would leave off the VIOFO brand from the listing then. (doesn't seem right) Photo near the buttons shows grey backing from VHB "3M" tape, that's not what VIOFO uses. What's your serial number range?

Last edited:
The camera was bought off of Amazon, this one specifically here.

Firmware is latest version, it starts up with the Viofo logo and goes to the screensaver where you'd normally see the image capture but it just doesn't engage in footage recording.

got anything plugged in to the camera aside from the USB power?

Ah yes not sure why I didn't read closer, I thought you meant the video you recorded is all black.

If the dashcam live screen is black sounds like you have something plugged into the A/V out port by mistake, or the switch inside that port is activated. Try plugging in the GPS in/out of the A/V out port a few times to reset it. (if you were already using the correct port)

I actually just discovered its not software related at all.
The actually camera itself seemed to have broken.

I took it inside and plugged it into the wall, to see if I could fix it inside.

I discovered that if I put pressure on the camera lens, it suddenly shows the image capture, but if I relieve pressure, the camera distorts for a moment, then goes blank.

Here's a quick example of what I'm talking about
https://vid.me/gMzLm

You could open it up and check if the sensor's ribbon cable is seated properly in the ZIF sockets. Could be a lock that's opened up due to vibration.

You could open it up and check if the sensor's ribbon cable is seated properly in the ZIF sockets. Could be a lock that's opened up due to vibration.

certainly can't hurt to have a look considering the state it's in now

Back