A118C compared to A118 - Review video

Gibson99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Yes
I finally finished putting together my first review video. In it, I show the unboxing, compare the original battery-based A118 to the new A118C - particularly the time it takes for them to boot up and shut down, show a few sample videos, and give a quick rundown of pros and cons. Let me know what you think!

Thanks again to @GearBest for holding the giveaway where I won the A118C you see in this video!

Last edited:
Thanks! I didn't intend for the video to be so long, but it works out. I definitely need to work on my voice. When I watched the final product, I realized I have a rather monotone voice, and I sometimes mumble. I did better on the conclusion voiceover because I had actually written what to say rather than ad-libbing on top of the videos as they played, or while unboxing/comparing. Learned a lot though, so my next review video should be more polished.

Good review, but perhaps you went through the menus a bit quickly?

Good review, but perhaps you went through the menus a bit quickly?
yes, you're right. i think that was something like my 8th or 9th take at filming the menus. i kept getting interrupted by kids, phone, the dog barking, or my butterfingers actually dropping the dashcam. By then, I was frustrated and had stopped trying to talk about the menu items as i brought them up on screen, and simply went through them all, planning to do a voiceover later. next time, i'll talk about the menus as i go through them anyway, which will slow it down enough for better explanations, and if i still decide to do a voiceover, it won't feel so rushed.

As i said, this was my first ever video review, and I've learned a lot from it, including details like this. rather than moving thru every menu on video, i may take snapshots of each screen in the menus, assemble them into a slideshow, then do a completely un-hurried voiceover for that. it would result in the screen being more clear as well, since a still camera always gets better resolution than a video camera.

Good review. I am wondering if the A118C stores the date and time and remembers it the next time you turn on the car? Have heard because there isn't a battery, the A118C may forgot time and date.

Good review. I am wondering if the A118C stores the date and time and remembers it the next time you turn on the car? Have heard because there isn't a battery, the A118C may forgot time and date.
i believe it has an alkaline watch-type battery inside for storing settings and date/time. i haven't opened mine to check, but so far i've left it unplugged and sitting on my desk for a couple days and the time was still correct. i didn't check to see if it was accurate to the second, but i don't care, either.

if you have the GPS add-on (i don't) the time/date will be automatically set every time it gets a GPS fix, so it's not a big deal.

Back