Reaction score
Country
India
Items required:

24mm CPL

2X2mm Neodymium magnets

3M double sided tape

Any black sticker.

Attach a small piece of 3M double sided tape to lens housing as shown in the picture, then attach the magnets side by side to the tape and stick another piece of tape on top. I've used 8 magnets on each side, due to their small size, working with 2 at a time; stuck to each other length wise.

a118c6 (1).png

a118c5 (1).png

Cut the black sticker to size and paste it on the 2nd layer of the 3M tape.

a118c2 (1).png

a118c1 (1).png

CPL attached.

a118c4 (1).png

a118c3 (1).png

The hold is firm and there is no vignetting with the 24mm CPL.

Best part being, it's totally reversible, opposed to permanently sticking magnets with glue.

This is a 24mm CPL meant for the Mini series. It sticks to the magnets.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 Eye using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lol

Sent from my HTC One_M8 Eye using Tapatalk

Night-time videos with and without the DIY'd CPL

Without CPL

With CPL

Daytime videos..tomorrow..

Daytime (gloomy weather) videos with and without the CPL

CPL adjustment

With CPL

Without CPL

Quite happy with the result of the DIY, the CPL doesn't shift or fall off as the hold is strong and the results are decent during the day, night-time video with the CPL is rubbish.

Last edited:
night-time video with the CPL is rubbish.

Don't forget that most CPL cost you at least 2 stop of light (a good quality CPL is 2 stops, a cheap knockoff may be more). That means means each stop of loss cuts the amount of light reaching the sensor by 50%. No big deal during the day, but that's a lot of light lost for night time shooting with the A118. With some of the newer dashcams with higher ISO sensors, this becomes very interesting.

Don't forget that most CPL cost you at least 2 stop of light (a good quality CPL is 2 stops, a cheap knockoff may be more). That means means each stop of loss cuts the amount of light reaching the sensor by 50%. No big deal during the day, but that's a lot of light lost for night time shooting with the A118. With some of the newer dashcams with higher ISO sensors, this becomes very interesting.
Good CPLs block about 1 f-stop.

I'm aware that this CPL is cutting out a minimum of 2 stops of light. But the reduction in glare and reflections outweighs the light being cut during the day. Optical quality definitely leaves a lot to be desired. Not using the CPL during night-time anymore.

Last edited:
Hey guys just wondered if this would be of any use for this mod

Back