a118c - hardwired - have to disconnect and reconnect ground all the time

dervan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Everyone,

I hardwired a front and rear a118c into my car.

Both cameras are grounded with an alligator clip on each end. Both cameras are run separately to their own ground, but both connect to the same fuse tap for power.

The back camera never has any issues.

The front camera will work for 2-3 days and then next time i start the car the power and mic wil light up but the camera keeps rebooting itself before it will fully load. All I have to do to fix this is disconnect the ground clip for 5 seconds, reconnect to the exact same spot and the camera will boot fine and work again for a few days and then it will repeat.

Is there anything I should be trying to fix this? Only thing I can think of is that removing the ground and putting it back on is slightly moving the wire inside the cable if there was a kink or break or something.

Out of ideas.

Let me know.

Thanks,

P.S. I did swap cameras from front to back and same issue occurs on either camera

Last edited:
I would not use a clip for your ground. You need a good, fixed, ground.

I have tried using bare wire and loosened multiple nuts and put the wire in and tightened down and still the same issue.

Even before I had them both hooked up to the same alligator clip and still the back camera would work fine but the front would have an issue.

I guess can we can rule it down to the actual hardwire kit for the front camera.

Maybe I'll try replacing the small glass fuse inside to start, and if still an issue I guess order another hardwire kit unless anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks!

Yeah, if you swapped cameras and the front still does it, I would lean toward the hardwire kit too. Or a connection to the front camera. Power cable? Does this happen with the supplied cigarette plug adapter?

i would start with a proper grounding then taking from there otherwise you have nothing to start with ,its like saying that your radio doesnt Work because the batteries are upside Down ;)

I have tried using bare wire and loosened multiple nuts and put the wire in and tightened down and still the same issue.

That probably means you've got a bad/weak ground point. If you're not using a factory-provided ground point, you need to ensure the metal you're tapping into for GND is unpainted & free of grease/dirt/etc. Bad grounding can & will create all sorts of strange problems (but not necessarily permanent damage) with electronic devices.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

This issue was resolved by replacing the hardwire kit for the front camera. Haven't had any issues for over 2 months now. Same setup as before.

Back