A118C: How long can the clock last after disconnected from power

ellis777

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
How long can the A118C clock last after disconnected from power supply, since i don't use the car very often i wonder if i need to adjust the clock regularly.

If you have GPS attached it makes no difference as the date/time will be synchronized with the satellites. I have 2 in my wife's car (front and rear). The front cam has the GPS and the rear cam does not. We have let the car sit for up to 3 days without being started and the rear cam retained the date/time for at least that long.

Last edited:
I had mine on my desk for about 2 weeks without a problem.

the C doesn't use the caps for storing time/date/settings. it has a little button cell (like a watch battery) specifically for storing that. and I don't have the GPS addon.

If you have GPS attached it makes no difference as the date/time will be synchronized with the satellites. I have 2 in my wife's car (front and rear). The front cam has the GPS and the rear cam does not. We have let the car sit for up to 3 days without being started and the rear cam retained the date/time for at least that long.

Even when the GPS syncs the time and date, don't you still need to set the international time zone?

So I guess it does make a difference to have the camera retain the info. :) My super-capacitored Mobius cams hold the date and time for as much as ten days. I've assumed the SG9665GC & A118 would be similar but I've not tested it.

So I guess it does make a difference to have the camera retain the info. :) My super-capacitored Mobius cams hold the date and time for as much as ten days. I've assumed the SG9665GC & A118 would be similar but I've not tested it.
Based on what @Gibson99 posted above it sounds like it won't be much of an issue. My wife will be on vacation in a couple of weeks and, odds are, her car will be sitting for about 7 to 10 days so will know more then.

@jokiin has said in the past the SG9665GC has a RTC battery so I'd not worry about it.

My assumption is that the settings themselves (time zone, audio on/off, g-sensor, etc.) are stored in nonvolatile memory so no concern there if that's the case.

Last edited:
Does the A118C have a RTC battery too, or is that exclusively a Street Guardian feature?
yes, the a118c does have the RTC battery. RTC = Real Time Clock. it's the button battery i was talking about. you can see it in some of the disassembly pictures of the a118c, particularly the ones talking about the SD card getting stuck.

yes, the a118c does have the RTC battery. RTC = Real Time Clock. it's the button battery i was talking about. you can see it in some of the disassembly pictures of the a118c, particularly the ones talking about the SD card getting stuck.

Thanks, I know what a RTC battery is. I was just asking if the camera had one. Many super-capped cameras do not, relying on the cap alone to keep the data intact.

i make no assumptions about what abbreviations people know - no offense intended. :D

also, it's good for future search results... if anyone ever bothers to search before they just post the same FAQs - (un)Fortunately ASSed Queries. ;)

Glad to learn that it has a RTC battery inside, good design! hope that the battery can last for several years.

Can someone kindly point me to the link that shows the disassembled A118C, would like to have a look on the that battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back