A118C - Internal Timekeeping Battery?

M---

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A118C
Does the A118C have a little lithium battery, the button-cell type, to maintain its internal clock? My clock reset itself a month ago, after I was out of town for 5 days.

The backstory:
I just pulled the latest files off my A118C, expecting to find the last several hours of driving (there was an odd incident between a cyclist and motorcyclist that I wanted to review). But the last few hours of driving were completely missing!

In fact, it looked like everything from the last month was missing. Strangely enough, though, there were files from January, 2015 on the camera. What on earth???????

As it turns out, about a month ago, it looks like my dashcam lost track of time, starting about a month ago, when I returned from a 5-day work trip. So the "newest" files were saved as 2015-January. And any unlocked driving since my work trip has, of course, been overwritten because it's the "oldest" footage on the camera. My poor SD card has probably had the same 3-minute segment overwritten many many many times each day. At least the shock sensor was reset, so it accidentally locked files every time I went over a pothole. That probably saved the card from a lot of wear.

Thanks-- guess I'll have to open the cam up to replace it. (groan)...

Same issue with date n time. Open up and search but didn't have an RTC cell, just capacitors. Everytime it will overwrite my old files :(. Hoping someone will have another solution?

Same issue with date n time. Open up and search but didn't have an RTC cell, just capacitors. Everytime it will overwrite my old files :(. Hoping someone will have another solution?

if it has no RTC battery it's not an A118C, it's a copy

Hi guys, I found the RTC battery in the A118C. It was under the circuit board. I have no idea how to replace the battery or the type of battery. Wanted to know from you guys the best way to remove since the battery is soldered?IMG_20190415_224722.jpgIMG_20190415_224831.jpg

if it has no RTC battery it's not an A118C, it's a copy
It's was hidden beneath and had to remove the screws on the circuit board to see the RTC battery. Glad I found it after u mentioned about it. Thanks

You'll need a similar cell with solder tabs in the same configuration, or you or someone else who has a battery welder can add similar tabs to a bare cell. Nearly impossible to get a solid solder connection to the battery without overheating it. Maybe Viofo can supply one.

Phil

You'll need a similar cell with solder tabs in the same configuration, or you or someone else who has a battery welder can add similar tabs to a bare cell. Nearly impossible to get a solid solder connection to the battery without overheating it. Maybe Viofo can supply one.

Phil
Screenshot_2019-04-16-00-18-38.png
Last night I went searching for the cell. Glad I found the exact same cell with the solder tabs. Placed an order n can't wait to receive it in a month's time. Will update after receiving n testing.

Back