A118c "Mass Storage" when connect to PC?

I really wasn't looking for a reason why. Since you suggested other functions, I took a look at my setup and the number of functions I have ignored or turned off. I have to wonder if maybe one or more pointless function was added in place of another.

nothing pointless has been added

nothing pointless has been added
probably the biggest differences i saw between the beta street guardian firmware jokiin had me try versus the generic one (on the original a118, not the a118c) was that the generic one had a still camera mode, and the SG one only offered 1080p - it didn't offer the lower resolutions (720p, vga) that the generic one had. so in some ways, the generic firmware has more features, though it may be argued that still camera mode on a dashcam is rather pointless. i could see if maybe it was capable of time-lapse mode, but it's not, so it's pretty useless imho. however, i CAN see cases where someone would want to run at a lower resolution to get more recording time out of a given memory card, and the SG version doesn't allow that... at least, the BETA firmware I tried didn't allow it.

we still don't allow it, nothing lower than 1080p

realistically if that was important to someone to use 720p or lower to maximise their recording time or whatever we're not the product for them, you can't be all things to all people, removing some of the functionality we don't need gives us more room for the things we do

i could see if maybe it was capable of time-lapse mode, but it's not, so it's pretty useless imho. /QUOTE]

About the time lapse, most of action camera support this, on dash camera, I only see Kyuba T6 support this, it is not so useful for a dash cam.

i wanted to use time lapse to record my 2000 mile road trip. instead, i had to record video (and swap SD cards each day when they got full) then edit and speed it up to achieve the same effect. granted, it's a lot smoother this way, but i think a time lapse, taking a photo every 1 second would have been easier to do and it would have used a LOT less disk space.

that said, this is not something your average dashcam user would ever do. but how many of them use their dashcams to take single still photos?

Last edited:
My A118C from GearBest (February) still has PC web cam function and it is working. I did try it (just of curiosity).

My A118C from GearBest (February) still has PC web cam function and it is working. I did try it (just of curiosity).
that's interesting... mine never had the web cam function. when i plug it in to a PC, it just goes direct to mass storage and doesn't let me do anything else. which firmware version do you have?

the web cam function would be useful for focusing the lens.

that's interesting... mine never had the web cam function. when i plug it in to a PC, it just goes direct to mass storage and doesn't let me do anything else. which firmware version do you have?

Mine has 2 options to choose from: Mass storage and PC Cam

The March FW has 2 options when you connect the dashcam to your computer. Storage or Cam.

....the web cam function would be useful for focusing the lens.

Using it to focus the camera isn't something that hopefully very many people have a need for but it's one I would use.

It's too bad the term 'Web Cam' was ever used because it immediately suggests a function that is, IMO, worthless. It's right up there with the still-photo capability and VGA recording. A better term than 'Web Cam' would have been 'Live Video' or PC Cam' because it doesn't imply a specific use. Many might find it useful in determining where to stick the one-shot mounting plate amongst the collection of things at the top of the glass. And, when you have live video available, there's probably lots of things that the more ambitious users will find handy.

If I could be certain that I could replace the 20150104 FW on a unit from Foxoffer with the one that offered two modes when connected to USB, I'd do it before I tackled the focus problem.

I've just received an AUTO-VOX A118C. It has firmware A118C.20150312 and gives the 2 options. When connecting the dashcam to a PC the dashcam first shows "low battery". The choice has to be made quickly, else the dashcam powers off.

Hey folks. I know this is a super old thread but I was wondering if anyone figured out the cause of the PC Cam/Mass Storage problem when not connected to a PC. I have mine wired via a tap with capacitors to my rear powered view mirror on my edge. I had the same setup on my Challenger. I can't remember when the issue started.

Is this a voltage issue or is the cable I'm using a data cable that's tripping the camera up or is the camera broken? I've had this cam since 2017. It's a capacitor version so I can't try it unplugged. I will say it never shuts down. It shows the pc/mass storage option for as long as the car is on and if I hit reset a dozen times most of the time I can eventually get it to go into camera mode. I'll see if I can find the original outlet cable that it came with to test in that situation.

Back