A118C nearly three years later

Jrlivin2

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A118C
I got two A118C’s with GPS from Gearbest during February 2015 almost immediately after they were released. They have both worked great for nearly three years. I did a firmware update during spring 2015 but other than that I haven’t touched them except to remove the SD cards to view videos. Yesterday I updated both to the beta firmware from July 2016. No issues updating the firmware. GPS seems to lock quicker now. I will eventually get something that has better capability in low light situations but for around $60 each I have been pleased. I can’t comment on the quality of the ones being sold now but the early ones seem to work great. I recall Gibson99 and I got them around the same time. In fact if I recall correctly he won a freebie in a drawing of some kind? I wonder how his is holding up?

Last edited:
I have an auto vox a118c, only had it for about 6 months though but not at all problematic, paid £30 ($40) for it, off ebay, technically second hand, but brand new unused. Got a cheap GPS module that's also faultless

I need to move my ferrite core on the wire though, I think it's too far from the camera

I got two A118C’s with GPS from Gearbest during February 2015 almost immediately after they were released. They have both worked great for nearly three years. I did a firmware update during spring 2015 but other than that I haven’t touched them except to remove the SD cards to view videos. Yesterday I updated both to the beta firmware from July 2016. No issues updating the firmware. GPS seems to lock quicker now. I will eventually get something that has better capability in low light situations but for around $60 each I have been pleased. I can’t comment on the quality of the ones being sold now but the early ones seem to work great. I recall Gibson99 and I got them around the same time. In fact if I recall correctly he won a freebie in a drawing of some kind? I wonder how his is holding up?
No issues with mine, or the original battery a118 I bought from @spytec back when it was also freshly released. I use them both as rear cameras in our cars with a119's in the front.

I bought a SpyTec A118-C Feb, 2015. I had if up front for a year then got a A119-C for the front and moved this one to the back it died about 6 months ago, so I got about 2.5 years use out of it.
Do any of them last for ever?

There's usually a lifespan on these and it really depends on the area you live in, weather, etc. I've had mines since around June 2015 Spytec A118C and it's still running fine though there is a noticeable white color on the lens probably due to the hot sun. I'm looking for a rear cam but need to know how to install it.

I bought the A118 (B40 B) and mounted it in our Mustang in June 2014. I installed a 32G Micro Center SD card in it. They are both still running like new; no problems at all! Uhhh, did I just jinx myself?

Back