A118C (New) loses settings, except date/time

Steve S

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all

I just went from a G1W-CB to the A118C.. with the new A188C I noticed that after I go through the menu and make changes to the settings, those settings don't save after I turn the camera off and back on again. However, the date and time maintain their correct setting.

I also noticed that when I turn the key off, the camera turns off immediately. My G1W-CB would take a second or two to turn off after I turn the key off, so this seems unusual. Is this a defective unit? The capacitor has held the time and date for two days, so I don't know why this would occur with only some of the settings.

I am using firmware 2005-03-08 (don't remember the exact file name) Pls help :) thanks!
-Steve

there's an RTC battery for date and time, other settings are stored in read only section of memory, what settings are you changing that are not staying set?

GSensor is on by default, and I am trying to keep it off..
Loop recording is 3min (I believe) and I am trying to change it to 5min..
My license plate goes away completely, when its on it usually stays on the top of the screen..
These are the big ones, I havent tried any others.

GSensor is on by default, and I am trying to keep it off..
Loop recording is 3min (I believe) and I am trying to change it to 5min..
My license plate goes away completely, when its on it usually stays on the top of the screen..
These are the big ones, I havent tried any others.

sounds like you have a faulty camera, better talk to the seller

Awesome, that makes two in a row from gearbest :(

I am done with them if this is faulty and unfixable and they can issue a return.. hoped I would learn my lesson after the G1W-CB but I guess I didnt :)

I am done with them if this is faulty and unfixable and they can issue a return.. hoped I would learn my lesson after the G1W-CB but I guess I didnt :)

let us know how it pans out, these are the types of things that people don't take into consideration when buying from overseas so some real world examples of what happens when things go wrong is useful

I definitely took the possibility of getting a faulty camera into consideration, what I DIDNT take into consideration was getting two faulty cameras in a row ;););)
Alas, I have removed the camera from my vehicle and submitted a ticket to GearBest to see how to proceed.

FWIW: They got back and asked me to upload a video or pictures with a 2MB max file size.. I cant take clear, concise pictures and keep them that small, so I made a quick YouTube video which can be viewed here:

Hopefully it satisfies their current inquiry!

Sorry about that, it was hard to do that with only 2 hands :D
Thank you for your insight, I will post in here about my experience with GearBest as it becomes available.

Sorry about that, it was hard to do that with only 2 hands :D
Thank you for your insight, I will post in here about my experience with GearBest as it becomes available.

if you pull power and the LED's go off immediately with no delay at all it is a hardware fault

I agree, it definitely sounds like the capacitor is either bad or not connected properly, which is terrible because it is something I could likely fix at home but not without some sort of compensation for my time. I will let GearBest handle it :)

I agree, it definitely sounds like the capacitor is either bad or not connected properly, which is terrible because it is something I could likely fix at home but not without some sort of compensation for my time. I will let GearBest handle it :)

will either be caps or PCB fault, have seen it before

Well they finally reviewed the video and gave me 3 options...

1.) Send the items back to them for repair
2.) $10 back to my credit card or $15 in GearBest.com store credit
3.) Send me a new one for $35.

Each of these is terrible.. I can't imagine how much it would cost to ship to China, I am on east coast USA, and $35 seems a bit pricey for something that I don't know will work.
My gut is telling me to take the lousy $10 credit and try to fix it myself. Worst case scenario is that I can't fix it and its junk, but I really don't want to keep doing business with this company :(

Well their warranty page says:
1. In the unlikely situation that your product is faulty, you can send it back for a refund within 45 days of receiving it. Return shipping reimbursement is unavailable.

So I am going to try to get that going, depending on how much shipping ends up being.

Back