A118C night time settings

BlackRose67

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Blueskysea B1W
I have a VIOFO branded A118C using default values for EV, etc.

I'm very happy with the daytime and nightime urban results, but nighttime results out in the rural areas are not that good.

Reviewing night time footage, the video really only shows to the end of where the headlights shine.
Any recommended settings that would give slightly better night time results without causing washed out daytime results?

It's the nature of the beast for that camera (I have 2 and that's been my experience as well). About the most you can do is to play with the EV settings and push them up, maybe 1/3 EV at a time, until you start to degrade the daylight performance. Other than that it's just something you'll have to live with.

Agreed. Just the limitations of this image sensor. If you need better, you can upgrade to the Street guardian version of this camera (sg9665gc if I remember right) which has a Sony image sensor, better processor, and a few other tweaks, but still has the same outer chassis. Yes it costs more, but you do get what you pay for in this case.

Night test comparison between generic and premium model

niko, the video in itself is not that useful without the information about the settings in particular video rate and EV. I guess that it is possible to get similar result to those in the video with two similar A118 one running with EV=+1.0 and the other at EV=-1.0.

niko, the video in itself is not that useful without the information about the settings in particular video rate and EV. I guess that it is possible to get similar result to those in the video with two similar A118 one running with EV=+1.0 and the other at EV=-1.0.

think you'll find the settings are at defaults on each, @niko can confirm

All settings are mentioned 1 year ago and raw / original video files download links added HERE

2nd side by side test HERE also with all added info.

You can try putting 2 x generic B40 side by side at night, one with default EV-0 and other with EV +1 / +2 and you will see result with a much more motion blur on the unit with EV +... settings.

Back