A118C Novatek 96650 Capacitor Battery Dash Cam@Gearbest

those were likely just defective units. i've had mine since August 2014 and had no issues. and trust me - it gets PLENTY hot here in houston in august. i've had no focus issues with it.

Thanks for the feedback - that's good to hear.

I just ordered it from GearBest, and the whole ordering process was a bit of a pain. Certainly not Amazon caliber, that's for sure!

I selected CDN dollars, then I see that they accept Bitcoin, so I click on "Place my order" to pay with bitcoin to see what the price would be. Not crazy about the price, so I change my mind. Go back in my browser, but everything has been cleared. Put the item in my cart again and go through checkout one more time. This time I select PayPal, but when I'm redirected they are charging me in US funds, not CDN like I requested. Back again, cart is cleared, have to start all over. This time I check out with credit card and all is smooth.

However, when I go check my e-mail I see that I now have ordered the camera three times with three different order numbers! OK, I get it, I shouldn't have clicked on "Place my order", but that is not exactly an intuitive system.

Obviously I don't need three cameras, so I've gone through their support centre to cancel the first two orders. Hope that won't mess up the third order.

Last edited:

I just ordered it from GearBest, and the whole ordering process was a bit of a pain. Certainly not Amazon caliber, that's for sure!

I selected CDN dollars, then I see that they accept Bitcoin, so I click on "Place my order" to pay with bitcoin to see what the price would be. Not crazy about the price, so I change my mind. Go back in my browser, but everything has been cleared. Put the item in my cart again and go through checkout one more time. This time I select PayPal, but when I'm redirected they are charging me in US funds, not CDN like I requested. Back again, cart is cleared, have to start all over. This time I check out with credit card and all is smooth.

However, when I go check my e-mail I see that I now have ordered the camera three times with three different order numbers! OK, I get it, I shouldn't have clicked on "Place my order", but that is not exactly an intuitive system.

Obviously I don't need three cameras, so I've gone through their support centre to cancel the first two orders. Hope that won't mess up the third order.
Take advantage of @GearBest being a member here. Contact Sunny if you have issues or questions rather than the generic Customer Service contacts which seem much much slower. I would definitely contact her to check your order before it ships. Either PM her here or email Sunny@gearbest.com

I showed my A118 to my brother-in-law a few days ago and he loved it! Asked me to email him the details, so I sent him a link to the GearBest site. He ordered the A118C today and is planning to get the GPS for it as well.

Hi Little Tim,

Thank you so much for shopping on GB, I will tyou help me handle the problem later :)

Hi Gearbest,

Do you have this dashcam in stock at the netherland warehouse?
I am trying to decide if I want to ship this via singpost or netherlands post to Canada since Chinese New Year is coming around the corner.

Hi wing0,

We do not have this dashcam at netherland warehouse now. But we will ship the orders out ASAP before Chinese New Year :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see that these are now available and with such a great price, I just had to order one. Now I need to look at how to cleanly mount and power my old G1W-C as a rear cam.
Enjoy your Spring Festival (I was in Shekou area for a couple weeks during last year's).

Nice to see that these are now available and with such a great price, I just had to order one. Now I need to look at how to cleanly mount and power my old G1W-C as a rear cam.
Enjoy your Spring Festival (I was in Shekou area for a couple weeks during last year's).
@chris-s has his g1w mounted with an adhesive pad (instead of the big suction cup). i couldn't find the link, but he's posted it somewhere on the forum here. when i search amazon for "g1w adhesive mount" all i got was a bunch of a118/b40 cameras, and some subwoofers (??). i guess the a118 makes sense since in a way, it is basically a g1w (same sensor and chipset) in a better package that's meant to be mounted with adhesive.

Is the adhesive mount on the A118C clear, white, or black? Are there any alternatives to the adhesive mount? Also, are there any good recommendations on a long mini-USB cable that connects to a USB socket as I think the cable it comes with plugs into the cigarette lighter socket... and I rather have it plugged into a USB socket that I have.

Is the adhesive mount on the A118C clear, white, or black? Are there any alternatives to the adhesive mount? Also, are there any good recommendations on a long mini-USB cable that connects to a USB socket as I think the cable it comes with plugs into the cigarette lighter socket... and I rather have it plugged into a USB socket that I have.

the one i just received today from gearbest has gray 3m adhesive. my original a118 also came with gray. clear would be best, followed by black, but gray isn't bad, especially if you're mounting it in the shaded or "dot" area at the top of the windshield.

monoprice.com sells REALLY cheap cables in just about any configuration you can imagine. i bought some 10-ft long usb A to micro-B cables for charging our phones for only $1.20 each. that said, you need to make sure that whatever usb port you plan to use can supply at least 1 amp to the camera, or it probably won't work right. the actual standard for USB says 500mA - half an amp. so many cheap chargers or usb ports on car stereos or in the dashboard only provide that 500mA, which may not run a dashcam properly, and will only slowly charge a smartphone.

Is there anywhere to get the clear adhesive ?

Does the gearbest a118C come with the updated housing with air vents and updated firmware?

Last edited:
i've never really looked for the clear adhesive. my local auto parts store sells rolls of the gray. haven't found any other colors locally except white, which is a softer foam and isn't as strong as the gray, but i used the white to mount my a118 because i already had some, and it's lasted several months already.

yes, the A118C has the vents. as for outward appearance, the only differences i can see between the C and my original one are:
1) A118C has added vents, but newer A118 (battery) have the vents too.
2) the labels at the top of the screen for the LEDs is sort of holographic or pearlescent on the A118C. at different angles, the labels have sort of rainbow reflections. on my original a118, the labels are just plain white.
3) the C (from gearbest) has a serial number: "B40A1503####" (doesn't seem to indicate a date, maybe just the year), where the original (from spytec) only has a tiny round date sticker covering one of the screw holes, indicating July 2014.

The serial numbers are different for each dashcam. I have two A118C dashcams and both are starting with "B40A15030###".
I posted a video about A118C start recording timing here.

enjoy,
Mtz

The serial numbers are different for each dashcam. I have two A118C dashcams and both are starting with "B40A15030###".
I posted a video about A118C start recording timing here.

enjoy,
Mtz
as they SHOULD be different, otherwise it's not much of a "serial" is it? ;)
my main comment about the serial sticker was the fact that my original A118 from July 2014 does not have a serial number at all.

Yes, I understand this from the first time. I just want to make clear the thing about serial number because I have two A118C dashcams so I can compare the serial numbers.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi wing0,

We do not have this dashcam at netherland warehouse now. But we will ship the orders out ASAP before Chinese New Year :)

Thanks for your quick reply.
I just placed an order. May order another one in a few hours.
Hope to get them in early March :D

Last edited by a moderator:
the one i just received today from gearbest has gray 3m adhesive. my original a118 also came with gray. clear would be best, followed by black, but gray isn't bad, especially if you're mounting it in the shaded or "dot" area at the top of the windshield.

monoprice.com sells REALLY cheap cables in just about any configuration you can imagine. i bought some 10-ft long usb A to micro-B cables for charging our phones for only $1.20 each. that said, you need to make sure that whatever usb port you plan to use can supply at least 1 amp to the camera, or it probably won't work right. the actual standard for USB says 500mA - half an amp. so many cheap chargers or usb ports on car stereos or in the dashboard only provide that 500mA, which may not run a dashcam properly, and will only slowly charge a smartphone.

I just need a good cable and maybe some alternative adhesive if there's any good one.

My USB port is 1A and 2.1A I believe, from TomTom. The 2.1A is for charging my phones, while the other socket I use was for my VF300W which powered it fine. So I assume it should be able to power the A118C, but need a new cable as I want to hide the cables in the pillars this time instead of it hanging like I previously had it.
m000098947_sc7

Back