A118C or Mini 0805...or other

spyne

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well, after buying a G1W-CB based on being recommended by DCT and getting a lemon I'm faced with the decision of sending back to seller (Australia > USA) or getting estore credit and buying something else from them.
Given the relatively low cost of the G1W-CB in the first place, the cost of shipping it back to everbuying.net seems like a comparitive waste of coin, so I'm thinking it will be better to go with option 2 - getting a refund in store credit so I can buy something else. The question is, what?
So far it seems to come down to the A118C or Mini 0805 - they both cost about 25% more than the G1W-CB, but they both seem to have more positive reviews, although there are still a worrying number of reports of faulty units for both. Stepping up to something like the SG9665GC or even the Mobius C2 is probably stretching the budget at the moment or are either REALLY worth the extra $ over the A118C/0805?

Cheers

The G1W is generally a good camera if bought from a reputable supplier - like most cams, there's shedloads of fake stuff out there. I bought mine as a cheap replacement for a crappy cam then saw the mobius a few days later - then kicked myself.
I have to say, I don't use the G1W that often yet it's holding up really well to being sat in the bottom of my bag - and having all my stuff chucked on it (including a large flask and (when the weather was hot) a 2 litre bottle of iced squash - which I later discovered was dripping condensation everywhere!).
Not sure about the mobius C2 (must go have a look at that one) but my standard mobius costs marginally less than the 0805 (around £5 less!).
I would love the extra resolution of the 0805 over the Mobius but the mobius has a more options for stealth mounting, it's also doing a sterling job so not bothered about replacing it.

I don't know what your laws are like but ours say that a seller has to reimburse a buyer for faulty goods so you shouldn't be out of pocket.

Unfortunately, everything is out the window in terms of what local laws are when you buy from an overseas online store. Australian laws also say that a seller MUST provide a full refund for faulty goods, but because I'm dealing with a US e-store I've got no recourse other than the options they have provided.

So in your experience the Mobius is good value and very reliable?

I have the Mobius A and C2 and both are excellent cameras, wide solid support and very reliable. My SG9665GC is an outstanding camera with great day and night video. Service and support is simply the best.

Unfortunately, everything is out the window in terms of what local laws are when you buy from an overseas online store. Australian laws also say that a seller MUST provide a full refund for faulty goods, but because I'm dealing with a US e-store I've got no recourse other than the options they have provided.

So in your experience the Mobius is good value and very reliable?

I love mine. I did hours of research before I picked it and I'll be honest when I first saw it I thought it would be and feel cheap and I was willing to spend twice as much on something else. However once I read reviews and saw that the video quality is equal or sometimes even better than something twice as much, I got on board. It doesn't feel cheap in the slightest and I imagine the only reason it is cheaper is because it's simple and replacement parts are inexpensive; seems like most of the money is spent on the actual camera which is why you get a good picture.

You'll want to replace the battery with a super capacitor and then hard wire it in, that is if it's going in the car.

From purchase to install it cost me about $180 AUD.

Back