A119/A119S considered reliable cameras?

Lola

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, A119
I see postings on and off site that people seem to love these cameras and at the same time those who think they are not reliable. Amazon has many reviewers who tear it up in purchase reviews and Youtube reviews are generally positive.
I've looked at lots of you tube video reviews/postings but after they get through with your videos one doesn't know what to believe.
I've seen reviews here at DCT where things seem to be a lot more along the way things actually are and I usually agree with what you guys have to say, but I don't usually here a reviewer talk about reliability which would be a 3rd person type response since some don't actually own said cameras.
So my question is just how reliable are these 2 cameras?

Another question that interests me is there any way to adjust the lenses of these cameras or, are they set by design and what you see is what you get?

The original models had a high rate of failure with the GPS mount, using the power cord plugged directly into the camera instead of the gps mount helped but then you lose GPS. there is a V2 that supposedly fixed the issue, but I can't say how reliable V2 is.

What I've learned is that you can never "fully" trust reviews. this forum is the "go-to" place when people have much to say about dashcams, good or bad, and you have to think about things this way:

if 100,000 A119 dashcams have been sold, would ALL 100,000 buyers leave a review? Would ALL 100,000 buyers post their findings on this particular forum?

that pretty much applies to absolutely everything you can buy. and the truth is, many people buy things, are happy with them, and never say a word about them anywhere... so do we really know how "good" something is??

(I drink)

The original models had a high rate of failure with the GPS mount, using the power cord plugged directly into the camera instead of the gps mount helped but then you lose GPS. there is a V2 that supposedly fixed the issue, but I can't say how reliable V2 is.

I read one of your reviews yesterday and liked the way you handled it, you're good!
I read quite a few purchaser posts their (Amazon) about the high rate of failure of the GPS mount because the plug connection started getting to loose (their response). I believe V2 was in the 2017 model.

If you're interested in either of the A119 cameras, long story short; get a V2.

The A119S has been out for over 7 months and has indeed had its share of issues. Finally with the XXXXX bug standing resolved (at least as per the latest firmware's changelog), I don't think there should be any issues with future reliability.

The A119 wasn't affected by the GPS base issue for the longest time, some cases cropped up after the A119S's release, probably a bad batch that was common for both cameras. Nevertheless VIOFO has upgraded the GPS mount for both models.

The lens on the A119S is adjustable up/down and on the A119 it can also be adjusted left/right.

Last edited:
that pretty much applies to absolutely everything you can buy. and the truth is, many people buy things, are happy with them, and never say a word about them anywhere... so do we really know how "good" something is??

most often a happy customer tells nobody, an unhappy customer tells everybody

If you're interested in either of the A119 cameras, long story short; get a V2.

The A119S has been out for over 7 months and has indeed had its share of issues. Finally with the XXXXX bug standing resolved (at least as per the latest firmware's changelog), I don't think there should be any issues with future reliability.

The A119 wasn't affected by the GPS base issue for the longest time, some cases cropped up after the A119S's release, probably a bad batch that was common for both cameras. Nevertheless VIOFO has upgraded the GPS mount for both models.

The lens on the A119S is adjustable up/down and on the A119 it can also be adjusted left/right.

I haven't made up my mind on what I'm going to get for a front camera yet.
As for the lens adjustment, I meant lens adjustment relative to focusing the cameras.

most often a happy customer tells nobody, an unhappy customer tells everybody

Hi jokiin, that's just the way life is, take a guy that says he walks through life with a smile always on his face, but let him stub his toe on that walk and see what flies out of his mouth, Human Nature:D:cool:!

GPS will still function on the V1 models when you power the camera directly.

I haven't made up my mind on what I'm going to get for a front camera yet.
As for the lens adjustment, I meant lens adjustment relative to focusing the cameras.

Focus on M12 lenses can be adjusted. Normally there's some sort of glue between the threads holding the focus in place. Ease or difficulty will depend on the type of glue and the amount used by the manufacturer.

I received a reply from Spy Tek this morning (Sep 12) concerning the A119/A119s and the different issues outlined on Amazon. He said the issues that I was asking about had been fixed. I've heard other people say good things about Spy Tex so I have no reason to doubt him. I've sent inquires like that one to other places (companies) and received a lot of different attitudes from good to downright arrogant, and some don't even reply! They are not all that way though, thank goodness.
Since you review cameras and things I thought you might like to know, therefore the reply.:cool:

I receive a reply from VIOFO this morning concerning, when will the V3 versions of the A119/A119s (It's worth a try) be announced. They spoke in broken english, my best guess is, we are working on it! However, I might have sounded just as strange to them, because they also said they had set me up with an account on their website, not exactly sure what that means. I guess if someone sends me an email wanting a price on a dash camera, I'm in trouble, LOL, or in business.

Back