A119 beeps and errors constantly now

skjoe

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 (2)
Last week my 119 started beeping the format sd card warning. I formated it a bunch of times, I formated it in the computer. Tried a new card, tried formatting with SD Card Formatter, then with Disc Genius in fat32. Tried it powered on in the house from various adapters. All of which didnt help.
So my question is, what next?
Cards are all sandisk 64gb brought from either amazon when i got the cam a few years back or retail big box store.
i did push the factory reset button in there somewhere too.
I just plugged it in at the table here and it ran for almost 4 mins before beeping and showing "Memory Error"
after removing the power and reconnecting its back to saying "format SD card".

@skjoe I know this might sound stupid but try another brand of memory card.

Samsung seems to be a memory card that plays better with Viofo dashcams.

Worst case you have an extra memory card and best case you can keep using your dashcam!

the 32gb lexar that i originally used with it is in now.....
Nope same problem

the 32gb lexar that i originally used with it is in now.....
Nope same problem
Ok. With the sdcards you could also run a test program on them but I usually find they come back ok. h2testw1.4
Check to see if the Dashcam remembers date and time - make sure the GPS is not connected.
If it forgets its date and time it may need the RTC (Real Time Clock) battery replaced. This requires soldering skills.
Pressing the reset usually needs you to also go through the steps of setting the Dashcam up again. Some suggest reinstalling the loader and then updating the Firmware. However this would require your unit to able to read a memory card first.

cheers.

i will download it and see.
the 64gb card had been in there 2 yrs, the second 64gb card was brand new, and the 32gb was the original card i used in the dashcam for a couple of years.
Yes, its keeping time.

the cards checked out ok.
So is it time to throw the camera in the trash?

You can try updating/reloading the firmware, if still no good it's beyond a DIY fix and maybe time to shop for a replacement

the 64gb card had been in there 2 yrs, the second 64gb card was brand new, and the 32gb was the original card i used in the dashcam for a couple of years.

2 yrs with the 32gb + 2 yrs with the 64 = 4 yrs for the Dashcam
I would be extremely happy with a 4 year life span for my 2 VIOFOs ... I expect minimum of 2 yrs with anything over that a bonus. I'm into bonus time on both of mine ... which is good (y)

I second trying to reload firmware, maybe a newer one if you are not on the newest model, this have fixed a other brand camera of mine that somehow painted itself into a corner.

well, oddly i tried taking it apart and didnt do anymore than loosen the screws before i gave up, and now its been recording the kitchen table for 20 mins without a problem.

The other cam (119v2) is a month newer than this one and has never been unplugged (parents car) and is still going, so they can last a good while.

It has whatever firmware it came with out of the box 2.01?

It ran all night and works again. I have no idea what changed lol.

He he thats probably a safe assumption, though assumptions are the mother of all F..kups :)

It ran all night and works again. I have no idea what changed lol.
Take the win and run lol!
As @Skeezix said you might find it comes back by it self.

77 years on this planet have taught me that problems which go away by themselves return by themselves.
Yep. it did. I plug it in once in a while and it lasts from 10 mins to 2 hours before it starts erroring again.
I think its basically junk at this point.

Back