A119... best option for AZ heat and road trip footage?

VideoGoGo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All!

I am new here, but have been all over the forums reading posts from others and watching tons of video footage samples. I think I am ready to pull the trigger on an VIOFO A119 w/GPS for an upcoming ~3200 mile camping trip that revolves all around the eclipse. I wanted to get a dash cam to record some of our trip... and it looks like the resolution of the A119 is a great option for about $100 bucks.

My thought is to keep the cam in the truck afterwards... because... why not? It seems that the A119 does OK in the hotter regions, yes? The truck is generally garaged during the day (work from home)... but that doesn't mean it never sits outside when it's 115 or nearing 120 degrees outside... which means it's REALLY hot inside the truck.

From what I have read... the A119S is better at nighttime footage... but that the A119 still slightly exceeds the A119S in the daytime due to the increased resolution option. Yes? We will be traveling mostly during the daytime for this trip and most of what I would share in any video compilation would be the daytime stuff.

I have a 2012 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 and won't be using a rear camera... at least for now. The back window of the Tundra rolls down all the way... so affixing a rear camera to the rear window is not an option. Furthermore, for any interesting footage for the trip... we'd be looking mostly at a tonneau cover from that rear angle... so really not an ideal viewpoint. (IMHO)

So... are there any other dash cam options that anyone can think of? I read the "Best Dash Cams of 2017" blog post that lists several models... but I think it's outdated. The A119 should probably be listed on the extreme heat option... and it's not. Right??? The two cams that were listed didn't appear to have the video quality I was after. Also... is the VIOFO A119 and the Spy Tec A119 one in the same? (they appear to be... even in Spy Tec videos where VIOFO is printed on the camera body) Other cams that seemed to get my attention were the VicoVation MF1 and DOD TECH LS460W. What wasn't apparent with either of those is hot weather compatibility.

Thoughts?

Current Trip Route: (for now)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zf1n5ni4jb6vs9w/Updated Route 7-28-17.jpg?dl=0

Welcome to DCT. I which you a nice safe drive.

my car doesn't regularly see that sort of temperature but I know my A119 has survived recording while parked in the sun and it hasn't experienced any issues, yet.

viofo is the manufacturer of the camera but spy tec may put their branding on it. it's the same exact camera.

Pulled the trigger on the v.2 A119 today for $99 on AMZ with the GPS Logger. (seller OCD Tronic) Added the CPL for $12.99. (seller Spy Tec) Also picked up some SD micros thanks to a help video in the forum. (REALLY helpful video!)

I ran into the GearBest site today by accident (you know... bunny trail..) and also picked up a Hawkeye Firefly 7S action cam for $66.59. It's not a GoPro... but it looked like decent footage for a great "flash sale" price. We'll see! We should have enough options now for some fun footage on this trip!

Back