A119 - Dash + GPS module, Last file not saved (Corrupted)

kwan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Recently I purchased A119 + GPS module and installed on my car with cigarettes power.

In the last 2 days i've been testing it and found out the last file (video) always not playable or corrupted.

The test I've done are as follows;

Dash plus GPS

1. Setting to 3 mins - not working

2. Res to 1080p 30f and 60f - not working

3. 50hz and 60hz - not working

Only Dash (No GPS Module)

1. setting to 3 mins - working

2. res to 1080p - working

3. 50hz and 60 hz - working.

and also by looking at the LED light when I switch off the car engine, the red light disappear straight away. If it properly record & save the last file, it will blink once and stay red for another 2 - 3 seconds after the engine switch off.

I take the Dash back to room and test with USB power bank and surprise it work both with GPS and Without GPS. I now confused why it suddenly working and today my journey to work took 40 mins and last file not saved.

I appreciate if anyone can guide me through or share your experiences with this last files not saving. I've browse on the forum and seen some user also had the same issues and i've tried all the method i can find in the forum.

Hi all,

Recently I purchased A119 + GPS module and installed on my car with cigarettes power.

In the last 2 days i've been testing it and found out the last file (video) always not playable or corrupted.

The test I've done are as follows;

Dash plus GPS

1. Setting to 3 mins - not working

2. Res to 1080p 30f and 60f - not working

3. 50hz and 60hz - not working

Only Dash (No GPS Module)

1. setting to 3 mins - working

2. res to 1080p - working

3. 50hz and 60 hz - working.

and also by looking at the LED light when I switch off the car engine, the red light disappear straight away. If it properly record & save the last file, it will blink once and stay red for another 2 - 3 seconds after the engine switch off.

I take the Dash back to room and test with USB power bank and surprise it work both with GPS and Without GPS. I now confused why it suddenly working and today my journey to work took 40 mins and last file not saved.

I appreciate if anyone can guide me through or share your experiences with this last files not saving. I've browse on the forum and seen some user also had the same issues and i've tried all the method i can find in the forum.
When connected to the power bank, how are you shutting the camera down? Manually with the power button or simply pulling the USB cable?
There is an issue with some GPS mounts and its connection to the contacts on the camera. Powering through the camera itself fixes the issue and GPS still functions.

It all depends on how (or even if) you shut the camera down before disconnecting it. If you don't switch it off properly and simply remove the camera from it's mount or take the SD card out then for obvious reasons the last file wont get written correctly.

@CaptureYourAction ,

When using USB power Bank for testing purposes I just un-plug the mini-USB from the dash (To simulate the power cut as on car when i turn off the engine). Do you mean if I power the device on the "Right" side of the dash (instead of on the top of GPS module) it still record GPS coordinates and the GPS module still functioning?

@neilmcl ,

Basically i am testing scenario of engine power off by using USB power bank. I un-plug the cable to simulate the power cut like engine is off. I did not press the Power (ON/OFF) from dash before turning the engine off and I think i might do that in future to ensure last file saved. (If i remember to press it before i turn the key off).

@CaptureYourAction ,

When using USB power Bank for testing purposes I just un-plug the mini-USB from the dash (To simulate the power cut as on car when i turn off the engine). Do you mean if I power the device on the "Right" side of the dash (instead of on the top of GPS module) it still record GPS coordinates and the GPS module still functioning?

@neilmcl ,

Basically i am testing scenario of engine power off by using USB power bank. I un-plug the cable to simulate the power cut like engine is off. I did not press the Power (ON/OFF) from dash before turning the engine off and I think i might do that in future to ensure last file saved. (If i remember to press it before i turn the key off).
Yes, when powering the camera via the side miniUSB port on the camera, GPS functions still work.

ok, tested on my journey back. I've 2 stops along the way, both end trip (last files) does not play at all.

Hi, tested again yesterday and today morning.

Settings : -

GPS + Dash = charged from side (Not GPS module)

Second USB outlet from the cigarette to charge phone. (Tried with phone and without phone charging)

Resolution - 1080P 60f

Loop : 3 mins

Weather : Sunny 8 degree

Firmware : 2.02

output :

Long distance - 40 mins plus - Last file corrupted

Short distance - 5 mins - Last file saved

Something strange there and now i think it's the temperature however today is about 8 degree so outside temp is not hot at all.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Are you using the car USB adapter and miniUSB cable that came with the camera?

What memory card are you using?

@CaptureYourAction

I used the cigarette adaptor and mini USB cable that came in the box.

Memory card is Toshiba 64GB Exceria M302 MicroSDXC

Before you were saying that when not plugged in through the GPS, it was operating fine correct? Now it's having this issue with or without the GPS mount?

Two things I can think of to try at the moment is try another USB car adapter. The one included with the camera has been known to not fit properly in certain model cars.

The other thing is to try a different memory card.

hi @CaptureYourAction

test i going to do next is different Adaptor, power bank for long distance, finally will be micro SD card change. will update tomorrow about my findings.

So on these occasion when you check to see if the last file has been saved or not are you disconnecting the camera immediately at journey's end or are you powering off the camera manually?

What car do you have btw. My BMW for example feeds power to the sockets for a few minutes after the car is locked.

Citroen, i did not press the power off, just switch the ignition off.

Might be the car problem but i have tested straight after i switched the ignition off (turn the ignition on again for 5 mins), then it does blink for 3 secs after engine switch off. So, the file was saved on the re-trial. I will do it few more times later to see if it works again.

I use 99.9% a power bank(s) as a power source, no issues with that. just unplug the USB cord, wait for 5-10sec and remove the card . :)

@borik

Thanks, do you charged your Power Bank from car cigarette outlet at the same time as using the Dash from power bank?

This setting is interesting if can charge the power bank and at the same time using it for the dash. So, when I am out of the car it will still be recording (well, switch to detection mode for parking use)

Citroen, i did not press the power off, just switch the ignition off.

Might be the car problem but i have tested straight after i switched the ignition off (turn the ignition on again for 5 mins), then it does blink for 3 secs after engine switch off. So, the file was saved on the re-trial. I will do it few more times later to see if it works again.
Yes but how/when are you checking for the last journey file. Are you removing the camera/sd card straight away after you've turned off the ignition?

@borik

Thanks, do you charged your Power Bank from car cigarette outlet at the same time as using the Dash from power bank?
I don't, makes no sense, but I tried. :eek:I use RavPower and it provides a power for 2 cams for over 33 hours. I don't drive that much. :)

today tested, using Powerbank to power the whole journey (45mins) and results is the same. (Last file not saved properly)

So my assumption now leading to the dashcam hardware for a long journey.

My process at the end of the journey are, turn the ignition off > leave for few seconds (3-5) >take out USB / Dash.

Test had been conducted as the following:

Different test : -
WDR - on or off
3 mins loop
Frequency - 50hz and 60hz
GPS - connected (from top and from side) + without GPS
Original Cigarette adaptor (with both port been used or only one been used)
Different adaptor
used Power output from car and directly from USB power bank

Results : -
All this method and test lead to last file not save properly on long distance.

Only thing I did not try is changing micro USB and use different cable. Will try it tomorrow.

I just unplug USB wires from a power bank and after 5-10sec remove the cards.

Thats what i did today, un-plug USB wire from power bank and removed the dash out after 5 secs.

Back