A119 - Dash + GPS module, Last file not saved (Corrupted)

when I had the last file "corrupted" the SD card would fail soon after.:eek:

My process at the end of the journey are, turn the ignition off > leave for few seconds (3-5) >take out USB / Dash.
Have you tried waiting for at least 3 minutes before disconnecting the USB cable or simply switching the power off the camera, before disconnecting?

What car do you have?

@neilmcl - i've tried wait 3 mins until the next loop and turn off but i prefer to switch off engine straight after.

However, the only solution i've found so far is just turn off the engine and let the last file corrupted. If needed I can go back to dash > View video > and it will repair the corrupted files (Takes a few minutes to repair it - depends on the size of the file)

Yesterday tested :
Powerbank directly power the dash (via Fast charged USB and Normal USB port) - fast charged port works like 50% success rate. Normal USB fail all the time (Long trip > 5 mins)
Changing cable looks to be the same on normal USB port (Powerbank) and Fastcharge port still sometimes works.

Last test i will do is to change the Micro SD card.

Once i finished the test i will update on the first post about that i've done and hopefully someone will find it helpful in the future.

@jokiin LED lights goes out immediately. When i see the light blink and stay for 2-3 secs i know it recorded properly the last files.

That is one of the indicator I check when i switch off the engine / or using powerbank for testing.

in summary,
LED light off immediately = last file not saved correctly
LED blink and stay for 2-3 sec = last file saved properly

@neilmcl - i've tried wait 3 mins until the next loop and turn off but i prefer to switch off engine straight after.
I get that, what I'm asking is have you waited for a period AFTER switching off the engine to disconnect the camera to see if the last file has been saved or not. Also, again, can you tell us what car you have please?

looks like the power / capacitors.
@kwan:
try this: press the "menu" button to bring the camera from the "screen saver" mode, then press and hold the "Rec" button for 3-5 seconds to turn the camera off, and after ~5 seconds more unplug the power from the camera.
is the last file saved correctly?

@borik

Tried your method, hit "Menu" to light the LCD screen and long press "REC" button to turn off.

Result : Last file saved.

Do you think it's something wrong with the capacitor? If it's the faulty capacitor i would likely return for exchange.

Sounds like a defective super capacitor. You'll need a warranty replacement.

@borik
Do you think it's something wrong with the capacitor? If it's the faulty capacitor i would likely return for exchange.
@kwan: I don't know. you might replace the camera and a GPS unit and end up with the same problem.
if there is a problem with the capacitors (if I am not mistaken there are 2 of them in a camera) you would have the last file corrupted all or most of the time. 50/50 or 60/40% doesn't count.
if the capacitors hold the charge but not long enough you would have the corrupted file during short trips not the long ones.
you (may) need a multimeter (like this one) to find out how much current gets to a camera. my 2 cams take up to 0.5A each and during my tests ran from 1A port both without a problem, even when I had both cams connected through a power splitter to a 1A port.
I would set the screen saver to 15sec, power up the camera, and after the screen goes off unplug the power for 15sec. and I would do that a dozen times in a row while counting the power unplugs. then view the video and count the files on SD card. you're missing the consistency of the last file being corrupted - sometimes I get the last file corrupted too but I know there is nothing wrong with my cameras, cables etc. I almost returned my first camera once but managed to find out it was a software (WinXP player) not the hardware problem. and I would do all the tests while connecting a camera to a wall charger or a power bank. in theory you have no idea what's going on in your car wiring.
@jokiin provided a tip earlier on the forum to try to charge the capacitors: you take the camera home and connect it to a wall / phone charger, configure it to run in a "parking mode" + screen saver ON, place it on something soft and cover it, so the camera doesn't record anything but stays UP, and you let the camera to run like this for a day (24hrs).
or just return the camera. :)

@jokiin provided a tip earlier on the forum to try to charge the capacitors: you take the camera home and connect it to a wall / phone charger, configure it to run in a "parking mode" + screen saver ON, place it on something soft and cover it, so the camera doesn't record anything but stays UP, and you let the camera to run like this for a day (24hrs).
or just return the camera. :)

that's to recharge the RTC cell, the capacitors will go from completely empty to full in under 2 minutes, if it's regularly corrupting the last file on shutdown there's a hardware issue and the camera will need to be replaced

my another bad one! :eek:
thanks Jokiin! :)

@jokiin: how would the camera behave if 1 out of 2 capacitors die?

thank you @jokiin , @borik and others. I will do further test in this few days then decided whether to return it or not. I've contacted Viofo support and they suggested return for exchange.

New guy here. I'm finding that the last file saved cannot be played on my PC. I've only had this 119 for a little over a month. For the first few weeks everything played just fine, then I'd get warning beeps and the thing wouldn't record at all. I just shut the car off and might not check the files for a few days.

So far, I'm not particularly impressed with this Viofo A119, despite the positive reviews I had read prior to purchase.

GPS mount, Lexar 633x 64G micro SD card.

New guy here. I'm finding that the last file saved cannot be played on my PC. I've only had this 119 for a little over a month. For the first few weeks everything played just fine, then I'd get warning beeps and the thing wouldn't record at all. I just shut the car off and might not check the files for a few days.

So far, I'm not particularly impressed with this Viofo A119, despite the positive reviews I had read prior to purchase.

GPS mount, Lexar 633x 64G micro SD card.
When you shut off your A119, does the red light on the REC button shut off instantly, or does it remain lit for about4-5 seconds? If it shuts off instantly, you could have a bad capacitor. Also, try playing the corrupts files on the A119 itself, as the camera can usually fix these corrupt files.

Strangely, I just noticed that video shot hand held, using a power pack, while investigation this issue does play the last file correctly. The red led does stay lit for a moment when disconnected from the power. The files recorded in the car from yesterday, for example, will not play the last file when the car was shut off. I've tried playing the files both with the sad card in the camera and in the laptop.

I'm concerned that if the last file recorded when the car is shut off fails to play, I may lose any evidence in the case of an incident, negating the purpose of having a dash cam.

Back