A119 GPS Module Modification

BCHobbyist

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A139 3Camera A129Duo-8WL A129Pro-4K A119V3 A119S-6Vk DCTeam
This DIY project will eliminate many of the issues with the current VIOFO GPS Module.
See the before and after road footage.
contact me if interested: GPSmodTape@gmail.com

VIOFO A119 Dashcam - GPS Module MOD
// timeline // 0:09 identify unstable mount // 1:05 before & after footage //
// 1:58 GPS mod step 1 // 2:20 GPS mod step 4 // 2:34 GPS mod step 6 //
// 3:20 attach dashcam // 4:12 material required //

Last edited:
This quick DIY fix should help many as it wedges the camera on nice and tight to reduce wobble. It's not clear what type of tape you're using exactly though. You said it was some type of uncommon/rare heat resistant stuff you have. You wouldn't want to use electrical tape of course since it would turn into a goo'y mess.

8CU38x3.png

wm0KvcJ.png

This tape isn't commonly used for anything but heat related electrical applications ranging from 32F to 230F (0C to 100C). In colder temps its still holds but won't re-stick as well. It's only 0.15 to 0.17 mm thick thus the many layers required. Many techs and repair shops use it but don't know of its many other applications. Tape to avoid are any that soften in direct sun such as electrical or masking or duct. I'm just surprised no one else in the industry suggested its use here. I'm waiting for an email before releasing the product name.

appreciate you sharing the name of the tape when you can

Looks like 3M Velcro or something similar from the 3M product line (maybe transformer tape?)

I also fixed the GPS module issue I had by cutting a small piece of cardboard from a cereal box

I then wedged the small cardboard shim between the GPS module and camera, and it provides the perfect tension to fix the issue.

With the cardboard shim I don't have to worry about the gold pressure contacts being damaged by melting tape or adhesive.

The shim can be cut to the appropriate size which maintains the "stock" look of the camera. (no adhesive or tape)

I have been using the cardboard shim method for a while now, no issue.

Last edited:
the GPS Module Modification Tape used is called: Black Acetate Cloth Adhesive Tape (made by 3M)

hopefully the next GPS Module won't require user modification.
even if you side cardboard in that gap, you've improved the stability and therefor the image quality.
enjoy your A119 DIY Project

Finally. Finally It stopped knocking image due to high bass sound from Radio. Thank you.

Finally. Finally It stopped knocking image due to high bass sound from Radio. Thank you.

Glad you can enjoy both your Music and A119 Dashcam. Such a simple fix that shouldn't be needed but is.

I use heat resistant tape so the glue doesn't soften in direct sun. Just glad to put some much needed focus on the flawed mount design.
Anything you use to stabilize the dashcam is an improvement, plus its a fun DIY.

dnlz5e.jpg

note: heat resistant tape beside the larger thicker velcro squares

Could you give the measurements of the tape parts you used? (preferably in cm. ;))

there are many variations on my DIY, demonstrated only one. Using the same layer method you can apply it to the camera base near pedestal clip grip but would be too close to gold pin contacts. Could also use narrower Tape segments half the width but I found the sizes I used easier to handle and apply. This isn't the only way or even the best way, just a simple long lasting fix for a flawed mount design.

GPS Module Modification Tape used is called: Black Acetate Cloth Adhesive Tape (made by 3M)
10 mm wide
0.13-0.17 mm thin
segment sizes 6 / 10 / 14 / 18 / 22 / 26 mm (test fit dashcam after 4 segments applied to both sides, could stop at 4 or 5, 6 is stiff and allows for compression and future wear)
apply segments either from GPS Module plastic side-seam then wrap under corner, or start under corner and wrap towards side-seam. Must get all the layers even under that corner lip to fill the gap shown in my video.

good luck on your DIY Project.

GPS Module Modification Tape used is called: Black Acetate Cloth Adhesive Tape (made by 3M)
10 mm wide
0.13-0.17 mm thin
segment sizes 6 / 10 / 14 / 18 / 22 / 26 mm (test fit dashcam after 4 segments applied to both sides, could stop at 4 or 5, 6 is stiff and allows for compression and future wear)
apply segments either from GPS Module plastic side-seam then wrap under corner, or start under corner and wrap towards side-seam. Must get all the layers even under that corner lip to fill the gap shown in my video.

good luck on your DIY Project.

Thanks I will use these sizes when I get the tape, I ordered 2 rolls of 6mm and 8mm from eBay. It will take some weeks until it arrives. I will let you know the results

I've used a piece of rubber canvas, one for each side, it seems to be working well.

excellent fix, anything to reduce the gap and stop plastic on plastic vibration will work. take some photos and share your solution.

Thanks I will use these sizes when I get the tape, I ordered 2 rolls of 6mm and 8mm from eBay. It will take some weeks until it arrives. I will let you know the results

that tape is useful for many other projects in your computer, gadgets and vehicle. The 6mm will work on the non-GPS mount, just really hard to hold and apply being so small.

I have temporary shoved a tie-rip from the bottom to the top on the outside of the GPS-mount on both sides. It now make a tight fit so it should hold until the tape arrives.
It greatly improves the picture quality especially on the cobblestone roads.

I have used some Velcro and electrical tape to secure the Camera-Mount Interface. It is posted on the thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a119-s-gps-mount-rocking-easy-fix.28510/

after revealing the vibrating mount issue it's great to see all the different ways owners have improved the stability on their A119 & A119S dashcams,
however, during sunny summer days the heat inside your vehicle will reach over 120 F / 50 C causing adhesive to soften and run. (electrical tape & velcro are worst)
I hope someone tested that new EVA Pad adhesive for extreme heat conditions.

If it's the same 9448A from 3M that SG uses, it won't budge once stuck and being 3M; messy adhesive isn't something to worry about.

This is the second scorching summer the pad on the GC's mount is seeing, no issues whatsoever.

Back