A119 Hot weather survivability

mpcp

Reaction score
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
I know this model has a capacitor instead of a battery which means that it should stand up to high temperatures better than one with a battery.

I am looking at this camera to purchase to leave up in car at all times. However, where I live it can get quite hot and the camera would be exposed to direct sunlight. The daytime outside temperatures are in the range of 25-40C. With air temperatures inside the car being probably at least +20C hotter than outside, and dashboard temperatures in direct sunlight being as high as 90C. So I imagine the camera in direct sunlight could potentially get as hot as the dashboard. These temperatures are with the camera off. If one was to jump in the car at this point and drive off with the AC on, the camera would be operating at 93C and getting hotter before being cooled by the AC.

I guess I could try to protect the camera with a reflective sun shade which would reduce the temperaure down from 93.

Does anyone have any experience of using the A119 in such a situation,
(a) was there any loss in the image quality, ,
(b) has the camera continued to work?
(c) or has it failed and how long did it take to die?.

Thank you

The A119 is advertised to work up to 60° C. I doubt in-cabin temperatures will reach 90° C but would recommend one to remove the camera from the vehicle when parked during extreme weather conditions.

During short time working in high temp. nothing should happen to it. Within 5min AC will cool down car inner temp. and you should be safe then.

The A119 is advertised to work up to 60° C. I doubt in-cabin temperatures will reach 90° C but would recommend one to remove the camera from the vehicle when parked during extreme weather conditions.
The air temp isn't 90, the surface temps of stuff like the dash - I don't have proof of that. Guy did an experiment on youtube about temps in the car in direct sunlight and got in car air temp of 60 but dashboard temp in direct sunlight of 90. That was what I used as a ref as I haven't measured it myself. But our outside temps our comparable.

don't underestimate how hot it gets inside the car when parked, here's a practical demonstration

1.5h and meat is over-cooked ?!

don't underestimate how hot it gets inside the car when parked, here's a practical demonstration

Excellent find.. That is air temp of 70C. But that piece of meat was in direct sunlight for part of the time which would have made it hotter.

See the link below..this is the YouTube video I was referring..go to 1:30 where he talks air temps and then talks about surface temps. He is using measurement devices. The only thing that is not clear is the outside temps.

Don't forget that the dashcam is on the windshield, and will receive direct sunlight. The fact that dashcams generally are black means it absorbs more heat as well.

Here's an example I took in Florida on a hot day, about 35C ambient temperature. I used the same kind of IR thermometer to take these temps. The dashcam measured 71C.

14 JUL 16 at about 1635
Hood (Outside of car) 64C
Dash (Inside, and I use a sunshade) 64C
Vico Vation BDP 53C (IR read 53C)
Dashcam 71C (temp taken near SD card slot)

I'm in Houston, TX (about 29 degrees north of the equator), and i haven't had any heat issue with my a119. my truck sits outside all day - not in a garage, no shade. no sunshade either! yes, the camera is partly behind the blue/dotted area at the top of the windshield, but that's not really any protection.

I'm in Houston, TX (about 29 degrees north of the equator), and i haven't had any heat issue with my a119. my truck sits outside all day - not in a garage, no shade. no sunshade either! yes, the camera is partly behind the blue/dotted area at the top of the windshield, but that's not really any protection.

Thanks, this is the sort of information I am glad to hear.

Back