A119 left-right lens rotation - is it really needed?

beyondthesun

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hello,

Is it really necessary for A119 dash cam to have left-right lens rotation? I'm asking because the left-right lens lock mechanism failed again.. Videos are shaky because of that.. again.. A119S doesn't have left-right lens rotation, why not do it like the A119s.. Yeah I know, a piece of duct tape solves the problem.. Nah. It doesn't solve anything.. Because the problem still EXISTS if you remove the damm tape.. :( So my question, Viofo, is.. Are you going to reshape the casing to get rid of this bug?

edit: i really love A119, but this bug is driving me mad..

Plus, if you have a CPL filter it's useless. Is not sufficient space between the lens and the filter for rotation completely.

yup, i read this topic.. sorry, but dunno what exactly U wanted to show me.. this isnt the first time something like dat happens to me.. i have my first A119 dash cam replaced under the warranty because of this bug.. so i should make a complaint again? have it replaced again and doing it like.. forever? i was just wondering if this left/right rotation was really needed.. i would buy another A119 if they got rid of horizontal rotation.. it is needless in my opinion..

Plus, if you have a CPL filter it's useless. Is not sufficient space between the lens and the filter for rotation completely.

yup, thatz why Viofo should get rid of this stupid horizontal rotation in A119 like they did with the A119S model..

I like the left/right adjustment feature, very useful to get a centred view for off-centre installs.

What's needed is a better click mechanism for both the up/down and left/right movement. Clicks need to be shorter and ideally there shouldn't be any free movement between the clicks.

Also a new CPL that works regardless of where the lens is pointing. I'd suggest a modified version of the one available from 'estore', instead of adhesive use notches/clips on the front.

What's needed is a better click mechanism for both the up/down and left/right movement. Clicks need to be shorter and ideally there shouldn't be any free movement between the clicks.

yeah, im cool with that! they could keep the left/right rotation but only if they improved the mechanism.. and, hopefully, maybe they do. by the way, do you have the same problem with loose lens?

yeah, im cool with that! they could keep the left/right rotation but only if they improve the mechanism.. and, hopefully, maybe they do. by the way, do you have the same problem with loose lens?

Mine's been in use for just two weeks, the lens doesn't move on its own or vibrate.

i fortunately haven't had any issues with either of mine (V.1 and V.2). the V.1 has been in service since july 2016 in my daily driver.

yup, i read this topic.. sorry, but dunno what exactly U wanted to show me.. this isnt the first time something like dat happens to me.. i have my first A119 dash cam replaced under the warranty because of this bug.. so i should make a complaint again? have it replaced again and doing it like.. forever? i was just wondering if this left/right rotation was really needed.. i would buy another A119 if they got rid of horizontal rotation.. it is needless in my opinion..

yup, thatz why Viofo should get rid of this stupid horizontal rotation in A119 like they did with the A119S model..
I thought you were looking for a dyi solution. At the bottom of that thread is one solution.

I like the left/right adjustment feature, very useful to get a centred view for off-centre installs.

Also a new CPL that works regardless of where the lens is pointing. I'd suggest a modified version of the one available from 'estore', instead of adhesive use notches/clips on the front.

+1 ;) Adjustability means nothing if your only choices are too much or too little :oops: I haven't used any wedge cams yet myself for other reasons mostly, but because of things like this the design is more limited than it seems :( It can be overcome with some DIY but really, that should not have to happen. No cam will ever be perfect but that doesn't mean that no efforts at betterment are worth making.

Phil

i fortunately haven't had any issues with either of mine (V.1 and V.2). the V.1 has been in service since july 2016 in my daily driver.
i can second that. my pre-production a119 has been in use since like feb or march 2016 and the only "issue" is that the metal ring around the lens has faded from the sun - now it's a kind of dark copper color instead of black.

but yes, the left/right adjustment is highly desirable in cars like the honda civic where the wipers don't clear the area in front of the mirror, so you have to mount it off to one side, where the windshield is curved to the side, and you need the left/right adjustment to compensate for it.

if it really bothers you, there are some DIY solutions in that other thread. just DO NOT use super/krazy/gorilla-glue or any other glue with cyano-acrylate in it - it will permanently haze the lens from the fumes.

I live in a jurisdiction that requires a yearly vehicle inspection sticker which is mounted directly behind the rear view mirror directly in the middle of the windscreen in the traditional dash cam "sweet spot". So for me, I've always had to mount cameras off to one side or the other by several inches. For this reason I'm always happy when a manufacturer like @viofo designs a camera that can be aimed laterally.

The easiest solution to securing a loose lens module housing is to use a small wad of Blu-Tak. This method is useful because it won't harm the camera in any way and allows for future re-adjustments if necessary. Of course, this method also works if the up-down click-stop spring also fails on you.

The easiest solution to securing a loose lens module housing is to use a small wad of Blu-Tak. This method is useful because it won't harm the camera in any way and allows for future re-adjustments if necessary. Of course, this method also works if the up-down click-stop spring also fails on you.

I am not really sure if this is the best sollution ;) i have read on Wikipedia that blu-tak emits toxic gases when exposed 2 high temperatures.. now think about all that heat inside your car on a warm, sunny day.. anyway, just wondering why they rearranged the design and decided to drop the left-right adjustment feature in A119S..

I am not really sure if this is the best sollution ;) i have read on Wikipedia that blu-tak emits toxic gases when exposed 2 high temperatures.. now think about all that heat inside your car on a warm, sunny day.. anyway, just wondering why they rearranged the design and decided to drop the left-right adjustment feature in A119S..

What "toxic gases"? While it is true that Blu-tak can release some carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide if it burns or is under "high" temperatures such temperatures are unlikely in the average motor vehicle and even if it were to emit carbon monoxide the amount that would be released from a tiny wad of the stuff would be completely negligible. You would likely be exposed to more carbon monoxide just driving around in traffic.

such a shame the lens in A119 aint big enough then.. if A119S gets improve even a little i will buy it.. im tired of this bug.. this is my second A119 camera, and after 5 months it happens again..

Back