A119 Mini 2 Test & Review PP

I wanted to check lens focus, and FOV of the Mini 2.
Nice job on the tests.
I did not understand how you checked the defocus, you have only one "hot" frame, you need the first "cold" one
How to check of focus:
Put a cold VR to record a static picture, after 30 minutes. video recording, compare the first cold freeze frame and the last hot one, if the focus floats, it will be visible.

To me it look a little as if the A139pro are allowed to run a bit higher ISO
Do you think it has anything to do with the recording bitrate also? The A139 Pro is 59Mbps, and the Mini 2 is only 30Mbps.
The winers,,,,, store
Whenever I think of Wienerschnitzel I think of Schnitzengruben. lol

I did not understand how you checked the defocus, you have only one "hot" frame, you need the first "cold" one
Hello, thanks for stopping in.
I checked the focus of each camera by sending the original raw video file to @rcg530 to analyze. lol
-Chuck

I took some preliminary power consumption measurements of the Mini 2 to see how it compares with the original Mini. Right now there is some speculation / ambiguity if the Mini 2 has implemented a very aggressive variable recording bitrate in normal recording mode, even though the bitrate setting is set to the highest level, (HIGH). This reduction in bitrate varies wildly from around 6Mbps to 30Mbps depending on lighting conditions, and movement in the scene. This results in 1 minute video file sizes to vary from around 40MB to 218MB. Thas may also impact the camera’s power consumption. When I took these measurements I made very effort to maintain identical test conditions for the Mini 2, and original Mini. So as far as the comparison of the two cameras, it should be a fair comparison. The real proof in the pudding will come when @rcg530 performs his full battery of power consumption tests, and publishes his industry leading color coded spreadsheet. I’m sure he’s furiously working on this issue, so it will be interesting to compare my measurements with his. That’s always exciting because we have identical; power supply units, and near identical Fluke Multimeters for precision accuracy, (I have a 115, he has a 117).

Mini - Firmware V1.1 20221017
Normal Recording Mode, 2K60fps, Highest Bitrate, Screen Off, Wi-Fi Off
266mA @ 12.60V = 3.35 Watts
Normal Rec, Wi-Fi Off, Screen Off, 2K30fps (HDR On)
222mA @ 12.60 = 2.80 Watts
Low Bitrate Parking Mode, Screen Off, Wi-Fi Off
193mA @ 12.60V = 2.43 Watts

Mini 2 - Firmware V1.0 20230423
Normal Recording Mode, 2K60fps, Highest Bitrate, Screen Off, Wi-Fi Off
267mA @ 12.60V = 3.36 Watts
Normal Rec, Wi-Fi Off, Screen Off, 2K30fps (HDR On)
218mA @ 12.60 = 2.75 Watts
Low Bitrate Parking Mode, Screen Off, Wi-Fi Off
183mA @ 12.60V = 2.31 Watts

For the most part power consumption looks almost the same.

1 .jpg

Last edited:
Can I see the same 119mini V2?
I'm not sure what you are asking.
Are you asking me to send you the original raw video footage from the A119 Mini 2?
-Chuck

I wanted to check how fast the Mini 2 is at downloading a 1 minute clip to my iPhone SE 2020 using both 2.4GHz & 5GHz Wi-Fi bands.
And also compare with the original Mini.
The maximum file size for a 1 minute clip for both cameras is around 218MB.

Mini
2.4GHz = 53 Seconds
5GHz = 20 Seconds

Mini 2
2.4GHz = 57 Seconds
5GHz = 20 Seconds

File Size .png

Its true,,,,,, its true. :)

Sheriff Bart must be a expert eater cuz i would never get to 15 Schnitzengrubens.

OK, I just filmed a new focus check video few minutes ago, (Mini, Mini 2, A139 Pro).
Send me an email, and I'll send you the link to my google drive.
-Chuck

The real proof in the pudding will come when @rcg530 performs his full battery of power consumption tests, and publishes his industry leading color coded spreadsheet. I’m sure he’s furiously working on this issue, so it will be interesting to compare my measurements with his.
Hi Chuck, I'm going to hold off running my power consumption tests for the A119 Mini 2. There was a mention with the v1.0_20230509 test firmware that VIOFO may update the A119 Mini 2 firmware to change the video bitrate to constant bitrate video vs the varying bitrate video that it's now producing.

One of my reported issues was fixed in the A119 Mini 2's firmware setting screen for the Wi-Fi channel frequency. The original v1.0_20230423 firmware listed 2.4 GHz, 5.2 GHz and 5.8 GHz. In my report to VIOFO I mentioned the "5.2 GHz" entry may confuse some users that are more familiar with that entry being named "5 GHz" rather than "5.2 GHz". I confirmed that the v1.0_20230509 test firmware has been updated to present options 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 5.8 GHz.

VIOFO may update the A119 Mini 2 firmware to change the video bitrate to constant bitrate video vs the varying bitrate video that it's now producing
What are the Pros & Cons of having a Variable recording bitrate in the first place instead of a constant recording bitrate?
Is it just a measure to conserve on SD memory card space?

One of my reported issues was fixed in the A119 Mini 2's firmware setting screen for the Wi-Fi channel frequency. The original v1.0_20230423 firmware listed 2.4 GHz, 5.2 GHz and 5.8 GHz. In my report to VIOFO I mentioned the "5.2 GHz" entry may confuse some users that are more familiar with that entry being named "5 GHz" rather than "5.2 GHz". I confirmed that the v1.0_20230509 test firmware has been updated to present options 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 5.8 GHz.
I just confirmed with my Mini 2 the new 0509 firmware now says 5 GHz instead of 5.2 GHz.
But guess what, I just checked my original Mini with the recent firmware 0420 and it now says 5.2 GHz instead of 5 GHz Wi-Fi.
One step forward, one step back. lol

What are the Pros & Cons of having a Variable recording bitrate in the first place instead of a constant recording bitrate?
Is it just a measure to conserve on SD memory card space?
Variable bitrate (VBR) content can reduce the amount of video content that's written to the video stream within the video file. That may also reduce the amount of heat generated when there's less to write to the microSD card. It's been a long time since I worked in the Oracle Video Server division at Oracle (late 1990s) so I don't remember all of the pluses/minuses for VBR content. :unsure:

Viofo mini 2 has 1-2 ° more than the normal mini.
Mini 2 is brighter than the normal mini, although the sensors are different f 1.8 vs f 1.6 at the same resolution.
If you have noticed, the colors are rendered more beautifully on the mini normal than on the mini 2. Because the mini 2 is brighter, sotware, the colors are more whitish. As it happens with some phones, instead of being red, it is orange.
I don't like the A139 because it has too big an image angle and the image curves and the subject looks further.
They think they released a new version because some people complained that it has a high temperature.
I haven't seen video tests with her at work yet, let's see how she handles traffic, how she "observes" license plates at night.
For now, I would still go with mini normal, because it reproduces more real colors and where there is no light, you can see pure black. On the other hand, the mini 2 from software forces the image to be brighter than it should be. You took a picture at night and on the normal mini it was pure black, instead on the mini 2 the image was bluish.

Viofo mini 2 has 1-2 ° more than the normal mini.
Mini 2 is brighter than the normal mini, although the sensors are different f 1.8 vs f 1.6 at the same resolution.
If you have noticed, the colors are rendered more beautifully on the mini normal than on the mini 2. Because the mini 2 is brighter, sotware, the colors are more whitish. As it happens with some phones, instead of being red, it is orange.
I don't like the A139 because it has too big an image angle and the image curves and the subject looks further.
They think they released a new version because some people complained that it has a high temperature.
I haven't seen video tests with her at work yet, let's see how she handles traffic, how she "observes" license plates at night.
For now, I would still go with mini normal, because it reproduces more real colors and where there is no light, you can see pure black. On the other hand, the mini 2 from software forces the image to be brighter than it should be. You took a picture at night and on the normal mini it was pure black, instead on the mini 2 the image was bluish.
Neither the normal mini nor the mini 2 are perfect cameras, each has pluses and minuses.
The balance is 60% for the normal mini and 40% for the mini 2. The mini 2, because it has a brighter sensor, tends to make objects more whitish. We are also waiting for traffic clips with them at work.

I watched some clips of the new mini 2, both day and night, and yes, it does see all license plates.
It is what is needed. Indeed, with a car camera it is important to film the incidents and the registration numbers.

The next four posts will be of these Gas Station price signs.

The original Mini does the best at reading individual digits, but everything else not illuminated is very dark. You can’t even see the road in the background. The Mini 2 looks pretty darn good. And the A139 pro is overall the brightest, but looks a bit hazy.
How do these three cameras fare on a stationary dimly lit scene with few bright highlights, such as a parking lot? I'm currently evaluating a low light camera that out-performs my A139 Pro for parking mode or surveillance in very low light.

Back