A119 Mini Test & Review PP

Hey guys,
I’m pleased to announce my first dash cam review here on the esteemed board of DCT, (VIOFO A119 Mini). Ever since I was a little boy back in February 2020 when I got my very first dash cam, (A129 Pro) I grew up watching fantastic reviews from our dearly departed ”Wham Bam Andrew Lam” (Car Cam Central), and current Industry Czars like Ari (Vortex Radar), and Joseph (BlackboxMyCar). These gentlemen really got me interested in dash cams, and gently guided my age of innocence.

Today, two years later I consider myself a slightly more informed bumbling amateur who knows just enough to embarrass himself on camera. There’s a handful of times in the video I forget, get nervous, can’t find the correct words, and I start to ramble false & misleading nonsense. I was hoping you could all stop by with some heavy handed criticism, and let me know everything I’m doing wrong. I really would like to improve. The Dalai Lama once said; “A smart man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others. And if you teach him to fish, you’ll never see him on weekends again”.
-Chuck

Is YT the answer ?

I always prefer to download a raw file to play on a PC as I think YT does degrade the footage.

What is the Mini default fps ?

From my testing on the V3, 60fps certainly looks good as a video but degrades freeze frames. I now stick to 30fps, high bitrate, 2560x1440, no HDR.

I also never remove the card as the V3 is so easy to remove/lift off and use the dashcam as a card reader.

Right on K,
Thank you for the sample clip.
This is amazing.
I had no problem reading all the plates.

0:10 C AX 2312
-
0:21 FG HM 175
-
0:26 C ES 600E
-
0:31 FG LF 254
-
0:44 L UN 8169
-
0:52 C RP 012
-
Btw, I’m watching the video on a $150 Chromebook connected via HDMI cable to a 1360x768p 32” Samsung TV from 2010. lol
-Chuck

Prior to this model, A119v3 also read numbers at night. Video and screenshots can be seen in the A119v3 topic.
Comparison with A119 V3 would be nice :)
A129 Plus and A139 also has HDR and can read numbers at night, but so far A119 V3 has the best quality.

That's a bigger difference between the Mini and the V3 than I expected! There's an aspect ratio squeezing the Mini image, but the exposure times seem to be different. The Mini looks a lot sharper, even though I think the HDR does nothing but add gray smudges over details.

Check out that last parked car in particular (Mini left, V3 right):

Screenshot_2022-07-19_17.45.17.pngScreenshot_2022-07-19_17.47.24.png

That's a bigger difference between the Mini and the V3 than I expected! There's an aspect ratio squeezing the Mini image, but the exposure times seem to be different. The Mini looks a lot sharper, even though I think the HDR does nothing but add gray smudges over details.

Check out that last parked car in particular (Mini left, V3 right):

View attachment 61111View attachment 61112
Something with firmware. :unsure:
Here are the properties of the files from these videos.
2022-07-19_17-55-05.png

Last edited:
Comparison with A119 V3 would be nice :)
A129 Plus and A139 also has HDR and can read numbers at night, but so far A119 V3 has the best quality.
I only have the A119 V1 with OV4689 and the difference in sharpness when turning corners at night is stark.

see in particular 6:24 - 6:30. Edit: I don't even think HDR was on for this.

A119 Mini - Rear Channel

I gave my A119 Mini a semi-permanent home on my rear window.
I really prefer the 140° FOV over the 160° FOV of the A229 REAR Camera.
It’s also nice to have the option to snap on a CPL Filter for daytime filming.
I also like the option to run 60fps vs. the 30fps of the A229.
Test Footage Settings;
2K60fps (2560 x 1440)
Bitrate: High
WDR: OFF
CPL Filter: OFF
Moon Phase: Waxing Crescent 3.9%
Test Vehicle;
2004 Ford Crown Victoria
All original window glass, (rock chips, and all).
No window tint.
Here’s a test clip during night time;

Where can I see the video of this trip from the rear camera of the A229?
Right on K,
You are so impatient.
I wasn't planning to upload my A229 test footage untill tomorrow.
I ask you to hurry up, and wait.
Just kidding. lol
Here you go;

Moon Phase: Waxing Crescent 3.9%
Excellent detail :cool:

I think the A229 won, on field of view and audio quality. I prefer to be able to see more at the sides.

Back