A119 Mini - Review / Testing

I dont think it have one / or lets say i have never looked for one.

I dont think it have one / or lets say i have never looked for one.
It will have a compass too, to line things up with other buildings, and an inclinometer to get the angles right, and then there is the laser level app...

There is a compass in my phone, though i have never needed it, unlike my friend with 0 directional awareness i can find my way home in a pitch black forest.

Internal Microphone Audio Level Test

In my Vantrue E1 dash camera thread, I posted a link to a YouTube video with some sample video footage and a quick audio test of four dash cameras (Vantrue E1, VIOFO A119 Mini, VIOFO A229 Duo, VIOFO T130). The A119 Mini audio was at a very low volume. The Vantrue E1 was at a very high volume (almost to the point of being clipped).

My Vantrue E1 - Audio Level Post

Audio Test 2

I uploaded audio from Epidemic Sound music subscription to my iPhone. This is audio I can use in my YouTube videos to avoid a copyright claim on my videos. I had the dash cameras operating in normal mode and while vehicle was stationary (in my garage and with the HVAC blow motor off), I played one of the Epidemic Sound sound tracks over my car's audio system. I set the audio level output from the car radio (Chevy MyLink radio head unit) to a level of 13 (not super quiet, not ear drum piercing, at a normal listening level).

I downloaded the video files from all four dash cameras and imported them into Adobe Premiere Pro so I could examine the mono audio tracks created by each dash camera.

Here are the status lines from all four cameras showing their time clock values are within 2 seconds of other dash cameras in the test.

20220802_statustext_e1_a119mini_a229duo_t130.png

The next two screen shots are of the four audio tracks dB levels (1st pic = full sample, 2nd pic = one example of one of the peaks).

20220802_audiotracks_e1_a119mini_a229duo_t130.png 20220802_audio_meter_e1_a119mini_a229duo_t130.png

The Vantrue E1 has firmware VT-EBG311 that was released on 01-Aug-2022. The VIOFO A119 Mini is running a test firmware version of V1.0_0714 which was to have optimized the audio recording level. The A119 Mini's audio level is very low. The A119 Mini's recording level is actually an improvement over the V1.0_0621 firmware, but nowhere near where it needs to be for the dash camera. The VIOFO A229 Duo and VIOFO T130 have very similar audio recording levels.

The audio levels shown in the second pic show a wide variance in the audio track dB levels.

-10.7 dB - Vantrue E1
-37.9 dB - VIOFO A119 Mini
-22.9 dB - VIOFO A229 Duo Front
-21.3 dB - VIOFO T130-3ch Front

Audio Test Results - In My Opinion

Vantrue E1 - Volume is too loud
VIOFO A119 Mini - Volume is well below where it needs to be
VIOFO A229 Duo - Volume is "just right".
VIOFO T130 - Volume is "just right".

I've reported my findings to both Vantrue and VIOFO.

I couldn’t find the new firmware this morning but. All I saw on the Vantrue site was the update from 7/27

In the upper part of the cooling radiator, a Wi-Fi module plate is glued inside, it can significantly block the ventilation inside the case.
I checked this part, it is a false panel without holes, and it was probably not bad make holes for ventilation too.
Perhaps Viofo's engineers will consider this issue.

Attachments

• Безымянный.jpg
    Безымянный.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 20
A119 Mini Low Audio Volume

The A119 Mini's audio track volume has been a problem with all three of the A119 Mini dash cameras that I've tested. I received a test firmware in mid-July that "optimized" the audio volume as much as possible in the firmware. The audio volume improved by only a very small amount. The announcements generated by the A119 Mini are recorded at a decent volume, but any sound present in the vehicle was recorded with a very low/faint volume.

It appears the final solution to this will be a hardware change related to the microphone in the A119 Mini. The next production batch will have an "optimized microphone".

Awww man, what a bummer.
I guess the good news is, it will at least get fixed in future production units.
I'm one of those people that believes audio quality is truly 50% of the game, and just as important as video quality.
In movies, youtube videos, dash cam footage, just about everything.

I'd even be willing to take apart my A119 Mini, and replace the microphone with new optimized one if it becomes available.
Is is OK to complain about a "free item" I received. lol

That remimds me I need to test the audio on the Vantrue E1.
I haven't gathered any on road test footage yet.
I'm still testing its functionality, and what not.
I need to remove my A119 Mini from my rear window, and relocate it to the front next to the E1, so I can compare the audio / video side by side.
Testing these dash cams is a lot of work, but I have to admit I'm having a blast. lol
-Chuck

Awww man, what a bummer.
I guess the good news is, it will at least get fixed in future production units.
I'm one of those people that believes audio quality is truly 50% of the game, and just as important as video quality.
In movies, youtube videos, dash cam footage, just about everything.

I'd even be willing to take apart my A119 Mini, and replace the microphone with new optimized one if it becomes available.
Is is OK to complain about a "free item" I received. lol
I have no idea exactly what is meant by having an "optimized microphone". That could be a different microphone or placing the current microphone in a different location. :unsure:

That remimds me I need to test the audio on the Vantrue E1.
I haven't gathered any on road test footage yet.
I'm still testing its functionality, and what not.
Both of the Vantrue E1 test units I've tested have a VERY LOUD audio volume. The recording level at times is so high it can clip the audio. Most of the audio is just MUCH LOUDER than other dash cameras. The A119 Mini's audio volume is at a whisper level (except for the announcements from the A119 Mini) while the Vantrue E1's audio volume is like someone shouting through a megaphone. The audio volume for VIOFO A229 Duo and VIOFO T130-3CH are "just right".

Has anyone opened up the A119 mini to see where the mic is?
From the FCC pictures it looks like the microphone is mounted on the case on the left side (looking from the back of the camera). The second arrow points to the M+/M- connection points on the circuit board.

1660589986965.png

The A119 Mini's audio volume is at a whisper level (except for the announcements from the A119 Mini)

When first introduced the A119 V3 had the same issue, although I wouldn't quite characterized it as a whisper the audio level was way too low. I experienced it with two early units. The issue was eventually remedied with a firmware update.

When first introduced the A119 V3 had the same issue, although I wouldn't quite characterized it as a whisper the audio level was way too low. I experienced it with two early units. The issue was eventually remedied with a firmware update.
If I recall correctly, the early units had the mic taped to the capacitors. They eventually moved it to the side, taped in front of the vents. Seems that's were it is on the Mini now, so I'm surprised it's that low.

Edit… I do recall tweaking of the A119V3 firmware to help the audio as well.

Last edited:
Internal Microphone Audio Level Test

In my Vantrue E1 dash camera thread, I posted a link to a YouTube video with some sample video footage and a quick audio test of four dash cameras (Vantrue E1, VIOFO A119 Mini, VIOFO A229 Duo, VIOFO T130). The A119 Mini audio was at a very low volume. The Vantrue E1 was at a very high volume (almost to the point of being clipped).

My Vantrue E1 - Audio Level Post

Audio Test 2

I uploaded audio from Epidemic Sound music subscription to my iPhone. This is audio I can use in my YouTube videos to avoid a copyright claim on my videos. I had the dash cameras operating in normal mode and while vehicle was stationary (in my garage and with the HVAC blow motor off), I played one of the Epidemic Sound sound tracks over my car's audio system. I set the audio level output from the car radio (Chevy MyLink radio head unit) to a level of 13 (not super quiet, not ear drum piercing, at a normal listening level).

I downloaded the video files from all four dash cameras and imported them into Adobe Premiere Pro so I could examine the mono audio tracks created by each dash camera.

Here are the status lines from all four cameras showing their time clock values are within 2 seconds of other dash cameras in the test.

View attachment 61267

The next two screen shots are of the four audio tracks dB levels (1st pic = full sample, 2nd pic = one example of one of the peaks).

View attachment 61266 View attachment 61268

The Vantrue E1 has firmware VT-EBG311 that was released on 01-Aug-2022. The VIOFO A119 Mini is running a test firmware version of V1.0_0714 which was to have optimized the audio recording level. The A119 Mini's audio level is very low. The A119 Mini's recording level is actually an improvement over the V1.0_0621 firmware, but nowhere near where it needs to be for the dash camera. The VIOFO A229 Duo and VIOFO T130 have very similar audio recording levels.

The audio levels shown in the second pic show a wide variance in the audio track dB levels.

-10.7 dB - Vantrue E1
-37.9 dB - VIOFO A119 Mini
-22.9 dB - VIOFO A229 Duo Front
-21.3 dB - VIOFO T130-3ch Front

Audio Test Results - In My Opinion

Vantrue E1 - Volume is too loud
VIOFO A119 Mini - Volume is well below where it needs to be
VIOFO A229 Duo - Volume is "just right".
VIOFO T130 - Volume is "just right".

I've reported my findings to both Vantrue and VIOFO.
Here's the info from my 2-Aug-2022 post about the audio levels for the Vantrue E1, VIOFO A119 Mini, VIOFO A229 Duo and VIOFO T130-3CH.
The A119 Mini's audio level has been an issue from day 1 of testing. I was given a test firmware V1.0_0714 which optimized the audio level in the firmware and it did slightly increase the audio level from almost impossible to hear to what I'm calling "a whisper" level. The A119 Mini's audio level is 15 to 16 decibels below the levels of the A229 Duo and T130 audio.

Here's a couple of pictures from one of my A119 Mini dash cameras showing the microphone location.

1660601390717.png

Back