I have not seen the bad reds you mention. My own car`s two tone metallic paint is called "Passion Red" and it certain light conditions appears more like very dark pink/brown than red. I though the colours were very accurate in MOD 7Re unlike the YI dash cam which the red are almost luminous.

I am going to flash MOD 5Re and see if I can see any difference. I will post here with a sample when I have one.

Last edited:
MOD-7Re 2560x1440
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TtYZZK07OuppMYyJLgm7-2jDBGLekeNX
It does not play well red color. At 1.22 the Skoda is red.
Fantastic sharpness and clarity, best IQ from A119 so far! Great idea to use Dash Mat to block reflections, works perfectly!
Totally agree the HUE favors blue, other colors like red are dull and incorrect tone. HUE correction released, please re-download the newest revision:

FWBA119_MOD-7Re_v4.00+27Mbps+Sharp170+Edge148+Hue136+Sat32+DCTeam.bin
Download > https://drive.google.com/open?id=10rSqG-9WvUJEvxJgCINfIzZNsIEhr8xP

FWBA119_MOD-5Re_v4.00+25Mbps+Sharp170+Edge148+Hue136+Sat32+DCTeam.bin
Download > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BwGlATp2u66OnijA0xuUlI55hAZxockf

Last edited:
To all DCTeam members sharing video clips using Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive, MediaFire, YouTube... I'd like to thank you for the time and effort and realize these 150-600MB files fill your online accounts. Without these raw video files to compare all modifications and adjustments would take much longer. I've downloaded and saved all shared videos so you can now delete all except the most recent from all your online accounts to free space.
May build a 24hour dedicated 4TB FTP Server for DCTeam private use.

Here is another sample of the original MOD 7Re, It was taken on the seafront with many parked cars with a multitude of various red cars in differing shades. I have since loaded the latest MOD 5Re and will compare then try the new MOD 7Re.

MOD 7Re original RED check CPL On WDR Off ( as per menu)

Colours can be subjective. The colours can look different on different monitors/graphics cards/tvs and players. It is difficult to get near perfect colours with out special equipment to set every thing up.

Last edited:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11V8UTqjcHZ_JFlWH441GU2wOIWDCIbYV
Fantastic sharpness and clarity, best IQ from A119 so far! Great idea to use Dash Mat to block reflections, works perfectly!
Totally agree the HUE favors blue, other colors like red are dull and incorrect tone. HUE correction released, please re-download the newest revision:

FWBA119_MOD-7Re_v4.00+27Mbps+Sharp170+Edge148+Hue136+Sat32+DCTeam.bin
Download > https://drive.google.com/open?id=10rSqG-9WvUJEvxJgCINfIzZNsIEhr8xP

FWBA119_MOD-5Re_v4.00+25Mbps+Sharp170+Edge148+Hue136+Sat32+DCTeam.bin
Download > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BwGlATp2u66OnijA0xuUlI55hAZxockf

Here is another sample of the original MOD 7Re, It was taken on the seafront with many parked cars with a multitude of various red cars in differing shades. I have since loaded the latest MOD 5Re and will compare then try the new MOD 7Re.

MOD 7Re original RED check CPL On WDR Off ( as per menu)

Colours can be subjective. The colours can look different on different monitors/graphics cards/tvs and players. It is difficult to get near perfect colours with out special equipment to set every thing up.
Excellent coastal drive using 7Re Hue146, the enhanced blue/green looks great but red is dull and most difficult for any camera to capture accurately. As @borik stated "we have sharper eyes on a forum". Agreed colours will change when viewing on different devices especially a Smart TV with auto image enhancement enabled. The corrected 5Re 7Re Hue136 should yield more balanced red/orange/yellow.
Thanks for sharing that tour, its a keeper, now you've motivated me to take a 1 min drive near water with horses, fields and narrow streets while driving through a Hobbit Tree tunnel, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the quick test using corrected 7Re Hue136, the reds are now noticeably brighter but not extreme with strong blue.
You have a perfectly center focused A119 Lens, distant objects are accurate, usually there is a trade off and confirmed on extreme left and right edges which have very slight acceptable blur. The footage from Tractor above although he didn't stop reveals his A119 Lens has perfect edge focus and very very slight distant object blur but absolutely acceptable. The A119 always had the best focus due to Lens elements and easier production line assembly, compared to A119S with worst unless very lucky during assembly by skilled worker and replaced with alternate F1.6 Lens and metal base. You both have superior video image compared to my refocused A119S, but my IQ adjustments are getting very close.

Thanks to all for the various A119 Firmware improvements. As a new A119 user, I REALLY appreciate what you all are doing to improve the A119 series. Unfortunately I can't contribute much with firmware tests to upload as I have pretty slow internet service. But I may try a shorter edit once I figure that software out?

One question or rather request about firmware modifications. Is it possible to change via firmware, the Microphone on screen symbol to say Orange or Red when OFF, vs. having just a thin line through it? Or turning on the LED Microphone exterior button when On like the recording button? Reason being, is that I cannot see the line without reading glasses & I don't always have those in the car. Already I have made several mistakes of turning the microphone Off when I wanted it On & the reverse. I have found that using the Microphone button while driving (when Safe to do so) to On, allows me to make a recorded voice note of a license plate # or description of the situation. I find that often while driving, head on vehicle license plate #'s are not readable. I have security reasons & the advice from police in my very rural area for trying to keep track of unknown vehicles, plate #'s & people.

An orange Off colour or red LED On colour would make the Microphone function much more positive. If not, I have put in a request to Viofo support as well, but I see this mod thread being far more active, so I thought of asking here. I'd do it if I knew how. Of course the other option is to just leave the sound on all the time, which is my work around. Thank you.

Also, is there a tutorial somewhere to learn how to edit the firmware oneself or to help here?

Thanks to all for the various A119 Firmware improvements. As a new A119 user, I REALLY appreciate what you all are doing to improve the A119 series. Unfortunately I can't contribute much with firmware tests to upload as I have pretty slow internet service. But I may try a shorter edit once I figure that software out?

One question or rather request about firmware modifications. Is it possible to change via firmware, the Microphone on screen symbol to say Orange or Red when OFF, vs. having just a thin line through it? Or turning on the LED Microphone exterior button when On like the recording button? Reason being, is that I cannot see the line without reading glasses & I don't always have those in the car. Already I have made several mistakes of turning the microphone Off when I wanted it On & the reverse. I have found that using the Microphone button while driving (when Safe to do so) to On, allows me to make a recorded voice note of a license plate # or description of the situation. I find that often while driving, head on vehicle license plate #'s are not readable. I have security reasons & the advice from police in my very rural area for trying to keep track of unknown vehicles, plate #'s & people.

An orange Off colour or red LED On colour would make the Microphone function much more positive. If not, I have put in a request to Viofo support as well, but I see this mod thread being far more active, so I thought of asking here. I'd do it if I knew how. Of course the other option is to just leave the sound on all the time, which is my work around. Thank you.

Also, is there a tutorial somewhere to learn how to edit the firmware oneself or to help here?
Welcome to the greatest show on Earth! oh wait that's the other Forum, DashCamTalk is Largest!
The A119 is the first and most popular VIOFO Dashcam, good choice. If you've followed this thread you'll note many Beta Testers only share static photos which can be cropped and mosaic'd for easier comparisons, those take almost no storage or bandwidth.
Excellent idea to change that tiny MIC icon, totally agree current one is inadequate. I'm about to release 2 more A119 STABLE versions and will customize the 7-5Rf version to include a different MIC icon.
original v1.0 = ico_234.png ico_233.png
DCTeam v2.0 = ico_234.png ico_233-1.png

During daytime your DVR has the resolution to capture passing vehicle plates even at high speeds. Try few different MP4 video Players/Viewers and PAUSE video to get the clearest frame, another way is to use Viewers controls to slow down video. Low light conditions cause motion blurring and makes plate readability more difficult or impossible especially at night.

Visit post #1 of this thread for more information then take the link to A119 MOD Archive and get the ReadMe.txt file, inside are links to newer Novatek Partition Merge video and outdated Firmware Modification video which explains most steps and tools.

Last edited:
Created new A119 - STABLE versions 7Rf , 5Rf with default Hue & Saturation for improved low light detail recommended and verified by @tedmault DCTeam member.
Also included @BC Rural 's suggestion for customized Microphone-Off icon 42498 to improve visibility when pressing the MIC button.
See post #1 of this thread for details and ChangeLog.

FWBA119_MOD-7Rf_v4.00+27Mbps+Sharp170+Edge148+DCTeam.bin
Download > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yd7J529hKyZ45mTyGdsFrpGnBmO89rj4

FWBA119_MOD-5Rf_v4.00+25Mbps+Sharp170+Edge148+DCTeam.bin
Download > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n4_DnSUaFVwGTQF2S3FCJz1yBb2fpqNm

How to Install Modified Firmware: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com
A119 Dash Cam Review: https://viofo-a119-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com
---
DCTeam - CEO/CEH/CDO/DRD/DSP/IQE/PDU/SFC/LLS
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/BCHobbyist

Last edited:
Thanks for the effort guys. I have bought a A119 v2 with GPS unit because of the overwhelming support this product has over any other unit. Plus the mods too.

I have to report a bug that I discovered with the 5.F mod. it recorded with GPS coordinates on that same evening I installed the mod. The next day (more or less 8 hours has passed) the NO GPS bug has become a permanent fixture on my unit. Tried reset settings, tried to move the power to the dashcam from gps unit and fiddled around with the settings (1440p > 1080p30, GPS OFF > ON and etc.) but no avail. The only solution was to update to official v4.01 firmware then it has worked.

Is there something wrong or something that I could do to prevent the GPS bug on the modded firmware?

Thanks for the effort guys. I have bought a A119 v2 with GPS unit because of the overwhelming support this product has over any other unit. Plus the mods too.

I have to report a bug that I discovered with the 5.F mod. it recorded with GPS coordinates on that same evening I installed the mod. The next day (more or less 8 hours has passed) the NO GPS bug has become a permanent fixture on my unit. Tried reset settings, tried to move the power to the dashcam from gps unit and fiddled around with the settings (1440p > 1080p30, GPS OFF > ON and etc.) but no avail. The only solution was to update to official v4.01 firmware then it has worked.

Is there something wrong or something that I could do to prevent the GPS bug on the modded firmware?
Welcome to the Forum,
Few things to check, position of GPS mount should not be under metal or mesh and away from other GPS devices. Always verify its not the GPS Module power connection by temporarily connecting USB cable to A119 side port. The MOD shouldn't have any effect on GPS but the location of vehicle is important. Driving in tunnel, near metal bins, tall buildings or hills can cause weak GPS signal and disconnect. I doubt its the microSD card but if you have a spare swap them. My guess is the GPS module position on windshield too close to metal or another device.

Last edited:
I do not think there are obstacles to my GPS unit / dashcam. Here is the pic of the fixture.

U2Y16Cq.jpg

I have already tried to power it from the side but the NO GPS bug still prevails.

I do not think there are obstacles to my GPS unit / dashcam. Here is the pic of the fixture.

U2Y16Cq.jpg

I have already tried to power it from the side but the NO GPS bug still prevails.
If that tint strip has metal or mylar or similar it could reduce GPS signal by reflecting it away. Before moving the GPS module load the older A119 v3.91, it was very stable.
- Power from module and side port,
- change the memory card,
- turn off cellphones and other GPS devices,
- turn off car radio
- turn off ignition then turn key 2 clicks to ON position for accessory power only and try all tests again using any firmware.

VERIFY the MENU actually is saving the GPS as ON. Exit Menu then re-enter to check the setting.
Its also possible that is a defective GPS module, do all tests possible before removing it from windshield.
Verify the GPS module contacts are not bent and clean. Use a white vinyl eraser to gently erase the grime from A119 plate. Take close-up photos of contacts.

If you determine its the GPS mount position and that sun shade tint isn't factory you could try cutting a notch around the mount, but test it in your hands first. Others will provide other troubleshooting tips, there is a known GPS Bug but not in my list.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that the tint strip is mandatory on all cars sold here in the Philippines for safety and climate reasons. And thank you for your suggestions.

Power from module and side port
Already did this, bug prevails
Change the memory card
Performed with 16gb Transcend high endurance, bug prevails
Turn off cellphones and other GPS devices
GPS turned off with my cellphone, no other device, bug prevails.
Turn off car radio
Performed this, bug prevails,
Turn off ignition then turn key 2 clicks to ON position for accessory power only and try all tests again using any firmware
I tested with only the car in ACC mode, bug prevails.
VERIFY the MENU actually is saving the GPS as ON. Exit Menu then re-enter to check the setting.
Yes GPS is set to ON
Its also possible that is a defective GPS module, do all tests possible before removing it from windshield.
The GPS unit works when I updated to v4.01 so I don't think its a GPS unit issue.
Verify the GPS module contacts are not bent and clean. Use a white vinyl eraser to gently erase the grime from A119 plate. Take close-up photos of contacts.
The unit is all brand new, contacts are shiny and unused.

The only way I've gotten around this bug is to install the latest official firmware which was v4.01. I want to have control over video sharpness though.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that the tint strip is fixed on all cars sold here in the Philippines. And thank you for your suggestions.

Already did this, bug prevails
Performed with 16gb Transcend high endurance, bug prevails
GPS turned off with my cellphone, no other device, bug prevails.
Performed this, bug prevails,
I tested with only the car in ACC mode, bug prevails.

The only way I've gotten around this bug is to install the latest official firmware which was v4.01. I want to have control over video sharpness though.
Interesting, If it works 100% with official firmware and none of my A119 MODs this could be serious but never reported before. Try my newest A119 MODs.
Update: loaded A119 MOD-5F and GPS works perfectly including all newest MODs.

There is another possible cause for hardware failure and odd behavior in the A119, its the Boot Loader.
Before attempting to update the Loader firmware suggest simply testing other MODs and versions of official firmware and note any broken features which point to Loader corruption.
I have the procedure if you need it.

Last edited:
Currently 2 days have passed since I installed v4.01, no GPS bugs so far. I have gotten a reformat warning a day after I installed the official firmware though so that's something to take note of.

So far I have only tried with the 5.F mod, I will try again with the more recent mods. If the bug happens again I will let you know.

I have tried several MODS with the GPS all worked fine. On occasions the GPS take quite a while to locate a signal may 5-10 mins. Some times it will lose the signal in heavy built up areas but usually returns on getting to a less densely built-up area.
BCHobbist has given you most of the advise to check. Please make sure you have turned on GPS in the menu and check the GPS display options making sure you have not turned off co-ordinates or speed Etc.

I've come to post a report. I've noticed that when I had used ".TS" Transport stream file format I maintained my GPS logging even after several days, when I used MP4 the unit has a risk of acquiring GPS bug (persistent "NO GPS") with the last file and not able to lock-in GPS coordinates indefinitely with the next time I start the car / unit.

I tried to solve GPS bug by doing the following:
  1. GPS Functionality does not return and still gives me "NO GPS" when I flash v4.00 5RF mod and reset to default settings.
  2. GPS Functionality returns instantly when I flash Viofo official V4.01 firmware.
  3. I flashed the v4.00 5RF Mod after flashing with official v4.01 firmware. Now the GPS functionality is there on v4.00-5RF mod. I have set it to TS file format and will observe if the bug returns.

My observations:
I have reviewed my footage with both official and modded firmware and observed that :
  • On v4.01, GPS renews coordinates within 30secs-1minute even with .TS, .MP4 and even after long hours of not using the device.
  • On v4.00 5F, NO GPS error seems to coincide with using MP4 file format and last file write error which has resetted my settings once (to 1080p30) and gave me a NO GPS bug. This often occurs after a medium distance drive and upon engine shut-off / device off.
  • I have based these observations on 1 week of testing the official and modded firmware.
I am now on the v4.00-5RF with TS file format. Will post again if issues come up.

Last edited:
Back