A119 not working. Is it dead? It might be dead…

paramedico987

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I’ve had this a119 for around 3 years and haven’t had any issues till just the other week.

It’s been hardwired and mounted on the GPS thing since initial install. There haven’t been any reasons for it to go wrong. It hasn’t been hot or anything and no water or vibration/impact has occurred.

It just was on like this (see pic) one day. It doesn’t do anything when buttons are pressed, but it does beep like it’s acknowledging a button press. It doesn’t beep or prompt anything when the SD card is removed.

Most of the writing on the screen is what is usually there, but obviously the video image is all messed up. It used to have my license plate as the optional display on the right side.

I tried to reset it and was able to get the data to go away, but it still otherwise is the same.

Anybody know any sort of fix? If not, it’s destined for the trash bin and I’ll be in the market for another camera…

Attachments

• 4F4D3999-6642-4014-82A5-A795CA1A0AB6.jpeg
    4F4D3999-6642-4014-82A5-A795CA1A0AB6.jpeg
    571.2 KB · Views: 16
Update to the latest firmware. Be sure to manually default the cameras settings after the update, then press and hold the hard reset button on the side of the camera for about 5 seconds.

Oh, boy.
How do I do that? Had no idea there was an update process to this thing…

I think it’s back!
For some reason, it let me do stuff when I plugged it in again with the SD card out and I was able to reset to factory defaults and it seems to be working.
Fingers crossed…

Well, it worked.
I can’t explain it, but it worked.
And I updated the firmware after it came back to life.

The GPS isn’t working, but honestly it’s probably more incriminating than exculpatory anyhow.

Manually defaulting the camera will usually fix things temporarily, which is why updating the firmware should be done. This was a firmware bug that was fixed years ago.

If "incriminating yourself" is a worry, you should not record video while driving, as your exact speed can always be determined from the video itself.
Actually no judge will probably have much faith in a cheap un-calibrated GPS unit in a generic product, but the video approach is 100 % and then you just need a trusted person to measure the distance in between 2 things in the video, and then measure the time in the video it take you to cover that distance.
That would be 100 % irrefutable math that will fly in court.

Good you got the thing working again.
With 3 years of age, i assume that go for the memory card too, you might want to be weary of this and the fact memory cards do not last forever.

All dashcams need maintenance. At least every couple months, pull the card and view some of the vids. I check one of the oldest ones, one or two at random near the middle, then the last vid to check that shutdown is working properly. If it all looks good put the card in the cam and format the card there. While you're at it make sure the lens is clean, cables still tight, and the mount secure. At least twice a year you should test the card using "crystaldiskmark" or "h2testw" freeware doing a full overwrite. Also do that test if there's any glitch or problem with the cam, as card problems are the most common point of failure with these.

If the GPS isn't working, is turned off, or if your cam doesn't have it also remember to check and adjust the date-time when you check the card. Here in the US GPS data from a cam isn't admissible as accurate evidence so I wouldn't worry about small discrepancies with your speed but if you regularly go fast it might be better turned off.

Phil

Back