A119 PRO blury night video.

Erdinch

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Hello,
some months ago I have bought a119 pro. Few days ago I had a look on night videos. I was really disappointed.
I expected more clear footage.
Is this the best I can get...or there are some settings that I need to adjust?47173

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-05-20-43-27.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-05-20-43-27.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Looks normal to me. Hopefully someone here can explain or you can search the forum, to find how exactly the digital capture of dash cams & videos work.

Maybe you are expecting too much & maybe not understanding the physics of video / photography & digital sensors in low light (night) situations? You could do a web search regarding this. But basically, slower capture / shutter speeds needed to let in enough light to a fixed aperture lens means that slower shutter speeds cannot freeze motion faster than the shutter speed, meaning that faster motion will be blurred. It also depends on the angle of the motion to the camera, among other things. As well, video uses slower shutter speeds than still cameras. Look at the EXIF info of your image & it may say what shutter speed that the image was captured at. Often anything slower than 1/125 or 1/250/sec will look blurry, especially at higher magnifications. Really fast shutter speeds are required to stop all motion.

First thing I would try is to clean your windshield, inside and out. Looks dirty. Make sure the lens (and CPL if you use one) is clean as well. If your using a CPL, remove it and see what night looks like then.

I just want to compare my video quality with the quality of other a119 pro cameras.
Thanks for your answers.

I have cpl filter...and now I remembered that I did not remove the protective foil...
Distance between the camera lens and the windshield is about 20 cm.

I have cpl filter...and now I remembered that I did not remove the protective foil...
Distance between the camera lens and the windshield is about 20 cm.
Removing that should make a big difference.

May want to aim the lens down a click or 2 also. Hard to see in a night photo, but it looks like it's capturing a lot of sky.

Removing the CPL filter will allow for faster shutter speeds as it reduces usually about 2-3 stops of light allowed in. Cleaning the windshield while helpful, is not blocking THAT much light intensity, unless it was mud. Night itself, digital capture physics are the main problem. Freezing motion in the dark is not always possible & even during the day, depending on the light volume & speed & angle of the subject. Dashcams are AIDS, not 100% perfect capture devices in all situations. Even my digital SLR with really expensive lenses & my 40 years of professional experience CANNOT freeze motion of every moving object in every condition, especially at night. I would never expect a $100 to $10,000 video camera to do it. At night, sometimes the motion & angle are perfect to be captured sharp, but most often they would not be. Just like once in hundreds or thousands of captures, I can get a sharp image with my 500 mm lens hand held at 100 ISO in late afternoon. At night though, likely never.

Thanks for your comments!I really appreciate your advice,

Thanks for your comments!I really appreciate your advice,
your A119 Pro Lens is focused perfectly, removing the protective Lens film on CPL is always overlooked. For best Focus and Brightness assessment record footage without CPL then compare with CPL. Remember to always attach CPL with large Lens slot in upward position so it doesn't drop out during hot weather.
For more tips see my A119 Pro Blog = https://viofo-a119-pro-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com

Unless you are stopped and film things that don't move ,or drive as slow as your car can at night, you will never see crisp footage at night, the beast that ruin this for us all are called motion blur, and is the child of slow exposure speeds.
But as the other guys also say, being hysterical about cleaning your windscreen inside and out, are a good thing if you are into dashcams.

Back