A119 Pro very poor at night ? VIOFO input needed

aps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, after just returning from a long trip i find the quality of the night video is horrendous .
Grainy beyond acceptable , my original A119 was WAY better . There appears to be more grain on the daytime video also than the A119 but more acceptable than night
The settings used were : 1080 @ 60fps

I guess its due to additional sharpness of 1080 60fps ??
any further info would be great & input from VIOFO would be helpful .
Screen shot attachedpaint.jpg

Thanks in advance

It is , yes . First thing i did
Sending it back tmrw , simply doesn't cut it tbh . But maybe keep the thread due to other potential buyer to solve.
Ordered a 119S based on much better reviews. I did thoroughly read up on this one so i thought.

So yes its running 1.2

T

Did you try other players?

Somethings certainly not right about that picture.

Hi , yep tried 3 different players , not sure that they would make it so noisy to be fair.
just going back through some other footage and that image is a good example compared to others , some are worse

T

Have you tried other resolutions?

There are lots of other night samples here on DCT and they don't look anything like that.

Did you have WDR on during that recording @aps? WDR imo hasn't been worked out yet for the Pro so I keep it off on mine and my night videos don't look anything like that.

Tried a few settings , tbh cant remember if WDR was on or not , still a little let down in the quality overall , perhaps a friday afternoon version ?
i also have seen better samples , but those of mine are shocking

T

I’d look to see if WDR is on and if it is turn it off and recheck night quality.

interesting, I haven't even been out at night since I got mine... and to be fair I probably wont until the clocks change again!!

I've had my Pro for a few weeks now and I'm getting a bit concerned. How long does Viofo usually take to upgrade firmware? I honestly don't know their track record. It has been a little over a month since 1.2 was released. Do they participate in any forums where they discuss their efforts to improve quality? I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but to be honest, I'm getting kind of antsy that My A119 Pro might never be as good as the other versions of the A119.

I've had my Pro for a few weeks now and I'm getting a bit concerned. How long does Viofo usually take to upgrade firmware? I honestly don't know their track record. It has been a little over a month since 1.2 was released. Do they participate in any forums where they discuss their efforts to improve quality? I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but to be honest, I'm getting kind of antsy that My A119 Pro might never be as good as the other versions of the A119.

I don't know the insides of @viofo but based on history, they do take feedback from the community and try and implement things when possible. The general consensus here is that they definitely seem like they fully stand behind their products. Hang in there. A few weeks is a very short amount of time to release another firmware no?

I have an A119 Pro and my video quality looks much better than the above. I am running 2560x1440 30fps WDR off. Having said that, I agree with the previous post comparing 119s to 119 PRO. From samples I have seen, the 119s looks better at night than the 119 Pro. Hoping the PRO will will catch up at some point.

The A119S should give better night performance as that is the benefit of it's sensor, the Pro gives higher resolution which should improve daytime performance. I think the PRO name causes a problem as it implies it's a superior top end product, when in fact it is slightly cheaper to buy than the lower resolution A119S. You take your pick really depending on your priorities, I think both are good cameras for the money. Hopefully the PRO will be continually improved with firmware, the A119S has been available longer so they've had more time to get the best performance out of it.

I think I have WDR on.

Maybe I should turn it off for a while see how different it records.

I have tried WDR with my own A119 and my sample A129 & GitUp G3, but personally I prefer the results without WDR on all 3 cameras.

It's turned off now Tony - so will see if owt looks better. I might put a little before & after up from today and yesterday where the heat makes some drivers a little less better than they usually might be, lol...

@viofo It has been confirmed that this problem is due to the resolution. The native 1440 doesn't do this.

v1.31 is apparently out now
I had a night footage clip saved from last month from v1.2 at 1080p60 and mine was as bad as this for graininess, it was shocking

I'm currently on v1.3 now (since this morning) and the res is at 1440p30 but I've no night footage as yet, if anyone wants to try v1.31 if they're gonna be out at night in the near future it'd be good to see if 1080p60 or 1440p30 has any difference? (apparently 1440p30 was fine all along)

Back