A119 Question about power supply

Elzevir

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi, it's my first post here so welcome everyone, all best for you guys in 2017!
I've just bought A119 and have question about power supply. I had fitted Xiaomi Roidmi 2S in my car cigarette lighter (bluetooth receiver, fm transmiter, very clever little device). It has 2 USB outputs.
Now, can I plug A119 USB cable into that? Will that cause any damage to my dash cam? Or I must use original power suply given by VIOFO?
Thanks in advance!
Martin

It's recommended to use the included power supply and cable.

I would personally avoid using a power supply that has features such as BT receiver and FM transmitter built-in, more chances of interference to occur.

what's the amperage on each USB port? it should provide atleast 1A @ 5v.

you should be just fine. :) but try to use the USB cable that came with the camera.
Ok, I will!
Honestly i'm quite surprised about this all voltage stuff. I thought that if I need power supply from USB, any USB output is suitable. But then I started to mess with google, forums, etc and turned out that:
1) I will damage my dash cam
2) I should add only 300$ more and buy GoPro...

If you have a USB voltage checker then I suggest you test your USB output before plugging a camera into it, 0.2V above the USB specification can kill a camera. If it is within specification then it should be fine, but don't blame the camera if you get interference on the image or audio using a third party power adaptor. As above, try to use the original cable since Viofo cables are decent quality unlike many others.

well, my 2 cameras connected to a power bank which provides 5.27v / 5.29v on each of 3 USB ports.

well, my 2 cameras connected to a power bank which provides 5.27v / 5.29v on each of 3 USB ports.
Given that the specification gives a maximum of 5.25V, both of those are out of specification!

But 0.04V above the specification is unlikely to blow up a camera, add another 0.2 and you have a very good chance of blowing up the camera.

Also, given the length of the power cable, you are likely to loose 0.04V over the cable anyway.

Ok, I will!
Honestly i'm quite surprised about this all voltage stuff. I thought that if I need power supply from USB, any USB output is suitable. But then I started to mess with google, forums, etc and turned out that:
1) I will damage my dash cam
2) I should add only 300$ more and buy GoPro...
Nevermind that because GoPro cameras have large batteries, they're not good for it in hot cars... Not to mention the high theft risk versus a discrete camera like this!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S A119 9
M A119 1
D A119 5
randy A119 5
N A119 18
Back