A119 saving problem.

skjoe

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 (2)
Hello everyone.
A month or so ago i brought an A119 with GPS, and its pretty great. But one day recently it started beeping it couldn't save the file, so i unplugged it and when i got home formatted the card in the camera. This worked fine for a week but one the card got full again same thing, so i formatted it with the viofo download. This worked fine for 3 hours into a 31/2 hr drive and again it cant overwrite and starts beeping.
I plugged it into my phone charger and left it on the counter. 18 hours later all is fine, i put it back in the car a drive to work, and as soon as it need to save a file it cant, and started beeping.
On the drive home i plugged the power into the camera and not the GPS mount and it worked fine, overwriting files as it should.
So, i think there must be something screwy with the gps mount.
Anyone else have any ideas, or heard of this before?

what card are you using?

more likely a GPS mount issue, there have been a couple of these recently

Hello everyone.
A month or so ago i brought an A119 with GPS, and its pretty great. But one day recently it started beeping it couldn't save the file, so i unplugged it and when i got home formatted the card in the camera. This worked fine for a week but one the card got full again same thing, so i formatted it with the viofo download. This worked fine for 3 hours into a 31/2 hr drive and again it cant overwrite and starts beeping.
I plugged it into my phone charger and left it on the counter. 18 hours later all is fine, i put it back in the car a drive to work, and as soon as it need to save a file it cant, and started beeping.
On the drive home i plugged the power into the camera and not the GPS mount and it worked fine, overwriting files as it should.
So, i think there must be something screwy with the gps mount.
Anyone else have any ideas, or heard of this before?
Similar thing happened to me with one of my A119 cameras. Upstairs, without the GPS unit, the camera and all 3 cards worked fine. In the car attached to the GPS unit, it wasn't recording video files properly most of the time using 3 different cards. Connecting the camera directly to the power supply, bypassing the GPS unit, caused all three cards to work properly. I requested an RMA and sent the GPS unit back to Spy tech for replacement. I'm waiting to hear on that now.

Lexar 300x 32GB.

It worked fine to and from work again today, so bypassing the GPS mount seems to fix it, other than the cable dangling across the window for my test.

I guess i will have to send that GPS unit back.
Hopefully the one i put in the parents car wont do the same in a month or i will never hear the end of it. :)

Yeah, one of my A119 has a dodgy GPS mount - it's the younger of the two I have. It has the screen flickering, noisy recordings, and also the occasional corrupt file. I swapped to powering via the camera's power socket and cured the problem.

For fun I took a q-tip and dipped it in some isopropyl alcohol and rubbed all the pins, pushed them in and out a few times and the slots on the camera, and it has worked just fine with power through the GPS mount again. left it running all day no errors.
I guess i will keep an eye on it for a while.

My A119 was having major memory issues with a Lexar 128Gb card (returning it) ... swapped it out for a Transcend 64Gb that seems to work MUCH more reliably (have to wonder if this unit really supports 128Gb cards???). I was noticing the noisy audio when running the power cord to the GPS. My car has a 110V outlet (switched) and am trying to use that with an iPhone usb charger via that 110v outlet - and the audio noise seems to be gone. Better power supply with no line noise? Still scoping out the power problem. I think the unit is picking up engine noise over the power line.

For fun I took a q-tip and dipped it in some isopropyl alcohol and rubbed all the pins, pushed them in and out a few times and the slots on the camera, and it has worked just fine with power through the GPS mount again. left it running all day no errors.
I guess i will keep an eye on it for a while.

There is nothing worse than sticking your filthy greasy fingers on the contacts.

Cleaning the contacts seemed to work, until yesterday. So i cleaned them again with the q-tip and alcohol and its working fine again.
I wish Viofo had supplied a right angle power cable so it would look neater when powered through the camera as that ultimately is going to be the solution for this i think.

Well, it seems like every 3 weeks i have this problem. I think its just time to accept i have a dodgy gps mount and try and get a replacement

Some of the original GPS mounts have intermittent power connection issues. The recommended fix is to plug the mini USB power cord directly into the side of the camera bypassing the GPS mount. GPS will still function this way, and the power will remain stable. Try this and confirm if it works better for a month. You'll avoid relying on those spring pins via pass through power.

Just a reminder that this cam has a few significant upgrades and the GPS connection/s looks to be logical

Also amazon sells right angle adapters and cables with right angle mini usb ends.

Also amazon sells right angle adapters and cables with right angle mini usb ends.

I was thinking of hardwiring this one, so if it does work ok through the camera then a right angled cable to make it look neater might be the way to go.

Back