[Solved] A119 Sometimes Does Not Automatically Turn On

Skeezix

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119
As the title says. I've had the camera for a year and a half, and more and more frequently, when I start the engine, the camera does not automatically turn on. Haven't put my finger on the exact circumstances though. I drive the car a few times a month but I don't see how that could be the problem. I appreciate any comments about this.

As the title says. I've had the camera for a year and a half, and more and more frequently, when I start the engine, the camera does not automatically turn on. Haven't put my finger on the exact circumstances though. I drive the car a few times a month but I don't see how that could be the problem. I appreciate any comments about this.

Hi Skeezix a couple of thoughts
Have you noticed if your time is out like it has reset? If you have gps it might hide this problem but the gps usually can take over 5 seconds to start.
I ask as I am wondering if your system memory battery may have gone flat. It is only a rechargeable button battery. There is also one in the gps module which I think is supposed to help the gps find location quicker based on its previous location lock. I am guessing a bit on that one however.

Is the camera hardwired or are you using the Viofo car adapter and USB cable? This sounds like a power supply issue.

Problem is in low capacity of all Capacitor. I have same problem in my Alfa 159.

A119 connected with adapter to fuse box.
1. insert key, car voltage +-12V, camera starting
2. Starting car, car voltage drop to 10,5-11V while starting, but adapter work only with minimum 11,6V. Camera losing power.
3. Car run, car voltage back to 14V, meanwhile camera runs out of capacity and restart. At this moment can stay off, start with memory error or start without problem.

If i start car fast (before camera start), or I wait to camera start recording, its higher chance to avoid problem

(bad English, but I hope you understand)

Problem is in low capacity of all Capacitor. I have same problem in my Alfa 159.

A119 connected with adapter to fuse box.
1. insert key, car voltage +-12V, camera starting
2. Starting car, car voltage drop to 10,5-11V while starting, but adapter work only with minimum 11,6V. Camera losing power.
3. Car run, car voltage back to 14V, meanwhile camera runs out of capacity and restart. At this moment can stay off, start with memory error or start without problem.

If i start car fast (before camera start), or I wait to camera start recording, its higher chance to avoid problem

(bad English, but I hope you understand)

English is good enough for me to understand and I think you have correct Solution. Low capacity capacitors. Does this only happen if you have hardwired the dashcam?

Thank you.

Alfa turns off 12V plug while starting so the problem was the same.

@LateralNW

Thank you for your ideas.

Hardwiring - When I installed the unit in January of 2017 I soldered the power line to the +12 IGN terminal to provide power whenever the key is turned to the ignition position.

Display time - The time is never off.

Memory battery - I'm not sure what you mean by "system memory battery" going flat. I don't think the A119 has a battery.

I am just now having problems. It could be that too much time is passing between startups (2 weeks or so in my garage) and I'm not giving the GPS module enough time to acquire a new signal. I have worked in the electronics industry since 1966 and have only seen a couple of capacitor failures since then, so I doubt that anything is wrong with the capacitors in the unit. I mean, after only 18 months? Could be, but what do I know...

I'll keep a better eye on it over the next few weeks.

@LateralNW

Thank you for your ideas.

Hardwiring - When I installed the unit in January of 2017 I soldered the power line to the +12 IGN terminal to provide power whenever the key is turned to the ignition position.

Display time - The time is never off.

Memory battery - I'm not sure what you mean by "system memory battery" going flat. I don't think the A119 has a battery.

I am just now having problems. It could be that too much time is passing between startups (2 weeks or so in my garage) and I'm not giving the GPS module enough time to acquire a new signal. I have worked in the electronics industry since 1966 and have only seen a couple of capacitor failures since then, so I doubt that anything is wrong with the capacitors in the unit. I mean, after only 18 months? Could be, but what do I know...

I'll keep a better eye on it over the next few weeks.
They have a small button battery that is soldered to the board. It’s there to maintain the date and time. If your time is never off, then your good. Though if you have GPS, you could be missing any time issues as the GPS will set the time once it gets signal. This will occur after the first file on startup. This first file with the wrong time and date would get erased immediately, as it has now become the oldest file and will be overwritten by looping. You’ll need to check the camera when you first start it up. As soon as it starts, check the time/date on the screen. You’ll need to do this after it’s been sitting for awhile though, unless the battery is completely dead.
How long it takes GPS to get connection to the satellite will have nothing to do with whether the camera will actually start or not. If you have it hardwired, I would try the Viofo car adapter and USB cable and see it the issue is still there. Sounds like a power supply issue, but I can see failing capacitors causing it too.

Problem probably solved by Firmware 3.9 with feature Boot Delay (boot 5-15sec after power on)

Problem probably solved by Firmware 3.9 with feature Boot Delay (boot 5-15sec after power on)

I have my A119 powered through the cigarette power adapter, not hardwired, and it also happened a couple times for me (first week of ownership).

Can you explain why the boot delay can solve this issue? I had it set to 5 seconds, would setting the boot delay longer 10-15 potentially solve it, and what is the reason why it would?

Each time I just had to hit a button and it ran normally.

Can you explain why the boot delay can solve this issue? I had it set to 5 seconds, would setting the boot
It's simple. After you insert key to ignition, camera will wait 5-15 sec (depend on settings) and then it turn on. So if is to much power lost while starting car, camera will start boot delay again.

I use 15 sec. I insert key, waiting 3 sec for preheating ignition (diesel) and start car. 1 of 100 with error.

It may be more simple.

I changed the cig power adapter to one I already one (not a viofo product), and I can’t even reproduce the same issue even if I try. And it still powers up with a 5, 10, or 15 second delay. I confirmed with my auto dealer that there should be nothing preventing the dash cam from starting up.

It turns out my cig adapter is likely the fault and the culprit. Probably not even worth contacting the vendor.

Can you explain why the boot delay can solve this issue? I had it set to 5 seconds, would setting the boot delay longer 10-15 potentially solve it, and what is the reason why it would?

Each time I just had to hit a button and it ran normally.
even with a push-button engine start you may turn the ignition on just to take a look at the temperature inside the car, for example, than you change your mind and start the engine and within those seconds the camera may start booting up and the voltage drops during engine start may send a camera into a stop recording state and save the recorded file while the voltage restores to normal, and that may corrupt just a file, or a card, or a firmware. the "boot delay" option gives the camera enough time to properly close the recorded file than wait for 5-15sec before attempting the next boot. or you start the engine, in a second or 2-3 stop it and start it again in 1-3 seconds for whatever reason it might be you may have a big problemo. very usable option. :)

even with a push-button engine start you may turn the ignition on just to take a look at the temperature inside the car, for example, than you change your mind and start the engine and within those seconds the camera may start booting up and the voltage drops during engine start may send a camera into a stop recording state and save the recorded file while the voltage restores to normal, and that may corrupt just a file, or a card, or a firmware. the "boot delay" option gives the camera enough time to properly close the recorded file than wait for 5-15sec before attempting the next boot. or you start the engine, in a second or 2-3 stop it and start it again in 1-3 seconds for whatever reason it might be you may have a big problemo. very usable option. :)

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I don't start the car, then turn off, then on again. It's always from a regular start, temperature is fine, etc.

In fact, I thought I solved the issue but it's still intermittently occurring. On one occasion I had a close call, and noticed the camera was not running. I have a previous A119 and never had this issue. Tried the supplied adapter again, a different cig outlet (car has a few), etc. I think I'm just going to return this unit. I can't pinpoint the issue and I can't comfortably rely on it - the very purpose of the camera! :)

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I don't start the car, then turn off, then on again. It's always from a regular start, temperature is fine, etc.

In fact, I thought I solved the issue but it's still intermittently occurring. On one occasion I had a close call, and noticed the camera was not running. I have a previous A119 and never had this issue. Tried the supplied adapter again, a different cig outlet (car has a few), etc. I think I'm just going to return this unit. I can't pinpoint the issue and I can't comfortably rely on it - the very purpose of the camera! :)
Have you tried this camera with the same power supply and cable that you are using on your other A119 that is running fine? Just swap the two cameras. If it is indeed the camera, then it should act up on your other setup. Aftermarket cables and adapters are always the first suspects.

there are at least 4 (+1 if you power up the camera through a GPS mount) possible points of failure: USB cable has 2 connectors, the camera has one, and a cig lighter adapter has 2 connectors before the camera gets the power. the other thing is the camera doesn't like to be under powered. officially 5v required to run a camera, but in my car even that small adapter that comes with the camera provides 5.1v. and (today) my cameras run @5.17v on average (+-0.05v). if the voltage drops under 4.9v when the camera needs 5v at least it may reboot or not start. do you know the voltage that comes into a cig lighter adapter? also there is the SD card, you may try to clean the contacts on it with an eraser.
I would replace the cable and see if the problem remains, if not replace the adapter, than SD card.
this small thing would help you with the voltage & amperage investigation.

41jyky8FYmL._AC_US200_-crop.jpg

Back