A119 sticky pad failed. What next?

DavidUK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dashcam was hanging by its power cable. 30 degrees C was the culprit no doubt.
The adhesive pad was stuck to the windscreen but had parted company with the cam's mount.
Tried re-sticking using No More Nails tape but that hasn't worked.

Anyone have a preferred sticky pad/tape solution in grey/black for a fresh start?

Many thanks.

If a 3M sticky pad leaves go then it is because there is some oil on the plastic surface, maybe oil that has come out of the plastic itself.

You need to clean the plastic carefully using a degreaser or detergent, or maybe alcohol, and maybe rough the surface up a bit with abrasive to give the sticky pad a bit more to get hold of.

Not used No More Nails tape but it is probably similar but maybe not sufficiently heat and UV resistant. If you can't find 3M then number plate sticky pads should be a better choice.

I have had two A119 V2s installed in one vehicle and another installed in one vehicle and then transferred to another. I needed to use a hot air gun (or was it a hair drier?) in order to remove/reinstall the camera that got switched. Installations have been for two years almost to the day. No sign of any of the cameras coming loose. Clean surface is a must.

As to recommendations for replacement tape, sorry, I haven't had to face the problem. I would think some sort of 3M tape from Amazon, suited to high temperature conditions, would do the job.

The key word when buying 3M tape is "VHB" which stands for Very High Bond.

As mentioned, a search on Amazon will reveal quite a few hits. Here is what a UK search produced:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122756076108

The one thing I did pick up on was that it was the mount side that came off. That's the side that was attached in the factory and is unusual. Whenever I've removed a mount it's the tape to screen that comes away first.

The other thing to remember is that these 3M VHB tapes take 72 hours to fully cure.

Last edited:
I have had no problem with the sticky pads other than when I wanted to remove the mount. It is determination that is required to remove the mount if it has been fitted correctly. It is very important the sticky pad is placed on a flat section and enough force used to ensure minimum air bubbles in the contact area.

I have had no problem with the sticky pads other than when I wanted to remove the mount. It is determination that is required to remove the mount if it has been fitted correctly. It is very important the sticky pad is placed on a flat section and enough force used to ensure minimum air bubbles in the contact area.
Its very rare that windscreens are flat, especially at the top where you normally place them cameras.
With that in mind, the sticky tape is a foam type on the gps mount which means it allows some degree of curvature on the wind screen.

As many said here, main thing is to make sure wind screen is clean (soap + water, dry with lint free cloth, follow up with pure alcohol based solvents like ethanol or isopropanol, let dry properly...doesnt take long but I normally eait a minute to be sure no solvent is left -ATTACH and apply firm pressure for a minute or two (no camera in the GPS mount makes it a lot easier to apply even pressure).

If the tape came of from the plastic piece, then likely Viofo did not make a good job cleaning the plastic from oils or used wrong type of plastic (some plastic "sweat") or a bad self adhesive sticker (fake 3M?). Cross fingers and clean in same way as wind shield and apply strong self adhesive tape thats heat and cold resistant. UV resistance is also nice to have since it sits right in the sun rays, even if the wind screen basically blocks most of the UV light (or you would get a tan when inside :) ) especially considering its laminated glass.

Back