A119 Time Keeping

ghines

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Viofo A119S
Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing an A119 and have a few questions regarding how it keeps the time. I imagine a unit with the GPS option would sync the A119 time from the GPS, but what about a A119 without the GPS option?

I suppose it must have a battery of some sort, probably a small button type, to keep the time.
  1. However how long will that battery last?
  2. Is it rechargeable?
  3. How will it cope in the heat.
Reason for all the questions is I really don't require the GPS option, but am I better off getting it? If only for the time keeping.

Thoughts appreciated.

TIA

Greg

it has an RTC cell on the mainboard
Do you mean something like this DS1387 which has a battery inside it?

rtc.jpg

same concept but it's built into the processor, there is a tiny little rechargeable cell which keeps the clock settings, same goes whether it's GPS version or not

Do you mean something like this DS1387 which has a battery inside it?

rtc.jpg
lol looks like an old motherboard i had - AT power connector, probably 30-pin simms, and the large AT keyboard connector on the right. and yet usually only AGP slots are brown... o_O

I haven't had any issues with my non-gps a119 in houston, and it's plenty hot here right now. 2 days ago it hit 105f (actual, not "feels like") - which, when converted to C is approximately "BLOODY F'N HOT"

same concept but it's built into the processor, there is a tiny little rechargeable cell which keeps the clock settings, same goes whether it's GPS version or not
This brings up two questions:-
  1. How long before the rechargeable cell goes flat and the time resets to some default time?
  2. Are you saying it does not sync with the GPS if this option is installed?
Greg

This brings up two questions:-
  1. How long before the rechargeable cell goes flat and the time resets to some default time?
  2. Are you saying it does not sync with the GPS if this option is installed?
Greg

those cells can typically last 3 to 5 years

sync or no sync with GPS can work either way, if GPS is available then most cameras will offer a time sync function

I've left my truck parked for 8-9 days and during that time the camera received no external power. Date and time were still good when I started it back up. And that's without GPS.

It will sync with GPS if you have GPS, otherwise it just uses whatever time you set manually the first time you turn it on, or whatever you set manually in the setup menus. If you manually set a time then later get GPS, my guess is the good time would override what you had set manually. So make sure you pick the right time zone offset (from GMT) if you do have GPS.

I've left my truck parked for 8-9 days and during that time the camera received no external power. Date and time were still good when I started it back up. And that's without GPS.

It will sync with GPS if you have GPS, otherwise it just uses whatever time you set manually the first time you turn it on, or whatever you set manually in the setup menus. If you manually set a time then later get GPS, my guess is the good time would override what you had set manually. So make sure you pick the right time zone offset (from GMT) if you do have GPS.
On the A119 the time is set only military time and I don't see an option to to switch it back and I hate subtracting 12 hours all the time. I wonder if it is because I upgraded to the latest firmware 13.

On the A119 the time is set only military time and I don't see an option to to switch it back and I hate subtracting 12 hours all the time. I wonder if it is because I upgraded to the latest firmware 13.

the file naming convention is fixed and will always be year, month, date, time, file number, the display format should be adjustable but the time is normally 24 hour time

Back