A119 Unable to update firmware v3.6 to v4.0

Thats weird i don't remember seeing any green led flashing and i have done quite few uploads. It cuts out at 40-41 secs when flashing any V4.0
The green led can be difficult to see on some cameras. Next update, turn the lights low or cup your hands over the power button while it’s loading and you should see it.

Thats weird i don't remember seeing any green led flashing and i have done quite few uploads. It cuts out at 40-41 secs when flashing any V4.0
Looks like you made it up near to the boot sequence before the loading failed.

If you are connecting the camera to a computer USB port as Viofo instructs, consider just copying the .bin file to the card using the PC card reader, then eject the card, insert it into the unpowered camera, and use a USB wall charger or +5Vdc battery bank with the supplied short cable to power up the camera. I used this method to load the A119 V4.00 firmware. Some say that some PC's USB ports may not supply adequate power to operate some dashcams, but I have not had this problem.

If this doesn't work you are back to considering other alternatives such as doing the special boot loader procedure for which someone else will have to help you. I think @CaptureYourAction might be able to help. You could also try to load the boot loader file (LDBA119.bin) before loading firmware using the regular method which is discussed in the Viofo instructions.

Last edited:
Hello I am now also having this problem.. I have had my Viofo A119S for nearly 18 months and it works perfectly..I have carried out numerous firmware updates from the Viofo support site successfully copying the bin files to my SD card then inserting into the camera and plugging into wall socket and turning camera on it updates firmwares easily. I then reset everything on camera once firmware updated and away to go..... I am currently of the A119S 2.61 firmware dated 180730...this has worked fine but I have seen there is a newer version 4.0 available..

I am very familiar with the upload processes but I have spent nearly 2 hours trying to update to V 4.0 with no success. I have used 3 different 32GB SD cards.. (I unbranded, 1 Lexar 633x microSHC1 and a Samsung 32GB Pro Endurance these have had no problems previously updating firmware versions) I have formatted these cards on my computer and also in the camera, I have downloaded the Bin file to the card on the computer and inserted it in the camera before powering up via computer (fail) and tried powering up via wall charger (fail) when trying to power up camera via computer camera just says in Micro SD reader mode and nothing else happens. I have tried downloading the bin file to the SD card whilst it is in my camera which it did but again it fails to update.. Every time I try the update when the SD card is in the camera and powering up from wall socket all that happens is the Viofo log on comes up and the camera begins automatically recording (red light only flashes).. (This seems to be the same problem as another members post).. I do find these problems very strange as I have updated firmware on this camera many times over the last year or more with no issues whatsoever??? Please can anyone offer some suggestions.. Thanks again everyone.....

Last edited:
Try transferring the .bin file to the root of the SD-card by using the cam as a storage device on the PC (not SD-Card in PC) making sure the file name is correct. Once transferred safely remove from PC. Then connect dashcam to wall adapter not to PC. It should flash slowly for about 10 flashes then rapid flashing followed by slow then fast flashing it should then automatically reboot. Do not forget to set it to default to clear all setting then setup to your liking.
when connected to a PC it will say Micro SD-reader as it should.

Last edited:
What operating system are you using? On some fatish filesystems, the case of the extension, here .bin or perhaps .BIN, can be ambiguous. That can cause precisely the problem that you are seeing.

Tractor and Epimorphic....Thank you both very much for your input.....I have now established the problem...it was as you both mentioned all down to the .bin download reading on my computer ....I had a few .bin downloaded firmware versions on my Windows 10 system from Viofo...this version 4.0 put the download on my computer as FWA119S.bin (3)

That was what caused all my problems....by deleting all my old Viofo .bin files from my computer and re downloading the bin file it showed as FWA119S.bin

I then plugged the camera to my computer formatted the SD card whilst it was in the camera, then sent the downloaded .bin file to the card (still in the camera) removed the camera from the computer, plugged camera to wall charger and hey presto version 4.0 loaded no problem.. Reset all back to factory settings and reprogrammed my customised preferences and I`m happy again so thanks to you guys for your valuable input.. Seasons greetings........

I received a new A19 the other day, it's firmware installed was 4.01 NOT 4.0. Hope this helps you in .

The firmware download is 4.01 although Viofo's site says 4.0

So is the latest supposed to be 3.91, 4.0 or 4.01.

I have 3.91 and cant get this to update. Tried everything suggested in the fw topic but it ain't workin'.

Ok well after doing all these suggestions I fnally got it up to 4.01 on the camera.

Thanks for the help.

What you need to do is just 5-6 postings up. The latest is 4.01 Viofo web site says 4.0 but the downloaded file will install V4.01.

Hello,

I had the same problem to upgrade A119 V2 from 3.91 to 4.0. I have Samsung Evo sdcard with exFAT. When i changed sdcard to Kingston with FAT32, upgrade completed successfully.

Regards

So is there a way to get out of 3.6 firmware?
I've got A119 V2, tried loader and firmware V4.0 from https://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000019600-viofo-a119-car-dash-camera-firmware but it doesn't work: LDBA119.bin does nothing and stays on SD card, FWBA119.bin resets device settings to defaults and is deleted. I've tried renaming FWBA119.bin to FWA119S.bin – no happens, file stays on SD card, device starts as usual. I've tried using USB wall plug – no result, device starts as usual. I have also tried restarting device while it is plugged in to USB wall charger.
I have also tried every single file from current thread and this one – https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/the-firmware-119-v2-is-not-updated.33329/
I urgently need firmware update for startup delay function. Please help...

Thanks for response, Tractor. I did everything exactly as BCHpbbyist did using file from his website. Still nothing! Please help me to get to 4.0 or anywhere from 3.6.

The only thing I suggest is trying to re-installing again and make sure you are rename the files correctly. I must admit I had no problem upgrading from 3.6 myself. It fact the 3.6 version has a higher bitrate than 4.0 etc. so whether it is an upgrade is questionable. The BCHobbyist MODs make it more acceptable. Make sure the files for the loader and v4 come from the Viofo site. Upgrade with the Viofo files before attempting to try a MOD. Other than following the info on BCHobbyist video there is little I can do. I always put the update on to the SD card via PC then use the eject safely option to make sure the file has gone on to the card correctly. I then Plug it into a wall powered USB Charger. Once the unit starts it will start to flash rapidly then flash slowly then flash fast again. This process can take about 1 minute. You will have to do this process for both files I would try the v4 file before you use the loader file as the A119 v2 should have the correct version of loader already but if it fails again try the loader then the update file.

Back