A119 V2 cable (as a rear dashcam)

DorDash

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi!

I have A119V2 as a front and main dashcam. I've got another A119V2 cam and I want to use it as a rear dashcam. Both of them will be connected to the cigarette socket.
Therefore I need a cigarette socket conector with 3 USB connections, in case I'd like to charge also my phone during the rides.
Moreover, the cable (almost 4M) of the dashcam is not long enough from the back of my car to the front. I need almost 8M.

Then:
1. Do you think there will be a problem to connect these 2/3 devices during the rides? There will be enough voltage for all of them?
2. I think the connector of A119V2 is mini USB type B. Do you think a long cable of 8M/10M will be OK? I know there are some who says it's a bit problamtic, but I also heard many who charge other devices with these lengths. So I'm not sure... Do you have another idea who can I use it as rear cam without using another long cable?
3. I guess mini USB type A won't work, right? only type B?

Thnkas for your help!

The problem is voltage drop over longer cable distances. USB is 5V and most extension cables are small-gauge wires, often aluminum which is coated with copper (CCA) and that breaks down over time and use. If you can find a 24ga all-copper USB cable it might work. 28ga might also work. You'd either have to try it yourself or use the same cable as someone who does this successfully with this cam. It's known that Viofo cams tend to need more robust power than most others for reliable operation so you can't compare results with other cams which may work fine with extension cables giving a lower output.

The better approach here would be to wire in a 12V source closer to the rear cam and use the supplied PS from there, the higher the voltage the lower the loss is over a given distance and size of wire. Ciggie-lighter socket extension cables are made for this but if your car has just one socket you'd have to start with a socket splitter then an extension cable to the rear, which would be clunky and messy-looking. I'd just get one of those extensions, chop off the plug, then wire it into the car's existing ciggie lighter socket downstream of the fusebox. Alternately some cars have a switched 12V wire in the back for other purposes already, and that can be tapped into for a dashcam. A car mechanic or better yet a car audio shop should be able to do this at a reasonable cost if you don't feel your DIY skills are up to it. These folks should have access to the electrical schematic for your car which would show if there's something they can easily tap into back there.

Extending the 12V is rarely a problem, extending the 5V often is but it can work sometimes. Until recent times when I did an extensive re-work of my cam wiring, I used a 5ft (1.5m) USB extension cable, I think it was a "Belkin" brand but I'm not certain, but it wasn't able to power a 2-channel cam thouch it was fine with several single-channel cams. I do know that "Monoprice" has some good cables and is an often-recommended source if you want to try the USB extension first. I'd recommend a test period before bothering to hide the wires behind trim in case it doesn't work for you.

Phil

Thanks Phil!

I'd rather not going to a car mechanic and neither not doing it by myself. It's ok for me if it would not look aesthetic. I will try to hide the wires...

What if I'd buy something like this charger:
1615669550590.png
Then connect this extension cable to the socket of the charger:

1615669068091.png
and finally connect the adapter of viofo cam?
1615669667867.png

Do you think this kind of a thing will work? Is it safety?

or maybe buying this:
1615669708678.png
I guess this won't work, right? Same as using long usb cable

extending the 12v to then use the original power supply is no problem, extending the 5v over that distance will have problems, likewise running multiple cameras from those multi USB devices is likely to be problematic also

That last device probably won't work unless the rectangular part has it's own power supply in addition to the one in the plug. It probably doesn't.

The first two devices used together will probably work since you're extending the 12V instead of the 5V. Either will be safe as the car's cigarette lighter socket is already fused, but you'd want to keep an eye on the connections as these plugs and sockets may work loose over time. I tape such connections together to prevent that.

As Jokiin says, using both of the USB sockets in the first device might leave the front cam starved for power, especially if the non-cam device uses a fast-charging scheme. I'd have to see the specs on it to say anything more certain, same for the last device. You can always try it- won't hurt anything if it doesn't work.

Phil

I missed getting hit from behind over a too long too bad quality USB wire, after that i put a 3 way 12 V splitter in the back of my car.

Something like this.
MS312USBBLW.jpg

Cut off the plug, extended the +12V wire, grabbed -12V ( ground ) of one of the bolts holding the rear seat in place, piggybacked on a 30 A fuse in the fuse box.

As Jokiin says, using both of the USB sockets in the first device might leave the front cam starved for power, especially if the non-cam device uses a fast-charging scheme. I'd have to see the specs on it to say anything more certain, same for the last device. You can always try it- won't hurt anything if it doesn't work.
Then I can not connect more then 2 dash cams, for example, I can't charge my phone while these 2 dashcams are connected?
With the first solution (the cigarette extension, then connecting the usb wire)

It might power a cam and another device together, but there is a good chance it won't. The only way to know is to try it.

The ciggie-lighter extension cable to the rear PS should not be a problem as that part is 12V and separate from the 5V USB ports in the front device.

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E A119 5
mazinger A119 34
B A119 10
Mtz A119 19
N A119 1
Back