A119 V2 GPS base issue & troubleshooting

bfollowell

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a Viofo A119 V2 over a year-and-a-half ago. Don't ask me why, but I sat on it for over a year before I finally got around to installing it. I finally installed it before going on vacation in Florida back in July. After a couple of months it wouldn't power on any longer. Through troubleshooting, I found out that it appeared to be either the GPS base I was using, or the power connectors that power the A119 V2 when it is connected to the GPS base. So, I just left it connected to the GPS base as a mounting point, and plugged the power straight into the A119. Everything has been working, just no GPS. Or so I thought. Today, after running that way for a couple of weeks, I pulled the video and noticed that my videos are still showing GPS coordinates. When I check them from known locations, like the grocery store run or video of me in the parking lot at work, they're correct, so the GPS is still working. I am assuming the the GPS base is getting power back-fed from the A119 and that the original problem has something to do with the power connector to the GPS base.

Have any of you ever ran into an issue like this?

Does my assumption that the GPS base is being powered by back-feeding through the A119 make sense and sound plausible?

I didn't search far enough. If I go back a couple of years I find this thread

Power failing to camera when using GPS mount

which sounds exactly like what I was experiencing, with the exception that now I get absolutely nothing when the power is connected to my GPS base, but the camera and GPS base work just fine when powered through the camera itself.

According to this thread, my A119 V2 should have came with the EVA foam pads, but I don't recall seeing them. Of course, who knows how long this thing sat in an Amazon warehouse before I purchased it, so mine may not have them. I'll check the box for them tomorrow and will install if I have them. If not, I may order a set from Amazon. They're only like $8 and if it fixes my issue, I'm relatively please with my A119 V2, assuming I can get this GPS base/power issue corrected.

The EVA pads came with all V2 models, so you should have them. However, the EVA pads were to help with movement between the mount and camera and to help secure the connection between the two. If you never receive power through the mount, the pads are unlikely to help.
Are the connections on the back of the camera flush with the back of the camera or are they pushed in slightly?

I'm at work at the moment. I'll have to check tomorrow.

To me, the key point is that the GPS works when the camera is powered, and nothing works when power is connected to the GPS. Unless I'm completely missing something, that tells me that power is flowing back through the GPS connections on the back of the camera and powering the GPS when power is connected the camera, so I don't think the GPS connections are, or ever were, the issue. I think the issue is the power connector on my particular GPS base.

I'll look everything over tomorrow though and report back.

I could be wrong but didn't the connectors get changed mid production from unreliable sprung pins, that caused issues to the flexible strips ?

or was that the V1 to V2 change ?

I can't say, but I have an A119 V2 and, if I understand the term correctly, mine appears to have spring pins. Still, power works in one direction, but not the other, so the GPS base to dashcam does not appear to be the issue. Mine appears to be a dead or defective power port on the GPS base.

I could be wrong but didn't the connectors get changed mid production from unreliable sprung pins, that caused issues to the flexible strips ?

or was that the V1 to V2 change ?
That was the V1 to V2 update.

Hi there My A119S V2 never shows GPS speed on my camera. It shows zero speed in red. it used to show speed in green color before. what could be the reason?

Check the 4 camera to base contacts.

Hello,
My A119S V2 camera is powered from the cigarette lighter. When I turn off the ignition, the last video is not recorded because the power is cut off. What could be the reason? Do I need to replace the super capacitor or the battery? What are their features?

Attachments

• 6B3448D8-18B3-4133-B80B-6A738EA842E4.jpeg
    6B3448D8-18B3-4133-B80B-6A738EA842E4.jpeg
    713.7 KB · Views: 9
Hello, My A119S V2 camera is powered from the cigarette lighter. When I turn off the ignition, the last video is not recorded because the power is cut off. What could be the reason? Do I need to replace the super capacitor or the battery? What are their features?

Do you mean the last file is corrupted? Normally it is a supercapacitor issue.

Do you mean the last file is corrupted? Normally it is a supercapacitor issue.
Yes. The last file is corrupt.
I want to replace the supercapacitor. What are its features? How many Farads?

I'd consider getting a V3 as the V2 is now quite old

Yes. The last file is corrupt.
I want to replace the supercapacitor. What are its features? How many Farads?
2.7 volts 3.3. Farad 105 Degrees Celcius. These do work Viofo may have altered the values in later models.

Hello, My A119S V2 camera is powered from the cigarette lighter. When I turn off the ignition, the last video is not recorded because the power is cut off. What could be the reason? Do I need to replace the super capacitor or the battery? What are their features?
You can try to temporarily use the TS video format until you find supercapacitors.

One of my previous cams had a bad connection from the USB connector onto the circuit board. It caused the cam to restart a lot. Too hard to repair due to how small/close the connections are.
You may have a similar connector issue on the GPS connector. If it works from the camera connector, be grateful.

2.7 volts 3.3. Farad 105 Degrees Celcius. These do work Viofo may have altered the values in later models.
Hi again
Viofo has 2 supercapacitors, right?

I didn't find 105 ° C.
Is the below capacitor compatible with Viofo A119S?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

3.3F 2.7V Capacitor Battery - Technical Specifications

• Brand: PlusPark
  • Capacity: 3.3F
  • Voltage: 3.7VDC
  • Tolerance: -20% ~ + 80%
  • Working Temperature: -25 ° C ~ + 70 ° C
  • It has the ability to charge and discharge 1200000 times
  • Diameter = Width: 8.1mm
  • Length = Height: 20mm

Back