A119 V2 problem turning on

DorDash

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi,
I have two A119 V2 dash cams in two different private cars (for a few months, about six months). So far they worked just fine, very good.
However, recently I noticed that sometimes these two cameras don't turn on after I start the car. For example, while I'm already driving on the highway, I heard the noise which the cam makes when it turns on. Another example (the other cam) is when it was switched off in the middle of the road, and then it came back in a few seconds (again, noticed it by the noise)...

The cams are connected to the lighter, not directly to the engine, and of course I defined it to turn on in the shortest possible time. The wires seem to be good... so what causes that?

It's winter now in my country. The temperature is lower than normal here, but not freezing, like 10-20 C degrees at night, 20 C degrees (and maybe a little more) during the day.
Can there be any connection between the cold (maybe that the engine is not heating up enough and therefore not enough electricity to the lighter)? Anyway, It does not make sense to me that a bit of cold is the reason...
Could it be related to the GPS unit? Until now there were no problems (I know that in the past there were with the old GPS unit).

So what is the reason for your opinion? :(
Thanks!

Are you using the supplied VIOFO car adapter and VIOFO USB power cable?
If your powering through the GPS mount, inspect the contacts on the mount for any bent pins/springs. Also, look at the back of the A119 and make sure the contact plate is flush with the back of the camera casing and doesn’t move around.

Are you using the supplied VIOFO car adapter and VIOFO USB power cable?
If your powering through the GPS mount, inspect the contacts on the mount for any bent pins/springs. Also, look at the back of the A119 and make sure the contact plate is flush with the back of the camera casing and doesn’t move around.
yes, as I checked all the wires and the connections are ok...

I do not think it will be temp related. For this to be occurring all of a sudden to both units is very odd. Since it's occurring in the middle of a drive and not just at the beginning, then I would think there is a power connection issue somewhere. Something is causing the cameras to loose power randomly. Again, this is odd for them both to start this behavior all of a sudden and basically at the same time. If you are applying power through the GPS mounts, then I would start by applying power directly to the camera instead. GPS will still work. Run it like this and see if the issue still occurs.
Have you recently updated both units?

I do not think it will be temp related. For this to be occurring all of a sudden to both units is very odd. Since it's occurring in the middle of a drive and not just at the beginning, then I would think there is a power connection issue somewhere. Something is causing the cameras to loose power randomly. Again, this is odd for them both to start this behavior all of a sudden and basically at the same time. If you are applying power through the GPS mounts, then I would start by applying power directly to the camera instead. GPS will still work. Run it like this and see if the issue still occurs.
Have you recently updated both units?
I've updated both units on september 2018

Is the problem related to one vehicle or both? If just one then it has got to be a power supply problem. If it happens in both vehicles it maybe a bad flash of the firmware. Try flashing them again following the exact method found on the MODS chat on doing it correctly. it is extremely strange that both should exhibit the same problem. If connect by cigar lighter socket sometimes they lose power at the slightest knock or if you turn on to start the engine after the A119 as started, the power to the socket can be lost momentary whilst the engine starts thus causing the A119 to turn off and not always automatically restarting. Try a longer delay in the settings.

Is the problem related to one vehicle or both? If just one then it has got to be a power supply problem. If it happens in both vehicles it maybe a bad flash of the firmware. Try flashing them again following the exact method found on the MODS chat on doing it correctly. it is extremely strange that both should exhibit the same problem. If connect by cigar lighter socket sometimes they lose power at the slightest knock or if you turn on to start the engine after the A119 as started, the power to the socket can be lost momentary whilst the engine starts thus causing the A119 to turn off and not always automatically restarting. Try a longer delay in the settings.

One car for sure, as for the second I need to check again but I think they both have this problem - turn off alone for some seconds and then they turn on again.
I use the wires and the charger I've got from the original boxes...
I don't think it's the firmware because up untill now they were just fine... just recently it started... so weird... maybe I will update again the firmware. Is there any new version since September 2018?

Not sure I understood your last part's post. Do you think I should change the delay-time? again - it was fine a month ago (and even more, since September)

It worth a try with the delay timing. I had a similar problem that a few extra seconds on the delay sorted out. If you turn on the ignition and let the Dashcam start before you start the engine the power to the dashcams is removed and they turn off and do not always restart. Try to start the engine within the delay timer setting.

I had a similar type of problem with a V1 unit a year ago. I was going to chuck the unit as it was outside of warranty, and read about re-flashing to resolve issues. I went backwards to an earlier firmware and to my amazement it started working perfectly again. I then re-flashed to a modded more recent version and it has stayed working perfectly. I would give a re-flash a try,

I realize you said you checked the wires, but this sounds like a hesitation/movement in power, that would lead me to recheck the wiring again especially the ground wire, a slightly loose wire can cause severe headaches, LOL.
Another area to check is the power supply in the cigar holder, it must be a good snug fit or it can vibrate possibly causing small/quick shutoffs in the supplied power.

Last edited:
Back