A119 V2 problem - unresponsive when SD card installed

Dave2000

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was noticing that my A119 V2 in my back window was not turning off the screen after a few minutes. In fact it never turned off the screen even after driving for over an hour (was set for 1 minute).

Bench tested it - had weird blocks at the bottom of the screen. Could not get to the menus unless I removed the SD card then powered it up. I reset the unit to defaults, set all the parameters, turned it off, inserted the microsd card, no more funny blocks at the bottom but the clock is stuck after counting up 1 second, buttons beep but they do nothing. If I power down, remove the microsd card and power it up, unit responds like it should.

I've tried:
- 3 different microsd cards - no change. 2 - 64GB cards, 1 - 32GB card, all formatted FAT32 on a PC (I'm not able to format in the camera)
- updating the FW (was V1.7), unit will do the same thing - it won't load the new FW at all. Each time I power it up, it just boots, and locks up. Doesn't even try and load the FW.
- I checked the supercaps, they seem to maintain voltage when disconnected for a short while

Any ideas what's wrong? I have a new, in-the-box A119 V3 I can swap it in, but I just read my V2 GPS stuck on the window isn't compatible with V3 and I don't look forward to aligning/sticking a new V3 on the back window if I don't have to.

Thanks all.

Given that the wiring is the same I'd be swapping mounts and using the V3 as it sounds like the V2 has expired.

Only thing left is to format one of the cards in the V3 and and try it in the V2.

Since you have a V3 at your disposal and a reason to upgrade, it's a no-brainer.

I was noticing that my A119 V2 in my back window was not turning off the screen after a few minutes. In fact it never turned off the screen even after driving for over an hour (was set for 1 minute).

Bench tested it - had weird blocks at the bottom of the screen. Could not get to the menus unless I removed the SD card then powered it up. I reset the unit to defaults, set all the parameters, turned it off, inserted the microsd card, no more funny blocks at the bottom but the clock is stuck after counting up 1 second, buttons beep but they do nothing. If I power down, remove the microsd card and power it up, unit responds like it should.

I've tried:
- 3 different microsd cards - no change. 2 - 64GB cards, 1 - 32GB card, all formatted FAT32 on a PC (I'm not able to format in the camera)
- updating the FW (was V1.7), unit will do the same thing - it won't load the new FW at all. Each time I power it up, it just boots, and locks up. Doesn't even try and load the FW.
- I checked the supercaps, they seem to maintain voltage when disconnected for a short while

Any ideas what's wrong? I have a new, in-the-box A119 V3 I can swap it in, but I just read my V2 GPS stuck on the window isn't compatible with V3 and I don't look forward to aligning/sticking a new V3 on the back window if I don't have to.

Thanks all.
You could try one other option.
The problem you have was common in the early models.
There was another program used which is a boot loader. Reapplying this boot loader may fix this problem.
This is different to firmware update.

You could try one other option.
The problem you have was common in the early models.
There was another program used which is a boot loader. Reapplying this boot loader may fix this problem.
This is different to firmware update.
I did try that also, no luck.

It's as though the unit cannot read an SD card anymore.

I'll try and format a card in the V3 unit and put it in the V2 unit and see if that changes the symptoms at all.

I did try that also, no luck.

It's as though the unit cannot read an SD card anymore.

I'll try and format a card in the V3 unit and put it in the V2 unit and see if that changes the symptoms at all.
Tried formatting the card in the V3 camera, then loading the new FW file, put it into the V2 camera - no luck. Also tried it with the bootloader file. Whatever the problem is, it has to do with trying to use the SD card.

I took the V2 camera completely apart but didn't find anything obvious. Then spent the next half hour swapping the V2 GPS with the V3 GPS so I can use the V3 A119. It was quite difficult getting the old mount off without also damaging the defogger lines. V3 is installed and I'm happy.

The easiest way is to use a long piece of dental floss in a sawing action.

That can release enough to get a start and slowly peel it off.

The easiest way is to use a long piece of dental floss in a sawing action.

That can release enough to get a start and slowly peel it off.
Tried that, it would barely penetrate before breaking. Used thicker string and it did a little better but would still break. I was able to get through 1/4 of the double sided tape and then pried it off

Sorry for reviving the topic. I have the exact same thing like Dave2000 with a VIOFO A119 V1. It has firmware A119.160829.V1.1. Tried to update the firmware, but nothing happens. The camera died I presume?

Sorry for reviving the topic. I have the exact same thing like Dave2000 with a VIOFO A119 V1. It has firmware A119.160829.V1.1. Tried to update the firmware, but nothing happens. The camera died I presume?
To get Dave to notice your post put the @ in front of his profile name @Dave2000

He did mention he pulled it apart and also looks like he used the V2 gps module on his newer V3 A119.

I was not able to fix it. I just swapped it out for a V3. I would’ve liked to have kept the V2 GPS module, then I wouldn’t have to remove it from the window, but alas V2 gps is not compatible with V3 so I had to swap both.

I would’ve liked to have kept the V2 GPS module,

I have both the v2 and v3 and am aware of the gps change but thought you might have adapted it.
Thanks for the update.

Cheers D.

Back