A119 V2 w/GPS stopped recording - Corrupted files w/no error screen

Yigga

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two A119V2, one in my Lexus and one my dad's Corolla. I don't drive my dad's Corolla however I had him pick me up from the airport today and I always like to make sure everything is in working orders and found out during the drive home, nothing recorded. While I was driving I noticed that the screen was on the entire time (I set it to go off after 1 minute) so that was a red flag. Then I noticed there was no red dot to indicate that it was recording even though the physical REC button was lit up red. I tried pressing all the buttons but nothing was able to make it record. Well I'm home right now and I looked at the files and all of the files that were recording today was corrupted. I have the latest firmware update on the A119 and I'm currently using a Samsung 64GB EVO (Green card) for my dad's Corolla whereas my Lexus I have a Samsung 64GB EVO (red card). I'm not sure if there's a difference. I even tried deleting all of the files and it still won't record. It shows no errors.

Attachments

• 20171013_183920.jpg
    20171013_183920.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 29
try to reload the firmware, then format the card in a camera

I have two A119V2, one in my Lexus and one my dad's Corolla. I don't drive my dad's Corolla however I had him pick me up from the airport today and I always like to make sure everything is in working orders and found out during the drive home, nothing recorded. While I was driving I noticed that the screen was on the entire time (I set it to go off after 1 minute) so that was a red flag. Then I noticed there was no red dot to indicate that it was recording even though the physical REC button was lit up red. I tried pressing all the buttons but nothing was able to make it record. Well I'm home right now and I looked at the files and all of the files that were recording today was corrupted. I have the latest firmware update on the A119 and I'm currently using a Samsung 64GB EVO (Green card) for my dad's Corolla whereas my Lexus I have a Samsung 64GB EVO (red card). I'm not sure if there's a difference. I even tried deleting all of the files and it still won't record. It shows no errors.
The XXXXX issue is a known firmware bug. Reload the firmware, being sure to manually default the cameras settings after the update.

See this thread for similar problems: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a119s-stopped-working.28058/. This is just one of several. Are you sure your cameras are A119 cameras instead of A119S cameras, since this problem mostly affects A119S models? To add to what @borik said, format your card in the good camera, then download firmware from here http://support.viofo.com/support/home, then Load the firmware, default your settings using the "Default Settings" menu selection, then set your settings as desired. Check the "Firmware Version" to verify the proper version was installed.

Okay, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I re-uploaded the firmware and formatted it to default settings and also went a step ahead and reformatted the card to start fresh. The 'XXXXXXX's are gone and it's back to recording. My only concern is how long will this work for until it stops recording again? I never drive my parent's car so I won't be able to check up on it all the time. It just so happened to have "luckily" failed when I was in the car.

Okay, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I re-uploaded the firmware and formatted it to default settings and also went a step ahead and reformatted the card to start fresh. The 'XXXXXXX's are gone and it's back to recording. My only concern is how long will this work for until it stops recording again? I never drive my parent's car so I won't be able to check up on it all the time. It just so happened to have "luckily" failed when I was in the car.
@Yigga please tell us the camera model of problem camera (A119 or A119S). Suggestion for parent's camera: Set screensaver to 30 Seconds or more and ask your parents to occasionally check the LCD screen a few seconds after ignition for the blinking red dot indicating that the camera is recording. For this particular problem, the Steady ON indication of the REC button light is not a reliable indicator that the camera is recording.

@Yigga please tell us the camera model of problem camera (A119 or A119S). Suggestion for parent's camera: Set screensaver to 30 Seconds or more and ask your parents to occasionally check the LCD screen a few seconds after ignition for the blinking red dot indicating that the camera is recording. For this particular problem, the Steady ON indication of the REC button light is not a reliable indicator that the camera is recording.

The model is an A119V2. Not the A119S. I did set it to 30 seconds for now and I'll warn my parents, if this happens again the culprit might be the SD card. I know certain brands or models of SD cards doesn't play well with dashcams.

i've had no issues with the orange samsung evo cards in my a119 cameras. it's sandisk (usually the cheap red/gray ones) that you need to avoid.

i've had no issues with the orange samsung evo cards in my a119 cameras. it's sandisk (usually the cheap red/gray ones) that you need to avoid.
Same. I have the orange Samsung EVO in my Lexus and it works flawlessly. My dad has the green one, I'm going to buy another orange Samsung EVO to ensure that the card isn't the culprit.

Back