A119 V2 WONT PLAY RANDOM VIDEOS ON PC

U mean turn off the camera by switch off car/take the USB cable off or there's a way to turn off the camera by pressing some button?
Pull the cable out. Actually either way should do the same thing. Edit: You can also long press the Power button. Edit2: Pulling the cable better for timing the duration the REC light stays on.

Last edited:
Iv
I've checked the led indicator and its fine
Try powering the camera with an alternate power supply circuit: Take camera indoors and power with the supplied short cable and a USB wall charger. Or power with supplied short cable and a dumb +5Vdc USB battery bank.
If i watched that particular video on the camera itself next time i playing it on the pc> worked just fine.
strange,
Yes, playing a corrupt file back in the camera may repair the file so that it will play on the computer.

Pull the cable out. Actually either way should do the same thing. Edit: You can also long press the Power button. Edit2: Pulling the cable better for timing the duration the REC light stays on.
Long press of the power button won’t help determine if caps are bad. That will just allow the camera to power down normally while power is connected. Definitely best to just pull the power cable.

some random video file wont play.
what you call "random" files may not be so random for a camera.
look at the list of your video files. each Power On creates the first file with a number at the end starting with 001, the second file will have 002 at the end and so on. the last file when the camera looses the power will have the biggest number. try to play only the last file of each "trip". if out of 10 last files 2-3 or more won't play, your problem is (time to replace) the capacitors. any other files in between 001 and the last file that won't play may indicate a bad connection on power delivery to a camera.

what you call "random" files may not be so random for a camera.
look at the list of your video files. each Power On creates the first file with a number at the end starting with 001, the second file will have 002 at the end and so on. the last file when the camera looses the power will have the biggest number. try to play only the last file of each "trip". if out of 10 last files 2-3 or more won't play, your problem is (time to replace) the capacitors. any other files in between 001 and the last file that won't play may indicate a bad connection on power delivery to a camera.

"try to play only the last file of each "trip"
This is why I started another thread asking for the file counter to be continuous for the day. You don't have to guess if the file is the last in that block of recording.

File naming convention sequential numbering for the entire day e.g. 24hrs

This is why I started another thread asking for the file counter to be continuous for the day. You don't have to guess if the file is the last in that block of recording.
let's say you have 3 trips 30 minutes duration each. in today's naming rules you'll have 3 sets of files from 001 to 009 at the end and 3 of them are the last files, some of which are corrupted, what would indicate the problem with the capacitors. in your naming the files for the whole day how would you identify the corrupted files are the last ones of the recording?

let's say you have 3 trips 30 minutes duration each. in today's naming rules you'll have 3 sets of files from 001 to 009 at the end and 3 of them are the last files, some of which are corrupted, what would indicate the problem with the capacitors. in your naming the files for the whole day how would you identify the corrupted files are the last ones of the recording?

I only want the counter to count all day e.g. 001 up to 999 or higher if Viofo want to alter the counter by one extra digit, not change the rest of the file naming structure.
If the dash cam is working as it should then every file will have a date and time stamp on it. When the time jumps then you know the previous file is the last file of the that block.
How do you know for sure the last file is the ninth?
I do agree with you about possible capacitor problems.

How do you know for sure the last file is the ninth?
assuming you use the default setting "3 minutes loop", I said it just for an example. the camera is capacitors based and those don't hold the capacitance 100% over the time or use, that's why I agree with the existing file naming rules - it's easy to identify or illuminate the problem with the capacitors.

@borik
My understanding is that the capacitors are only used twice, once to charge when the dashcam starts and once when the dashcam loses power (ignition is turned off). The reason they are there is to make sure the dashcam keeps running long enough to close the last file properly (Less than ~5 seconds). No other file will be corrupt because the dashcam is being powered by the battery supply of the car or powerbank.

Either way you have to read the counter to find the last assumed file, or in my suggestion read the time stamp.

If there is a glitch in the power supply while the car is on then it is possible for the dashcam to attempt to close the file (discharge the capacitors) but if power is recovered just before the file has been closed then there is a chance the file will be corrupted and the counter may not reflect this correctly as it may not count that file at all.

The only way to tell in this case is to look at the file size and the recording time. If the counter reset then you assume the previous file was the last for that trip which would be incorrect but you can't tell because the counter has started again from .001 In my experience you could loose 3, 5 or 10 minutes of recording and not know until you watch the files on a computer in succession.

If the counter was sequentially counting a missing number would highlight a fault with the recordings, whether it be faulty capacitors or a wiring problem or a lose dashcam on its gps mount even the cigarette lighter being bumped out of position momentarily.

Thanks for sharing your view.

assuming you use the default setting "3 minutes loop", I said it just for an example. the camera is capacitors based and those don't hold the capacitance 100% over the time or use, that's why I agree with the existing file naming rules - it's easy to identify or illuminate the problem with the capacitors.
Have to agree, now the counter resets each time the camera powers down. This does help identify a capacitor problem if the last file in the series continues to be corrupt.

@borik
My understanding is that the capacitors are only used twice, once to charge when the dashcam starts and once when the dashcam loses power (ignition is turned off).
if you connect a camera through a simple multimeter you'll see that the voltage and amperage varies every second and just by looking at the amperage is easy to come to a conclusion that the capacitors get charged and discharged about once a second (on my multimeter), may be even more often.

If both capacitors are bad, the camera probably won't even start. I have seen at least one A119/A119S experience this (long time ago - caps have since been upgraded). I have also seen random restarts due to one bad cap, so it can occur in the middle of a drive. It can be easier to pick this issue up when the counter restarts at the next reboot.

if you connect a camera through a simple multimeter you'll see that the voltage and amperage varies every second and just by looking at the amperage is easy to come to a conclusion that the capacitors get charged and discharged about once a second (on my multimeter), may be even more often.

Sounds like you have a poor supply to the camera if it is varying so much. Placing a CRO on the capacitors would be an accurate way to see what's happening. The processor may be pulling more power while making the video's but the power supply should be keeping up with the power requirements. The caps may be doing double time perhaps as a power filter or they may need topping up regularly on a journey. Without a cct diagram it's just guessing.

Regardless the purpose of the capacitor is to replace the lipo battery which was used to close the last file correctly.

Sounds like you have a poor supply to the camera if it is varying so much.
do yourself a test.
get a simple multimeter like I have 2 (see a picture below), connect a camera to a multimeter and multimeter to any power source and let as know what you see.
41jyky8FYmL._AC_US200_.jpg

Last edited:
Back