A119 v3.3 bug (Closed)

Frenky Tan

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo, 119 Pro, 119S, Yi DashCam
I used latest version v3.3.
I won't stay recording or overwrite when the card is full?

Did you manually default the cameras settings after the update?
What memory card are you using?

Yes i did, the unit always hang unexpected functions if the card full. Now I'm flashing back to v3.1
I'm not sure if mine is v1 or v2 hardware, I'm guessing v1. Does hardware version effect on this v3.3?
BTW I'm using sandisk endurance 64gb and including GPS logger.

Last edited:
Yes i did, the unit always hang unexpected functions if the card full. Now I'm flashing back to v3.1
I'm not sure if mine is v1 or v2 hardware, I'm guessing v1. Does hardware version effect on this v3.3?
BTW I'm using sandisk endurance 64gb and including GPS logger.
V1 or V2 does not matter for firmware. Are you saying that you downgraded to v3.1 and the camera now loops and records fine? As far as I know, there is no difference between V3.1 and V3.3. I think the latter is just the official release.

V1 or V2 does not matter for firmware. Are you saying that you downgraded to v3.1 and the camera now loops and records fine? As far as I know, there is no difference between V3.1 and V3.3. I think the latter is just the official release.

I just downgraded, still under monitoring. I guess need to wait until the card is full.

Until now it seem v3.1 (06-Aug-2017) is more stable then v3.3 (03-Sep-2017).
How to I see all Viofo A119 release firmware and all the change log?

if you don't set a loop recording time, it will record till the card is full then stop. you need to specify a loop time like 1, 3, 5, 10 minutes. personally i use 1 minute.

if you don't set a loop recording time, it will record till the card is full then stop. you need to specify a loop time like 1, 3, 5, 10 minutes. personally i use 1 minute.

If i can recall correctly, the recording option was, off, 1 min, 2 mins, 3 mins and 5 mins. So i choose 3 mins.

I never set loop recording off. After few times hang, after i Flashed again previously with v3.3 i didn't configured anything, all by default, but still hang after sometimes. So now I'm back to v3.1

Last edited:
If i can recall correctly, the recording option was, off, 1 min, 2 mins, 3 mins and 5 mins. So i choose 3 mins.

I never set loop recording off. After few times hang, after i Flashed again previously with v3.3 i didn't configured anything, all by default, but still hang after sometimes. So now I'm back to v3.1

For testing suggest you change to 30FPS and disable G-Sensor and Parking Mode and Motion Detection temporarly, format the card in dashcam and use it for a few days to see if it fails to over-write..

I been using 3.1 until now, it seem no issues, i keep using this version until the is update above version 3.3.

Last edited:
While I'm been using v3.1 about 2 days i never start my car, it seem a119 losses the setting and need to redo all over the setting again, date & time. I'm guessing the capacitor drained up? Or what could be the issue about this? Should I post new thread about this?

Yesterday I discovered the unit was hang, no response if I press any button on it.
If I take out the SDcard from the unit it will response but the moment put in back the SDcard the device still hang and rebooted then hang again.
Even I formatted my SDcard, put it in the SDcard and power it on, the device still hang.
So I flashed using again and running back on v3.3, the SDcard was 1.5G of 64GB remaining left before I wipe it off.

Somehow I good feeling the device got issue, it only work and stand less then 2 weeks the most only less 3 weeks. What is the cause of this? it seem I my unit not stable more then a month.

Sounds like the X-box problem or a variation of such. It happens mostly on the A119S but have seen two cases of it happening on the A119. The basic cause is unknown, but the fix is known. If the A119 is hanging up, reload your firmware and manually default your settings using the "Default Setting" menu selection. If you are still having problems, try reloading the Boot Loader firmware first, before loading the V3.3 firmware and manually defaulting the settings. Make sure you don't have any power supply problems causing LCD screen flickering or power cycling. Here is one of many threads describing this issue: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a119s-stopped-working.28058/page-4#post-367258. Read the whole thread. It is possible that it is a hardware problem, most likely a ribbon cable seating problem. If all else fails, talk to your seller about a return. I ran V3.1 and V3.3 firmware and both were stable, but the X-box problem can infrequently strike unexpectedly, seemingly at random. It happened to me on my A119S.

Last edited:
Sounds like the X-box problem or a variation of such. It happens mostly on the A119S but have seen two cases of it happening on the A119. The basic cause is unknown, but the fix is known. If the A119 is hanging up, reload your firmware and manually default your settings using the "Default Setting" menu selection. If you are still having problems, try reloading the Boot Loader firmware first, before loading the V3.3 firmware and manually defaulting the settings. Make sure you don't have any power supply problems causing LCD screen flickering or power cycling. Here is one of many threads describing this issue: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a119s-stopped-working.28058/page-4#post-367258. Read the whole thread. It is possible that it is a hardware problem, most likely a ribbon cable seating problem. If all else fails, talk to your seller about a return. I ran V3.1 and V3.3 firmware and both were stable, but the X-box problem can infrequently strike unexpectedly, seemingly at random. It happened to me on my A119S.

When I on v3.1, first time discovered the unit it hang, the LCD screen was flickering but not power cycling. Just hang.

Then I performed:
1. Power cycle multiple times with SDcard on it, the screen flicker still there and still hang on main menu, no indication of recording.
2. Power cycle without SDcard, the screen not flicker but working and response whenever I pressed the buttons, but not functioning when I inserted the SDcard back in it power cycle itself, no screen flicker, but hang on same main menu screen, no indication of recording.
3. Power off the unit, wipe off the SDcard, put back into the unit, no screen flicker, hang on same main menu screen, no indication of recording.
4. Flash using v3.3 now.

If I can recall when I use v3.3 I have same issue with v3.1, so now i'm back to v3.3.

I not sure if this the firmware issue on v3.3 or v3.1.

The firmware loader and instruction should I follow from this site?
http://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000019600-viofo-a119-car-dash-camera-firmware
The firmware loader it seem to be v1.1 I use this when i'm on v3.3?

Last edited:
When I on v3.1, first time discovered the unit it hang, the LCD screen was flickering but not power cycling. Just hang.

Then I performed:
1. Power cycle multiple times with SDcard on it, the screen flicker still there and still hang on main menu, no indication of recording.
2. Power cycle without SDcard, the screen not flicker but working and response whenever I pressed the buttons, but not functioning when I inserted the SDcard back in it power cycle itself, no screen flicker, but hang on same main menu screen, no indication of recording.
3. Power off the unit, wipe off the SDcard, put back into the unit, no screen flicker, hang on same main menu screen, no indication of recording.
4. Flash using v3.3 now.

If I can recall when I use v3.3 I have same issue with v3.1, so now i'm back to v3.3.

I not sure if this the firmware issue on v3.3 or v3.1.

The firmware loader and instruction should I follow from this site?
http://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000019600-viofo-a119-car-dash-camera-firmware
The firmware loader it seem to be v1.1 I use this when i'm on v3.3?
Yes this is the correct site, the Viofo support page for the A119 firmware. The boot loader is the file LDBA119.bin. This file is normally not required to be loaded unless you upgrade the firmware from a version earlier than V2.0. It just allows firmware versions 2.0 and later to be loaded properly. This is consistent with the Viofo instructions on the support page you referenced. So technically, you only need to load the boot loader if your original firmware version was earlier than version 2.0 and you have not previously loaded the boot loader. I suggested it because you seem to continue to have problems after reloading firmware versions 3.1 and 3.3 and maybe don't remember what the original firmware version was. It's up to you to decide if you want to load it or not. There was a recent case I read about where this action helped solve one user's problem: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/settings-not-saving-after-power-off.31322/page-2#post-370494. I don't think it will hurt anything to load it even if it has been loaded before and it might help.

It's difficult for me to separate out whether the problems your having are the result of scrambled firmware, insufficient power to the A119, or both. The blinking LCD screen is a sign of marginal power being supplied to the A119 and if the A119 automatically turns itself on and off, i.e., automatically cycles power, this is a sure sign of insufficient power being provided to the A119. The camera demands a lot more power when recording than when not recording (example start up or menu mode) so may work OK until it tries to record. There may be sufficient power to turn on, but insufficient power when the camera tries to start recording, so it will turn itself off and then back on, and continue cycling over a period 0f as little as 15 seconds per cycle or more.

To separate camera problems from vehicle power problems, power the camera indoors using the Viofo supplied short cable with a +5 Vdc USB battery bank or +5 Vdc USB wall charger. Use the A119 side input port (mini USB) for power with or without the GPS mount (GPS should still work). To just operate the A119 indoors, don't connect to a PC or equivalent USB port because that will initiate the A119 blue screen Mass Storage mode used to load firmware. You can now operate and test the camera independent from the car's power supply.

Once you have sufficient and stable power to the A119, check the operation again. If you are still having problems, try reloading the firmware. If you choose to load the Boot Loader, do that first, i.e., following the Viofo instructions. Don't forget to manually default your settings using the "Default Setting" menu selection as soon as possible after reloading firmware. I would just change one setting, for example "Time Zone", until determining that the camera will hold changed settings after a power down. Again test your camera indoors with a known good power supply and go from there. Not holding settings is a sign that the new firmware may not have loaded successfully, even if the version number says it did.

Last edited:
While I'm been using v3.1 about 2 days i never start my car, it seem a119 losses the setting and need to redo all over the setting again, date & time.
P.S. to my last post: Not holding settings is telling me that the firmware V3.1 did not load properly. For the same reason V3.3 probably didn't load properly. I think you need to load the boot loader before reloading the firmware V3.1 or V3.3 as outlined in my previous post. You only need to change one setting to test it (I suggest "Time Zone"), then power down, then power back up and check to see if the setting held. If the setting holds, you are probably good to go from a firmware standpoint. {Edit: If only date and time are not holding, the problem could be the RTC (Real Time Clock) battery which is a hardware problem. This can also affect the way the A119 does loop recording since the date/time is not correct, which I noted you also complained about.}

Last edited:
The blinking LCD screen is a sign of marginal power being supplied to the A119 and if the A119 automatically turns itself on and off, i.e., automatically cycles power, this is a sure sign of insufficient power being provided to the A119.

Now it seem I realized one part why the LCD screen was flickering.
During in parking mode, I switch over the camera to jump start power power bank, I guess this is the issue when I found recently.

So if I could narrow down there are 2 issues I counter:
1. Settings gone after 2 days never start my car > I guess I need to try the the boot loader thing.
2. Hang up and LCD flickering > I guess after the power bank losses power the camera starting acting behavior with limited power supply. I try to keep in mind about this.

Now it seem I realized one part why the LCD screen was flickering.
During in parking mode, I switch over the camera to jump start power power bank, I guess this is the issue when I found recently.

So if I could narrow down there are 2 issues I counter:
1. Settings gone after 2 days never start my car > I guess I need to try the the boot loader thing.
2. Hang up and LCD flickering > I guess after the power bank losses power the camera starting acting behavior with limited power supply. I try to keep in mind about this.
What is your status now? When your settings are not holding after a power down, is it just Date and Time that don't hold, or is it most of the ones you change from default that don't hold? Is the camera still not functioning properly now or still freezing up?

Camera now function as normal after I flash it again with version 3.3.
My biggest issue is the LCD flickering and the camera won't response if there is SDcard in it.
I guess this issue occur when I used power bank as parking mode to recording together with other 2 Xiaoyi dashcam, I will watch out this.

Other issue is I can't simulate because I need to leave the camera off about 2 days, including date and time don't hold. I never test if using default don't hold.
The most obviously the startup sound, light and screensaver was coming back after I set disable.

So now I will monitor the progress v3.3 if there issue after a week or 2.

Back